Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

It was almost as if Michael Moore had made the movie.^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
It was almost as if Michael Moore had made the movie.^^

Snort..coke bubbles in the nose kinda burn. Maybe I should create some sort of coke bubble gas credit and make a fortune! oh wait...

Old 02-02-2011, 03:09 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Somebody already tried to explain this. Everyone laughed at him, and wouldn't let him be President.
Agree.

All my conservative friends howl about "global warming" when it's this cold---what they don't understand (because of course they never watched the movie) is that the global warming causes the EXTREMES to be worse. So we have the hottest summer followed by the coldest winter.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
it is climate change as far as global weather patterns working to slowly effect the change of a climate (weather changes day to day climate changes over decades). global warming is just the outdated term and has been changed to global climate change so it makes it easier to understand

i have a friend in Antarctica right now who told me via Facebook his weather is warmer than mine. it is summer there though

global temperature increases cause havoc for weather making patterns. storms get more stormy, water levels rise due to iceberg melt, droughts get more droughty.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Agree.

All my conservative friends howl about "global warming" when it's this cold---what they don't understand (because of course they never watched the movie) is that the global warming causes the EXTREMES to be worse. So we have the hottest summer followed by the coldest winter.
What you should say to them is...I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
regarding outside pipes freezing--
story in todays FTW paper about freezing pipes and one plumber said he got call from guy who was outside and saw a dripping faucet--

now we are into our THIRD DAY of temps 20 and below--terrific ice storm all over the metroplex--

so I don't know how this guy's outside faucet was dripping--except moving water is harder to freeze--
anyway the faucet broke off in his hand--and that is why he was calling for a plumber...

Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Letting a valve drip is typically frowned upon because if everyone on the water system drips a few faucets it'll drop the water pressure and would cause a problem if the Fire Dept. needed water from a hydrant. Also, if you're worried about anything in your attic freezing just turn on your attic lights or put a 100 watt light bulb/lamp up there and nothing will freeze. 1 or 2 100 watt light bulbs put off enough heat under a home or in a water well house to prevent pipes from freezing.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 PM

29 posts, read 78,851 times
Good thread. We have water softener outside of the house. How do we insulate it? We wrap it with the comfortor?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek View Post
Good thread. We have water softener outside of the house. How do we insulate it? We wrap it with the comfortor?
Wrap it with anything, a tarp or a blanket will work. You want to stop wind from hitting it and if you can you'll want to get some small source of heat under the tarp. Even a small light bulb will keep anything like that from freezing.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Letting a valve drip is typically frowned upon because if everyone on the water system drips a few faucets it'll drop the water pressure and would cause a problem if the Fire Dept. needed water from a hydrant. Also, if you're worried about anything in your attic freezing just turn on your attic lights or put a 100 watt light bulb/lamp up there and nothing will freeze. 1 or 2 100 watt light bulbs put off enough heat under a home or in a water well house to prevent pipes from freezing.
Nonsense, dripping faucets from my entire neighborhood don't add up to one or two people taking a long shower. Pipes freezing up and bursting is what leads to low water pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston