Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 PM

172 posts, read 584,629 times

Advertisements

You do not have to go with the company who wired your home. I called a few places (they did give me info over the phone) and ended up going with ADT. We had one false alarm due to faulty wiring by the company who installed the alarm(glad I decided not to use them) . ADT was there the same day to fix the problem. They could not reach me, but called both my daughters and sent the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 12,399 times
Angry CPI Contract, Beware!!!

We had CPI for 7 years (at $30/month.) When we purchased a new house the existing system was an ADT (with several wireless sensors.) We had CPI come out to activate it and was told we needed all new equipment, including expensive wireless sensors, to the tune of $500+. Rather than rip out the perfectly good system, we activated it on ADT.

A few weeks later I got a bill from ADT for nearly $1000 for the remainder of our contract period. Turns out they extended our contract when we moved into an interim, short-term, house.

When I called to complain their response was basically "too bad, we have a signed contract from you." I asked for relief since we were long-time customers and never heard back.

A few days ago a collection agency called demanding the $1000.

CPI is a heartless company that basically operates by coercion, extortion, and collection. I will never recommend them to anyone.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,835 times
Default alarm

We have CPI real resposne time and love it! Very professional and always on top of things! We had to pay a lot of money to get the equipment but worth it IMO!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 AM

24 posts, read 88,879 times
I am shopping around for an alarm system for a newly purchased home, and this thread has been very helpful. It seems after reading everybody's pros and cons that CPI is still the way to go in the area, and the equipment seems reasonably priced. Thanks for the posts!
-SF

Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 AM

54 posts, read 156,743 times
Default Dog Barking Machine

Has anyone ever used that electronic barking dog from Radioshack?

Ruff-Ruff...LOL

Old 11-05-2007, 10:16 AM

76 posts, read 291,489 times
Also check out Home Security Store - Wireless Security Systems - Security Cameras. They sell equipment and have a security forum where you can ask questions and get answers from industry professionals.

Our house was pre-wired by Ranger American, so we installed a hardwire system, the Ademco Vista 20p. It took us a whole day, and it wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but if you can read the user guides and programming manuals, you can figure it out. Just make sure you read the manuals thoroughly.

We're moving to a new house on Thursday and it's not pre-wired, so we're going to install a wireless system as soon as we move in. It is great knowing that we have the capability to install our own system and don't have to depend on any of these big hard-sell companies.

We have used https://nextalarm.com/index.jsp for our monitoring for the last year and they've been great. Extremely quick response. $11.95 per month, no contract. They also monitor over broadband if you don't have a landline. They have a web-based interface where you can log in and check to see if your alarm is armed or if any sensors have been tripped. It's pretty cool.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 AM

8 posts, read 19,077 times
I have Brinks installed last month when I moved into my new house. Great customer service! The manager actually visted my house and gave me a presentation of the company and their services. He then had a walk-thru of the house and made suggestions to what I should install. Installation took place just a couple days later. I highly recommend Brinks.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,154 times
Do any of these alarm companies (CPI or ADT) have the loud alarm sirens mounted on the roof or out of reach of burglers?

I didnt see any alarm sirens as part of the packages and I wonder if this style of home protection is passe? If they dont offer them, couldnt a burgler break in, rip out the wall unit or wall speaker and have free access to your house until the authorities arrive?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,154 times
In response to my own question above - CPI just told me the do offer sirens that are placed inside the house, usually mounted on a wall. I then asked if it was possible for a burgler to break in, rip off the siren, then have access to the house until the authorities arrived. He confirmed this was possible.

I dont know why I am paranoid about this example but it seems crazy to mount a siren in a place that is easy to rip out of the wall!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:48 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
In response to my own question above - CPI just told me the do offer sirens that are placed inside the house, usually mounted on a wall. I then asked if it was possible for a burgler to break in, rip off the siren, then have access to the house until the authorities arrived. He confirmed this was possible.

I dont know why I am paranoid about this example but it seems crazy to mount a siren in a place that is easy to rip out of the wall!
My grandmother has the alarm you described (Jersey) ... scared half the neighborhood to death when it went off. Pretty darned fast police response too since her entire block was alerted that something was amiss. Apparently, the burglar was frightened off too.

You have every right to be paranoid.

Sara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House