Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:50 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
good idea houston_2010! they have feral cat houses that keep the kitties warm in the winter time. I think Friends for Life was doing a drive to help pay and set up these.

I am about to close on a house, but do not have ownership yet. do i assume all this prep for the cold weather has been taken care of?
Nope. I have a closing Monday and called the seller's agent to ask the seller to go by and take precautions. Neither the seller nor the agent had even thought about it. Ask your Realtor to call the other Realtor tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
well if i dont hear back from him maybe ill go out there in a parka and sneak around and do it myself ha

Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 PM

345 posts, read 1,078,317 times
Serious question: Are the pipes and such built different here than they are in Chicago? I ask because it never occurred to me that I needed to be so vigilant when the low temps are in still in the 20s. Back in the Chicago area, we wouldn't be worried until it was much colder.

No sarcasm here; simply a question. Should I be more concerned?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 PM

345 posts, read 1,078,317 times
Answered my own question:
weather.com - Severe Weather Readiness

Seems like you guys are right on track. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an attic door to crack.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLoriginal'71 View Post
Sprinkler Systems and a hard freeze -

Please listen to the person who wrote the above post! Just wrapping that part of your sprinkler system will not keep it from freezing and then blowing the valve. Last year we wrapped it up really good and did not drain it....it froze and blew the valve. Almost everyone in my neighborhood, who have sprinkler systems had this happen to them. Every other house had a geyser of water spraying from the valve once it thawed. If this happens then you have to buy a new valve. Save the money and headache........take 5 minutes and drain your sprinkler system.

Good luck! Hope nobody has any frozen pipes or valves!
I have no clue how to drain a sprinkler system. My mom just bought a house with a sprinkler system and she has no clue how to do that. Is it easy? I know she did not drain it this evening...I hope the valve survies tonight!

Opps! Never mind I just realized the youtube video was a demo on how to drain it.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 PM

222 posts, read 720,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone4 View Post
Serious question: Are the pipes and such built different here than they are in Chicago? I ask because it never occurred to me that I needed to be so vigilant when the low temps are in still in the 20s. Back in the Chicago area, we wouldn't be worried until it was much colder.

My guess would be its because the pipes in Chicago are typically in the basement and therefore in a warmer environment than in an attic. But maybe someone who use to live in the windy city can comment.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone4 View Post

Yes- I grew up in Michigan and we never worried about this stuff. We just dealt with the -10 degrees and 17 inches of snow and went about our lives. No faucets dripping, no attics open, just normal life with a little salt on the sidewalk.

Pipes up north usually have to be INSIDE THE WALLS and on the inner side of insulation. No need to be protected. I dunno what happens with the outside faucets... be we never worried about it and they never blew.

The only time you were in trouble was if the ice shelves took down the power lines... but in new neighborhoods even those are underground.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Crap I am in Europe right now heading to Asia. I hope my wife followed my instructions.
I don't have the pool pipes covered but the pool starts running automatically when freezing temperatures. It pushes water at around 2000 rpm so I guess as long the water is moving it won't be freezing. Ideas? Sugestions?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Yes- I grew up in Michigan and we never worried about this stuff. We just dealt with the -10 degrees and 17 inches of snow and went about our lives. No faucets dripping, no attics open, just normal life with a little salt on the sidewalk.

Pipes up north usually have to be INSIDE THE WALLS and on the inner side of insulation. No need to be protected. I dunno what happens with the outside faucets... be we never worried about it and they never blew.

The only time you were in trouble was if the ice shelves took down the power lines... but in new neighborhoods even those are underground.
Yup, got that right. We never had to worry about anything when it froze other than making sure there was enough oil in the oldstyle heaters and hope there's no power outage.
Not sure why houses down here aren't built like that so the neighborhood doesn't have to go bananas everytime there's a freezing threat. I know we live in a hot an humid climate, but just wondering if there's any downside to doing it the way of the north in our hot climate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Crap I am in Europe right now heading to Asia. I hope my wife followed my instructions.
I don't have the pool pipes covered but the pool starts running automatically when freezing temperatures. It pushes water at around 2000 rpm so I guess as long the water is moving it won't be freezing. Ideas? Sugestions?
We don't really have a hard freeze here like the north, and moving water is much harder to freeze so as long as water is moving through pipes i think you'd be ok. Having said that, I'll knock on wood just incase I'm wrong.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Nope. I have a closing Monday and called the seller's agent to ask the seller to go by and take precautions. Neither the seller nor the agent had even thought about it. Ask your Realtor to call the other Realtor tonight.

Yeah, that would definitely be the seller's responsibility if something happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston