Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 97,582 times

Advertisements

We are looking at the possibility of moving to Spring Trails or Discovery at Spring Trails. We have not been very impressed by the Perry or Lennar homes in Spring Trails. We like Discovery at Spring Trails, but I can't find much information on the homebuilders there (Westin, Mercedes, and Castlerock). Castlerock is listed as average on JD Power, but I was hoping maybe someone had some info on any of these three builders. There seem to be some good deals on the inventory homes they are offering and the savings on electricity (assuming the savings from having solar panels is not just hype to sell) seems attractive. I have seen some news coverage about Mercedes going into bankruptcy/reorg, so I would probably lean away from buying from them as I am not sure how/if their warranties would be honored.

Also, any info on how deeply these homebuilder will negotiate is appreciated. It seems like all the builders are willing to discount their inventory homes these days, but some seem to be far more willing to do so than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,396 times
Check out Plantation Homes in Discovery at Springtrails. Done alot of business with them over the years and always liked there customer service and product.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,732,304 times
Castlerock usually builds cheap subdivisions like 80k or 90k base price so I am surprised to hear they are a builder in a neighborhood offering solar power upgrades.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:18 PM

I just checked out Castlerock's website for Discovery and they seem over priced to me. $90 a sq. ft. for the base price and when I look at the floor plan all I see is "Optional" on everything.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 97,582 times
Thanks for your responses.

Plantation seems like a good choice, but the home that I see available in Discovery is priced out of our price range ($303K, but we would like to stay south of $250-$260K).

Chris, we were not impressed by the Castlerock home very much, which is what prompted my original posting. However, I think the price for the Castlerock home is what it is because the lot is gigantic for a master planned community. But the quality just did not jump out at us like it has with other builders.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,755 times
Given all the choices - Westin. Just my opinion.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Given all the choices - Westin. Just my opinion.
Mercedes is also a low end builder so Westin might be your best of a bad choice if your set on that neighborhood.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,396 times
That neighborhood is being developed by Land Tejas Corp. They are the owners and founders of the Canyon Gate and Canyon Lakes series of communities. Those areas tend to have excellent value and excellent resale value. That will definitely not be a low end neighborhood. Especially since about half of it will be gated. Whatever your choice will be I am sure it will be a good one and the right one for you and your family. Check out www.canyongate.com.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:51 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,190 times
There are David Powers homes over there that are really nice..Mercedes is newer down here but did build in Florida, great floor plans.
Negotiation with the builder will be just like any other transaction,usually better deals on inventory homes. Get your own agent, the sales staff works for the best interest for the builder. Buyers agents are already built into the price of the homes and you need an agent that works for you. You will not save money by not having an agent and in fact may spend more by not having the knowledge of what you can negotiate.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:22 AM

43 posts, read 194,432 times
We bought a Westin Homes Valencia plan ... so far so good!
Couple of problems but nothing critical.
Sales managers and construction supervisors are really accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston