Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM

271 posts, read 840,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatosoup View Post
Why is convection good for baking? Would you do convection when making a souffle? Didn't think so
Yes, I've made souffles, but wouldn't use the convection feature for that, or for delicate things like meringues, pâte à choux, etc. But why would you? As I mentioned, it's an option on a traditional electric oven for some models. It's not on all the time, you press a button to turn on the fan/convection mode (for example, my oven has three buttons if using convection - convection baking with one rack, convection baking with multi-racks, and convection roasting)

I find convection works great for roasting, and baking many types of desserts - shorter cooking times, being able to use multiple racks, quicker rise for flaky items and flakier crusts, and more even baking and browning since it's circulating hot air around the item. I use convection mode mainly for roasting vegetables and meats (perfect Thanksgiving turkey!), and baking tarts, croissants, cakes, pies, cookies, muffins, scones, biscuits, etc, and I bake a lot of bread.

Last edited by Rubee; 07-12-2009 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 AM

635 posts, read 3,095,319 times
I think part of the answer also depends on the engineering of the oven.

It seems that the general consensus(although there are some holdouts) is that gas is the preferred stove-top solution, but as evident in this thread there are split opinions on gas versus electric oven.

Although there are no doubt specific differences in the rate that gas versus electric provides heat, I suspect the largest factor is how the oven is designed to distribute the heat and retain the heat. For example, with old Chambers ovens, there is a huge iron plate in the bottom that evenly distributes the heat from the burner, and a series of dampers and insulation that allows one to heat the oven up, then cook with the heat turned off. I suspect that cheaper or more poorly designed ovens, whether gas or electric(and especially generic designs that don't have a specific design meant for one heating source or the other) probably generally do a poorer job.

For example:

Exclusive Features Of A CHAMBERS Range!

Al

Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 AM

41,998 posts, read 75,321,036 times
I prefer gas as well, but I don't think either is necessarily better than the other. I've cooked on both, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Ditto - a gas range heats more evenly, you have more temperture range (instead of electric's low medium & high) and heats up more quickly.
My electric stove burners have a range of about 15 heat levels, from "barely on" (which you cannot do on a gas stove) to "all fired up."

Old 07-13-2009, 11:33 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,069,486 times
I have always had gas - we moved into a fixer last year and replaced all the appliances, countertops, hardware, etc.....no gas line, so we went with the electric. I bake a lot and I have to say that cookies, cakes, breads, etc. cook evenly and within the recipe time. Roasts, whole chickens, roasted vegetables, etc. also brown and cook beautifully.

The glass electric stove top has been difficult to get used to although I'm getting the hang of it - the clean up is amazingly easy - love that part. A red light stays on for each of the burners when they are hot - there is a warming area and also a bridge that connects two cooking areas for use with large roasting pans. The top is black and the stove is stainless and it certainly looks streamlined and modern.

I think the newer electric stoves are still be judged by the past poor performance of much older appliances - I'm surprised at how much I like my electric stove.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatosoup View Post
I do a lot of amateur baking, and am wondering if electric is not as good or is it better since it doesn't blow air around, and hence could be better?

What about range tops? Why is gas considered better, or is it? Are there very high end electrics which can be as good?
Gas over electric any day - I HATE cooking on electric

Old 07-13-2009, 01:18 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,209,055 times
I've cooked with both - raised on gas and used it till I was 29. Been using electric for one year. I cook every night, and not just simple dishes, either.

While I prefer gas, I won't be a snob about it and say electric is horrible, because it isn't. There is certainly more than the three settings of Low-Med-High - and when I cooked on my mother-in-law's electric, I believe she had 15 settings, as will the one I am purchasing. Really, it's just getting used to something different. Also, coming from someone who cooks A LOT, I like the ease of cleaning a glass electric cooktop compared to a nice set of gas burners. I like not having to worry about pilot lights blowing out either (happened to us several times), but maybe they have a way around that in newer gas stoves.

Electric burner doesn't cool quickly enough for you? Move it to a different burner while it cools. I don't even have a problem cooking stir fry on an electric cooktop - you really just need a different approach.

And I definitely prefer an electric convection oven over gas - I bake hundreds of cookies for Christmas gifts, and the amount of time saved, plus the lack of accidental burning, is a godsend.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM

263 posts, read 746,003 times
almost everything i have is gas. i like gas burners because you can see the flames and how high they are turned up. all my ovens are gas, i have 3 regular stoves/ovens and 2 big gas convection ovens. i also have a 40-loaf, wood fired beehive oven, but that's another thread.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
That depends on what your cooking. Some of the new electrics with the right pots will give as much heat as the real commercail stoves. To put a real commercal stove in a home requires a extinguishing system. The commercal looka likes are not the same. A electric is certainly cleaner but it depends really on what you are use to or like.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 AM

635 posts, read 3,095,319 times
Default I agree, it just depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I prefer gas as well, but I don't think either is necessarily better than the other. I've cooked on both, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

My electric stove burners have a range of about 15 heat levels, from "barely on" (which you cannot do on a gas stove) to "all fired up."

I'm not sure if/who was being quoted above regarding not being able to have a "barely on" setting with gas burners, but this simply isn't true. Of course, it is true that "barely on" is a purely subjective statement .... so I guess it depends. But there have been, and are, a lot of gas burner designs and some are better than others at pure high BTU output, fine temperature control, or even simmering/warming.

One of the best residential burners, particularly with regard to low heat control, ever invented for the residential market were the Okeefe & Merritt burners of the 1950s. These had very fine heat control, and specifically had a separate "simmer cap" that only fired 4 small little jets that would keep things warm, but not too hot.

Other manufacturers had their pilot lights under the griddle area, where one could sit bowls, plates, and pots for light warming.... or even gradually melt butter. It wasn't hot enough to burn a hand, but the surface was definitely warm.

And I agree with those that have pointed out that not all electrics are bad. I still think gas range tops are better, but I also suspect that given the right manufacturer/model one can find electric units that are better than average. I suspect that electric range top units suffer from the bad reputation of cheap units that had/have very limited flexibility.

In fact, I've heard(although not personally experienced) that some of the early electric units were very adjustable and put out a lot of heat. I suspect that as the industry matured and cheap versions became more prevalent, electric range reputations suffered.

Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 07-14-2009 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 07:43 AM

41,998 posts, read 75,321,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
I like not having to worry about pilot lights blowing out either (happened to us several times), but maybe they have a way around that in newer gas stoves.
Yeah, newer gas stoves (last one I cooked on was purchased in 1987) don't have pilot lights. In my first apartment, the kitchen was between the bedroom and the bathroom, and the pilot lights on the 1940s-era stove made great nightlights!

Quote:
Move it to a different burner while it cools. I don't even have a problem cooking stir fry on an electric cooktop - you really just need a different approach.
Excellent tip -- or pick up the pan for a second or two while the burners cool. My electric stove has coils, and they cool off rather quickly. And for stir-frying, I set the wok right on the burner.

It's just a matter of making little adjustments in how you cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House