Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,219 times

Advertisements

If you look at higher end stuff you'll find that dual fuel units can be had

ie..... gas cook top with an electric oven. I have a DCS SS unit for example.

Gas ovens don't get hot enough to actually self clean (hence the "continuous clean marketing hype). Electric cook tops don't respnd to adjustments instantly like a gas flame does.

If you want high end and/or serious about cooking...such as high ouput BTU burners etc
.dual fuel...or separate units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 PM

635 posts, read 3,092,139 times
Default I personally don't find self cleaning to be that desirable

To be honest, I find that "self cleaning" is a bit of marketing optimism

Oh it "works" but I've often found two issues:

1) Although self cleaning ovens will turn a good bit of the nasty stuff to "ash", one still has to wipe it all out, and it still often leaves the really tough stuff stuck.

2) It's wasteful, from an electricity standpoint. When energy was cheap, and especially the promise of "cheap all electric houses" were the rage, just incinerating everything in the oven made sense .... I guess. I'm not so sure it makes as much sense anymore.

If one really wants to clean out the oven without caustic spray on mess cleaners, or spinning the electric meter doing a debatable good job incinerating the oven goo, try the following:

Put the ammonia in a glass bowl, and place it inside the cold oven and close the door. Lets the bowl stay in the oven over night. The next day, wipe away the stains, perhaps using a green scrub pad for stubborn stains. If one does this somewhat regularly, the number of "tough stains" should be reduced over time and cleanup should be minimal. Plus ammonia can be reused.

No muss, no fuss, and no electricity

Al

Old 07-14-2009, 01:30 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
From what I have heard, most professional chefs like gas better, it does respond more quickly to your control inputs and most people who know what they are doing like that.

I prefer gas, and plan to replace the existing electric range with a gas one when/if it ever gives any trouble, bought it for $75 from the previous owner of the house, since it was already there - why should he move it out and me then have to buy/move in another one, the house is not set up for gas at the stove (although this would not be hard to do, have a propane furnace..)

Something that I think is always a nice touch when building a house is to have both electric and gas set up for the range, this way if your eventual buyer strongly prefers one or the other, either way it's covered. This does not cost much in original construction.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:16 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,031 times
I have duel fuel- gas cook top and electric oven and love it.

Previously always had electric and I always had to move a pot to a different burner if I needed a lower temp.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
If I could design my dream kitchen, I would have a gas cooktop, a gas oven, and an electric oven. These would all be built in. Why?

Gas ovens do a superb job of roasting meat with the moist heat they create.

Electric ovens dry heat is best for pastries.

Now this is what the experts used to say. Frankly I've had both and can't tell a great deal of difference between any function of the two.

But it makes sense to me. And it is nice to use the electric oven in the heat of summer as the moist heat of gas makes humidity in the kitchen and one gets wringing wet even with A/C.

We can always dream, can't we?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatosoup View Post
I do a lot of amateur baking, and am wondering if electric is not as good or is it better since it doesn't blow air around, and hence could be better?

What about range tops? Why is gas considered better, or is it? Are there very high end electrics which can be as good?
We've always loved having a gas stove - so much so that we replaced an almost new electric range in the house we bought, with a gas range.

Honestly, we just like gas better. Heats faster. And while there may be lots of good arguments for electric, our preference is gas.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
The only thing I have against gas stoves is sometimes the orifices get clogged after long term usage, it's an easy fix if you have a needle. Gas I always recommend getting a thermostat just to see what the range in temperature is on either gas or electric. You might be surprised to see 350° can sometimes be between 325°-375°. Not always though of course, as with anything, quality makes a difference.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
I'm choosing appliances for a new home I'm having built and cannot stand electric cooktops, so I'm leaning toward a dual fuel range with a gas cooktop and electric convection oven. This duplicates the function of the separate gas cooktop and electric wall oven in my current house. I prefer the drier heat of the electric oven since I don't roast meats but do more baking.

However, the neck of the woods I'm moving to only has propane, no natural gas. I've noticed in a few homes I've been in there, that there is a slight propane odor in the kitchen, when I find really nauseating, much more so than the mercaptan in natural gas. It bothers me enough that I would almost suffer with an all-electric range if I felt there was a high chance I'd have this problem. Is this normal or are these ranges defective or need some kind of repair?

Also, I've read that propane burns hotter than natural gas, so I'm wondering how difficult it is to gently cook things like rice over a low flame, if the temperature is hotter than a gas range.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:39 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
I've had natural gas, propane gas, and electric in my 50 years of cooking (I started at age 11 being responsible for dinner). I love gas and it doesn't matter whether propane or natural. The home we just bought for our retirement is all electric and I made sure my husband understood that we will be installing propane and a new stove before I move in. I will not cook on electric again. I might consider a built-in electric oven inside since we are also going to be installing an outdoor kitchen on the new deck and it will have a gas grill/oven.

We rented one house many years ago and I used an electric cooktop for about 3 years. I hated every day of it. I'm a good cook and I did get used to turning off the burner before the food finished but I was never truly comfortable with it.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:07 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,031 times
In all my 28 years of being married, this is the first time having gas. I have a dual fuel range-electric oven with a gas cook top. I love it! No more moving a pot off a burner to cool down just turn the dial and automatically down to simmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House