Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 62,830 times

Advertisements

I am putting in a new granite or silestone countertop in my bathroom and want find the largest undermount sink that will fit and still leave room for installing a single hole faucet. The front to back interior dimension of the vanity base is 18 1/4". I am trying to determine the largest front to back outer dimension sink I can install and still have room for the faucet between the sink and the wall? The faucets I am looking at have between a 1 1/2" and 2 1/2 " diameter base. Aside from having enough room for the sink and faucet, is there a minimum amount of stone that needs to remain between the sink and faucet cut outs? ...between the faucet cut out and the wall??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I'd go with something like this- it's approx. 13.5" deep and 17.5" wide.
As you can see, the edge is relatively small- won't eat into the faucet space.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
You have an old fashioned bathroom vanity at 19 deep which really dont exist in modern times. Modern replacements are 18 deep which are called reduced depth but today everything is 21" deep.

90% of vanity drop in bowl sinks on the market today are 19" wide and 16" deep which would be a cutout size of 18x15

I am unaware of a drop in bowl for an 18 deep vanity. 18" deep vanities will always be a cultured marble one piece top which will be 19" deep by whatever width you have.

If you have an 18.25 ID vanity then you have a 19" vanity which does not exist today. A standard reduced depth vanity top will be 19" deep which would leave you no overhang. That dont work.

You are doomed unless you do the right thing and buy a new vanity which will be 21 deep. You can also buy an 18' deep if you dont have the room.

Whatever you do....do not buy those cheap formaldehyde and sulfer infested Chinese cabinets. And do not buy from the big box store unless you like to over pay.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:00 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I've had custom cultured tops with integral sinks made and the selection is almost endless...

Long tops with one sink or two sinks... sink to one side... small sink for some counter top space in a small bathroom and very large sink...

Just an idea...

Also the storage under the sink was not dark because the top... especially Corian is somewhat translucent.

Get a good cabinet... I won't install anything with particle board in a bathroom I do...

Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've had custom cultured tops with integral sinks made and the selection is almost endless...

Long tops with one sink or two sinks... sink to one side... small sink for some counter top space in a small bathroom and very large sink...

Just an idea...

Also the storage under the sink was not dark because the top... especially Corian is somewhat translucent.

Get a good cabinet... I won't install anything with particle board in a bathroom I do...
Ultra Corian is not translucent. Corian is just a brand name of Solid Surface countertops. You can not see through them. We have more then 500 Solid Surface Corian and Wilsonart samples and not one is translucent.

And there is nothing wrong with particle board. It is far superior to plywood. I have harped on that numerous times on here proving it.

Cultured marble tops are manufactured in 4 standard sizes in 22" deep and 3 standard sizes in 19" deep. Period. I think you are saying you had them custom made for your home. I never heard of having a custom made cultured marble top made. It is not even necessary because they come in the standard sizes that are standard size vanity cabinets. If some one were just placing a cultured top on a non standard sized vanity then you would just by one size too big and cut it. Cultured tops are soft (they are fake manufactured marble) and you can cut them with any standard circular saw. You would cut them on the wall side and if the cut is lously it is just covered up with the side splash.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ultra Corian is not translucent. Corian is just a brand name of Solid Surface countertops. You can not see through them. We have more then 500 Solid Surface Corian and Wilsonart samples and not one is translucent.
Had Brand Name Corian installed in my Grandmothers home circa 1985... (She wanted exactly what her girlfriend had just put in) The very first thing she commented on was how nice it is to be able to see things stored under her under sink bathroom cabinets... Your right, it's not translucent as in being able to see through the top... but it sure let a lot of light in and illuminated an otherwise dark area.

Quote:
And there is nothing wrong with particle board. It is far superior to plywood. I have harped on that numerous times on here proving it.
I managed a building in the mid 90's... I ended up replacing all the particle board vanity cabinets... some from moisture damage... the particle board swelled from water and turned to mush... and some because the area where the top hinge attached to the door broke out leaving nothing solid to re-attach the hinges.

I replaced with cabinet grade plywood boxes and dovetail drawer boxes and cultured tops... my friend still owns the apartment building and said the bathrooms I had done are still great... also went with tub to ceiling cultured marble in place of the existing tile.. also no more problems with loose tile, grout and worry of water penetration.

The Tub/showers all had problematic windows... casing the window opening with cultured marble and using a butress sill really cleaned up these areas

Quote:
Cultured marble tops are manufactured in 4 standard sizes in 22" deep and 3 standard sizes in 19" deep. Period. I think you are saying you had them custom made for your home. I never heard of having a custom made cultured marble top made. It is not even necessary because they come in the standard sizes that are standard size vanity cabinets. If some one were just placing a cultured top on a non standard sized vanity then you would just by one size too big and cut it. Cultured tops are soft (they are fake manufactured marble) and you can cut them with any standard circular saw. You would cut them on the wall side and if the cut is lously it is just covered up with the side splash.
I use B and P marble exclusively in Oakland CA... Bob and Pete are listed UPC fabricators and make all their marble to order... you want 1970's with Gold Fleck... not a problem... need an odd size shower pan or a 16" by 48" vanity top with offset integral sink... not a problem.

So far, Cultured Marble from B and P Marble has solved all my Tub/Shower surround problems... I started using them in 1982... the local termite guys know they don't have much chance of writing up a tub surround when they see tub to ceiling cultured marble.

Sure, there are plenty of more expensive options... I always go for easy to clean, functional and longevity at a reasonable price.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-17-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Had Brand Name Corian installed in my Grandmothers home circa 1985... (She wanted exactly what her girlfriend had just put in) The very first thing she commented on was how nice it is to be able to see things stored under her under sink bathroom cabinets... Your right, it's not translucent as in being able to see through the top... but it sure let a lot of light in and illuminated an otherwise dark area.

I managed a building in the mid 90's... I ended up replacing all the particle board vanity cabinets... some from moisture damage... the particle board swelled from water and turned to mush... and some because the area where the top hinge attached to the door broke out leaving nothing solid to re-attach the hinges.

I replaced with cabinet grade plywood boxes and dovetail drawer boxes and cultured tops... my friend still owns the apartment building and said the bathrooms I had done are still great... also went with tub to ceiling cultured marble in place of the existing tile.. also no more problems with loose tile, grout and worry of water penetration.

Yes it is true that particle board furniture from Walmart or IKEA will disintegrate almost instantly upon exposure to water. But good quality cabinets do not use that 15 PSI junk. PB used in cabinet construction is 45 PSI industrial grade and can withstand as much water abuse as any plywood.

Remember, it's not an issue between plywood VS particle board. The issue is what grade is the plywood and what grade is the particle board. There are plywoods that disintegrate instantly upon exposure to water too. Such as the Chinese made all plywood cabinets which practiclly disolve when wet. With Chinese cabinets you have the main ingredient......formaldehyde, then they take cheap grade plys and press them. Science 101 teaches that formaldehyde disolves glue. So if the water dont disolve the cabinet then the formaldehyde will. That's if the poor consumer dont get cancer or asthma first from the toxic exposure.

I still wonder though what exactly that product is you mention that shows light through. Does she have maybe a glass vessel sink that shows the light through it? I do not know of any Dupont product that is even semi translucent. Ask what exactly it is cause I am curious.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 PM

It's Corian... circa 1985 and as near a Mat White all the way through... integral bowl and counter... It was quite costly even back then...

She knew what she wanted and still is very pleased with it...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-17-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 62,830 times
Default minimum measurements

I'm wondering if anyone has a direct answer to my question about minimum measurements. If so, please reply. It was kind of others to offer suggestions, but that is not what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:49 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
I don't have an answer to your question either but I will throw out there that there are faucet installations that don't go directly behind the basin, sort of off to the side, maybe 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position. Might buy you some more room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House