Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 08:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I'd say Beaumont is more tied into the Houston metro than Waco is to DFW, so there is a little chance. Plus, Beaumont is closer to the Houston sprawl than Waco is to the DFW sprawl. But you're right in that they mostly do their own thing.

It's stagnant more than anything. Gains some and loses some every year.
Well what I heard is that the pop has been shrinking for the last two or three years.

My Next door neighbor is from Beaumont, but he isn't too bright

Old 11-14-2010, 10:47 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Why isn't the eastern side of the metro growing so fast? Or is it?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:13 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Great info! This settles the disagreement. Houston has more and better luxury/upscale shopping than Dallas and Atlanta.
It's tied with Atlanta. Dallas is just slightly ahead of Houston but it's nothing to brag about. It's not like any city is close to Miami.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:

eastern Cities have poorer air quality, the factories and refineries are on that side, greater incidense of Cancer in the eastern cities, the bad weather more often tends to fall on the eastern side....

Old 11-14-2010, 11:30 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
For every metropolitan area, there is always a side that isn't developing as fast as the others. Aside from the factories/refineries, there is literally nothing on the east side (talking north of I-10 and south of Highway 90). There is more growth just north of Highway 90 and south of I-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would say Houston feels bigger compared to Atlanta or Dallas not because of how wide the freeways are (though the freeway helps). But because the city just swallows you in. Especially the inner loop. It's density IMO is not matched by the two cities in that same exact size of 96 sq. miles. Density goes a long way, and IMO, the best way) to give you a feel that you are in a big city.

When it comes to the freeways, and you see buildings all over the place, you don't see that in Dallas even though it exists (ride down US 75. Very impressive). It's just not to the scale of what you see in Houston because you can get on many other different freeways and you get an unbelievable feel. You don't get it in Atlanta either because of the trees. Atlanta is more spread out than both Dallas and Houston though.
Yeah, I agree completely here. Houston feels a lot bigger than DFW and Atlanta. DFW feels more wide open and "country" than Houston does, which feels like straight up city for miles and miles. Driving the Katy Freeway from Katy to Downtown is something to see. You feel like you're entering one huge city.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
eastern Cities have poorer air quality, the factories and refineries are on that side, greater incidense of Cancer in the eastern cities, the bad weather more often tends to fall on the eastern side....
Will this improve so this part of town can grow or will this part of town continue to not grow fast? Does it have a chance to grow fast?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Will this improve so this part of town can grow or will this part of town continue to not grow fast? Does it have a chance to grow fast?
lol, does it sound appealing to you?

Lol, even before the refineries the area was not prime real estate
I will tell you a little bit more about the history of the are 2morrow, right now I am tired and off to bed

Old 11-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Htownlove, where are you?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Htownlove, where are you?
right here.

sorry, me and the bf spent the day cleaning the house. Didn't get much done.

anyway, I promised you a short history.

Well the eastern portion of the metro has long been undesirable.

It was seen as useless swampland and after emancipation, many former slaves were allowed to settle in the area because no one thought any good use could come from it (the land). Both Beaumont and Port Arthur are almost 50% Black.

Around 1900 however, Oil was discovered in the are, and all of a sudden everone wanted it , well they wanted to exploit it, not necessarily wanting to live there.

the area is heavily industrial, many refineries and petrochemical plants are located in the area

Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Dang! The east metro will never see growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston