Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,198 times

Advertisements

The bathroom upstairs has been cleaned, sanitized, walls and floors washed, deodorized...everything I can think of. But it still smells (sorry everybody) of urine. I have cleaned it many many times and the smell is still there, even when no one has used it.
There is no carpet.
Can anyone help? None of our other bathrooms has this problem.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
maybe the wax ring need to be replaced...

Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
maybe the wax ring need to be replaced...
That'd be the first thing I'd check - a failed seal under the toilet. A relatively easy (albeit somewhat messy) DIY project.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I concur about the wax ring. Was this bathroom remodeled? Sometimes people will re-tile a bathroom but will not put an offset over the old drain flange. It doesn't guarantee that you will have a bad seal, but makes it much easier to bollucks-up the toilet installation. If you do not have a good seal with the wax ring some dirty toilet water can work its way into the space under your toilet and ferment, imparting that distinctive, full-bodied pee aroma to the room or you just get bad gases bypassing the trap in your toilet. It really is a pretty simple job, you just need a bit of elbow grease and willingness to get dirty for a moment. Check out this manual for a better idea of whether or not you can DIY: Replacing A Toilet Wax Bowl Ring - Fixing The Constant Foul Odor In The Bathroom

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 04-20-2009 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
And if you have plywood floors the pee will soak into the plywood and not go away no matter how much you recover it.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
An issue I've seen a time or two is that drains smell when they aren't used. So pour a cup or two od water down the drain each morning. This worked in a building I used to work in.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
I don't know if this is your situation but I noticed an absolute sewer smell in our bathroom although it was cleaned. What happened was the garden tub hadn't been used in a couple of years because we always used the shower, or the regular tub in the other bathroom. Somehow it dried out in the pipes and stunk. Now that I run water every once in a while in the garden tub if we haven't been using it, it has quit stinking.
I agree with mrpeatie.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I had a similar problem and pulled the toilet to replace the wax ring but found it was not the ring (which of course I replaced with the unit up) but the floor under the toilet. A cleaning before reinstalling the toilet solved the problem.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
My house used to belong to my grandfather before he passed away. He was elderly and disabled so many times he didn't exactly "ring the bowl". What happened was the pee went into the crack under the toilet, so even though everything visible in the bathroom was cleaned, the pee was still under there. When I moved in I decided to gut the whole bathroom, and when I pulled up the toilet I discovered that the pee had gotten under the linoleum and soaked into the plywood subfloor. I replaced all of the subfloor and the smell was gone.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I don't know if this is your situation but I noticed an absolute sewer smell in our bathroom although it was cleaned. What happened was the garden tub hadn't been used in a couple of years because we always used the shower, or the regular tub in the other bathroom. Somehow it dried out in the pipes and stunk. Now that I run water every once in a while in the garden tub if we haven't been using it, it has quit stinking.
One function of the "trap" on your sink drains is to maintain a water seal against sewer gases rising through the pipe. If the trap dries out, the seal is gone and it's now an open line into the main sewer vent stack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House