Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times

Advertisements

Been going around in circles with HVAC people trying to get a straight answer.
I think it may be my lack of technical knowledge and failure to use the same terminology they use, so if anyone can shed any light on this, I'd apprecaite it (hubby is out of town right now and I have to get this done).

We moved into a 4.5 yr old home last fall, and have a Goodman HVAC unit that is still under warranty (just under 5 years). I'm told the compressor needs to be replaced. The unit is SEER 10 rating. I have two quotes from two reputable companies, and want to compare their two compressors.

Company 1 tells me that they will replace the compressor with a 12 since Goodman doesn't make 10's and 11's any more.

Company 2 tells me that the compressor has to be a 10, as that's the only thing that will fit in there. When I questioned him about using a 12, he told me that's not possible, but referred me to the distributor.

I called the distributor and was told that the same compressor will fit a 10, 11or 12. I asked does that mean it will be more efficient than old one, and he said "absolutely".

I call back Company 2, and I'm told that I don't understand. That it can't be a 12. It has to be a 10 as that that's what the unit calls for.

So, frustrated by now, I'm thinking, OK. We're talking in circles and it's because I'm not understanding the terminology, so the best thing to do is get the specs for the compressors (hubby is an engineer, he likes specs. )
When I ask Co. 2 for specs, there's a silence on the other end of the phone.
He says they're going to put in what Goodman sends them as a replacement. Now he's getting impatient with me. They don't know the specs. If I want specs, he says I should call the manufacturer (good non-service!) -- Besides, he assures me, my husband wouldn't understand them anyway. "he wouldn't understand specs on an air conditioning unit compressor." (Hubby only helped put astronauts into space a number of times, was in charge of quality of life support systems) . Well, by now I'm ticked off. (Thanks for sticking with me through this paragraph.)

Bottom line is, does anyone out there know whether a replacement compressor manufactured today for this 5-yr old unit would be one that fits the SEER 10 as well as a SEER 12, and is newer and more efficient than the old one?

In other words, which company is giving me the straight scoop? Co. 1, or Co. 2? Are they both saying something different? What am I not understanding here??

Even if its under warranty (just barely), it's still going to cost $550-$600 for labor and refrigerant. We've never had this kind of a unit before, so all I wanted to know is what are they going to install. I didn't think the question is unreasonable, nor did I think it would be that hard to get the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 03:27 PM

93 posts, read 698,701 times
The SEER is just an energy efficieny rating.

Quote:
With a SEER of 10, the annual electrical energy usage would be about:

5,000,000 Btu ÷ 10 = 500,000 W·h
Therefore if the same unit had a SEER rating of 12 it would acheive the same level of cooling while only using apx. 417,000 W·h

i.e. 5,000,000 Btu ÷ 12 = 416,666 W·h

Do you have the manual that came with the unit?
If I had a model number for the specific Goodman you own it would be easier to track down if a SEER 12 unit would be compatible.

Wiki on SEER... Seasonal energy efficiency ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-2007, 03:38 PM

93 posts, read 698,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Company 2 tells me that the compressor has to be a 10, as that's the only thing that will fit in there.
If you are replacing the entire unit... then what do they mean by "fit in there".

Isn't your condensing unit outside on a concrete pad?

They could replace it with anything... It could even be replaced with something from another manufacturer. They all do the same thing.

As far as I can tell from Goodmans site they dont make anything with a SEER lower than 13 now.
Air Conditioners, (A/C), Packaged Heat Pumps and Central Air Conditioning (AC) Units for Home Healing and Cooling Systems. Residential and Commercial Heating and Cooling Equipment by Goodman Manufacturing available in 14 SEER and 13 SEER ratings for

Old 06-01-2007, 05:38 PM

[quote=Jethro;812379]If you are replacing the entire unit... then what do they mean by "fit in there".

Just replacing the compressor in the air conditioning. They're saying (I think)
that the compressor has to be one made for a SEER 10 unit, that it's the only kind that will work with it.

The other guys are saying that whatever is made for a SEER 12 will be OK in unit we have, even if it's the old SEER 10.

I sent you a PM.

Thank you!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:45 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Run far & fast from Company #2. They sound like they are not very competent. My husband is EPA certified for HVAC and if you could have seen the face he made when I read your post..........

Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
Evey - a question as I, too, have had this type of run around with my A/C folks. They say if my air handler was desgined for a seer 10 rating then I can not go to a 12 seer air compressor. Can you shed any light on this?

Thank you.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
SEER 10 units are no longer made as federal requirements mandate higher efficiency. The physical size is no different and replacement compressors are made to be compatible with existing systems so should be no trouble installing a higher SEER rated unit.... except they cost more. I had a SEER 10 compressor (locked up) replaced with a 13 just today!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:00 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Bear in mind also that you likely won't gain the benefit of the higher SEER compressor, as the fan, cooling fins, etc., in the condenser unit will still be the older 10 SEER parts. That being said, the 12 SEER compressor should work just fine, provided that it will actually fit within the old unit (it's possible that it won't, but I don't know Goodman equipment well enough to say).

Bob

Old 06-05-2007, 09:11 AM

Thank you all for the responses. Hubby is back and read all the replies. I think we're all set. Replacement of the compressor is scheduled this week.
(Going with co. #1).

Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,905 times
hello guys.I am new in this forum.MY AC compressor problem is not solve .tell me about this replacement.I only know one Company whose replace AC .please me about other I am so worried.

Last edited by Palamedes; 06-08-2010 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: Compressor is not working
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House