Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 AM

212 posts, read 699,797 times

Advertisements

This is a big problem that has flown below the media radar.Try helpchinesedrywall.com.,or google chinese wallboard.If doing any reno with sheetrock be very cautious.There is a big problem in florida.Lots of this rock in inventories.Beware of this contaminated rock being trucked to other states for sale.Millions of boards were shipped from china from 2000 to 2007.Please learn and investigate before any sheetrock purchases,or any purchase of any home,especially in florida,carolinas,louisianna.By the end of the year,entire neighborhoods in florida may be bulldozed.This stuff is made from toxic waste.It corrodes metals,and gives people nose bleeds.Up to 100,000 homes in florida may be toxic,....new construction or any renovated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 08:32 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
This has been covered here before but nothing wrong with keeping it in the public eye again. During this economic depression people always look to save money....thus overflowing parking lots in Walmarts who only sell Chinese made trash.

Yes Chinese drywall is delaminating right before the homeowners eyes and yes the chemicals they use to make it are making families sick. There should be NO chemicals used in the manufacture. Drywall is nothing but gypsum mined from the ground with nothing added. It is sandwiched between two sheets of paper. Why is China puttng dangerous formaldehyde in drywall?

In the cabinet business I have to deal with the new inbound Chinese made cabinets. Yes they are made of all wood and you can do a whole kitchen for $1500. But the 5 ply plywood is infested with formaldehyde and saving $2000 on your kitchen cabinets becomes a nightmare when kids are getting deathly ill and medical bills rise. Only to sometimes not even figure out what's wrong. Chinese govt owns the forest so there is no cost for the materials. Just the 10 cents a day they pay for labor. That is how you can buy cabinets for your whole kitchen for $1500. So I have to educate people but thats ok.

Those in the roofing business are complaining to me too. It seems Chinese made OSB (Oriented strand board) or (Wafer board) is disintegrating and the weight of the roof shingles are making roofs cave in. This is devastating to a small business who has to now redo the roof at great cost. All this while the lumber yards have no liability by deceiving the public. Or are they deceiving anyone? While goods sold are required by law to have the country of origin stamped or printed, lumber does not. Some is but who looks at it?

Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 AM

410 posts, read 1,676,077 times
This was in today's newpaper.
Also you can go to Home | HADD - Home Owners Against Deficient Dwellings and HomeOwners for Better Building - Home.
Both sites have been compiling articles on this problem.

Chinese drywall poses potential risks to homeowners | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6369150.html - broken link)

Old 04-11-2009, 04:14 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
....Yes Chinese drywall is delaminating right before the homeowners eyes and yes the chemicals they use to make it are making families sick. There should be NO chemicals used in the manufacture. Drywall is nothing but gypsum mined from the ground with nothing added. It is sandwiched between two sheets of paper. Why is China puttng dangerous formaldehyde in drywall?
They are not putting formaldehyde in the drywall. So far, it looks like strontium sulfate may be the culprit causing all the problems. This is a naturally occurring mineral and may be an associate (natural occurance) in the gypsum field (mine) being used. It can be found in the US too, very pretty when in crystal form. At this point, the Chinese are "investigating" and US agencies are conducting more tests to verify the cause of the problem. Most gypsum goes through some treatment before being used for drywall. There is no real proof at this time that this is making folks sick. So far, testing has shown that the amounts are not enough to cause illness. A foul odor and psychological issues can cause a lot of folks to get sick though. I would actually like to see the test data though, based on the reports so far. Never-the-less, it should not be in sheetrock where it can offgas.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
So I built my house in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 2003...If I, nor any other residents, have not suffered from nosebleeds, mystery ailments, would I be safe to assume that I do not have the drywall in question?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
So I built my house in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 2003...If I, nor any other residents, have not suffered from nosebleeds, mystery ailments, would I be safe to assume that I do not have the drywall in question?
You should be safe. Cheap Chinese junk construction products began really entering the USA after your house was built. Of course regular Chinese goods have been coming here for years but the construction goods were a recent thing.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:02 PM

410 posts, read 1,676,077 times
I spoke at length with Tom Martin of America's Watchdog. He said it has been traced back as far as 2001. There are some letters on the back of the drywall that would indciate if it is -Knauf G, as well as your a/c and appliances going out of commission would be a good start.
Lots of info on google.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
okay, so how does one know if they have chinese drywall?? lol I had my home built and completed in 2007 in NC...Centex was the builder...I don't have any symptoms mentioned and none of my walls show any signs of damage, collapses, etc...How do I know where the drywall came from?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
okay, so how does one know if they have chinese drywall?? lol I had my home built and completed in 2007 in NC...Centex was the builder...I don't have any symptoms mentioned and none of my walls show any signs of damage, collapses, etc...How do I know where the drywall came from?
Centex is a pretty reputable builder,they likely did not use Chinese drywall. On the back side the word China is printed in red while all other drywall brands are printed in black, green or blue.

The vast majority of Chinese drywall went to Florida.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 25,423 times
Default cheap is expensive

Next time a builder offer you a price. DO NOT Negotiate too much.
ASK for American made (or German or Italian in certain things).
As a contractor i become peeved when cost of materials is too much of an issue, because in the end, i do not lower my quality (USE SHEETROCK BRAND), and end up buying the good materials anyway.
I do not allow homeowners to buy their paint, or Sheetrock or wood.
The only thing they can purchase for me is their window treatments, and I recommend blinds to go made in Canada.
Though i feel bad for all of you whom have gotten a raw deal, I was in the Louisiana area since Katrina offering my services and most likely you did it to yourselves. My price has been fair, my work guaranteed, and my techniques old school. I was underbid many times by the guys that put up your walls. Live and learn.
Since you obviously asked for insurance, Like you did me, but thought it was too high to pay, call them back to change it out with a lawsuit filed against them.
I know I wont get any calls, because i didn't buy any of that rubber plasterboard for my customers. I used Behr and paints, and SHEETROCK TAPE and JOINT COMPOUND.
So the saying goes, cheap is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House