Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 42,531 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Houston. We really like the landscape of the Northeast side (specifically around Humble). We love all the trees!!! But we are concerned about which way the Summerwood and Fall Creek developments are going??

I have seen several postings on here where people suggest staying away from Humble and Specifically the Humble independent school district.

On a recent visit we looked at homes in Summerwood and Fall Creek and were suprised to see that many of the outer portions of the development had an element of "Rif Raf", a lot of tattoos, nex tels, and low-riders.

We are okay with a diverse neighborhood, but coming from LA were are always concerned about what kind of neighborhood we buy in and what way it is going. I have seen some things that suggest buying in the Caney Independent school district in Kingwood. What are your opinions of this district and is it possible to commute to Deer Park from Kingwood??

What about Summerwood and Fall Creek?

Which communties are recommended that also include all the immenities of a Summerwood (I.E. Fitness Centers, Pools, Parks, Ect.)???

Thanks,
Brad and Christa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM
CNC

3 posts, read 55,067 times
Honestly, we live in the new development across from Fall Creek, and the "rif raff" you refer to is the reason why we intend to move. We are going to the Spring area within the next year or so before we have kids. Our house is lovely, and I feel like we got a killer deal, but I am not comfortable enough to raise our children here. Spring will give you the trees and it is such a cute area. If you do considerr Spring, I would look at the new developments off of Riley Fuzzel and Rayford Sawdust.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:04 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
I was under the impression that Fall Creek and the other neighborhoods were zoned to the new Atascocita high school? There are some nice neighborhoods in that area...does it still have the kind of riff-raff they had at Humble High??? Kingwood HS is in Humble ISD and it is a terrific school.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 42,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
I was under the impression that Fall Creek and the other neighborhoods were zoned to the new Atascocita high school? There are some nice neighborhoods in that area...does it still have the kind of riff-raff they had at Humble High??? Kingwood HS is in Humble ISD and it is a terrific school.
The Atascocita schools dont have all that junk that goes on at Humble high, very clean. i suggest Fall Creek area and summerwood(currently zoned to Atascocita...BEAUTIFUL SCHOOL, FABULOUS teachers) if your ok living in a close proximity to crime. Fall creek and Summerwood are going to have a new High school in 09 Summerwood high... Completion is fall 09... its going to house 3200 kids.

My warning is stay away from the sunset ridge, Canyon lakes, Park lakes, and any other neighborhood being built in Humble... The area is just an extension of Aldine ISD.. Gangs, Crime, and constant mishaps at the school... Send your kids to any other great school in Hum ISD. Kingwood Park, Atascocita, Kingwood, and Future Summerwood high.

But Humble is doomed

Old 03-24-2007, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 47,149 times
Default Humble Area is What you make of it.

I have lived in the Kingwood/Humble area for almost 20 years. I have children from ages 3-19. They have attend/attended the St Martha's Catholic School, Kingwood High School, the New Caney High School, and the Humble High School. I'll start with New Caney since it is a different school district. New Caney is nice if you like that small time feel and MENTALITY. The teachers and administrators are nice, but sometimes I do not think they know what they are doing. The High School goes through Principals like show girls go through panty hose, it is a small school, so the comes from an even smaller school and leaves for one a little bit bigger for the better pay. It is growing fast and they can not adjust to the change, so if you are a parent that does not get involved much, your child will fall thru the cracks..(I met all the teachers and emailed the teachers at LEAST WEEKLY.) They are a 4A school, Humble schools are all 5A except for Kingwood Park which will open as a 9-12 High School next year. The Atascocita High School is beautiful, the Kingwood High School is well established and have a great academic record, but drugs are a major problem that is swept under the rug (a military recruiter I know says that only ONE of TEN at KHS pass their drug screening) Humble High School has GREAT teachers, administrators, consulars and coaching staff. Humble High School offers true opportunity for kids, with a mix of what the real world is. They make all the kids feel as if they can accomplish something. Yes, there are fights and vandalism, but no more than at the Kingwood High School. The diversity at Humble is what makes it a great school. I have 2 girls currently attending HHS. They love it, they do not feel threated in any way. The teachers take a real interest in the students, my sons said their teachers were great, as seniors they were given information and guidance to help them finish the year and make difficult choices about their future, that they say without it they probably would have quit their 1st year of college. The athletic department is a wonderful place for kids to develop discipline and respect. The football program is excellent. The coaches make the kids feel thay are ALL important to the team, they give them the sense of what is is to be a TEAM. They also have an excellent co-ed cheerleading program, they have gone to Nationals I dont know how many years in a row, placing in the top ten every year since dirt.
Bottom line, every area has its pros and cons, it is what you yourself make of it. You need to know what is going on in your community, school, neighborhood. If you get to know your neighbors, they will watch out for you, as you would for them. It's all about caring. If you dont care, why should they. I think Humble is GREAT!

Old 03-24-2007, 03:57 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
We live in Fall Creek and we love it here. There are very active parent groups, playgroups, etc. The community is very active. There are plans to build a new elementary school in Fall Creek, but I'm not sure when they will start it.

Click me if you want more info. Good luck. ~K~

Old 03-24-2007, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 38,756 times
Default Northeast Corner of Beltway 8?

I am also interested in the Northeast area of Beltway 8. We have been looking at Sunset Ridge, Park Lakes and also into the new subdivisions Spring Trace and Eagle Creek. I am new to Houston, and having driven through the area a couple of time in the day and night, I am surprised to hear about "rif-raff". The ares seems to be up and coming, is there something I should know about the areas history or its surrounding area?

Old 05-28-2007, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 77,950 times
New Caney schools and their graduates are not known for their high intellectual levels.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:17 PM

832 posts, read 3,852,602 times
No problems with Fall Creek and Summerwood. Both are zoned for the new Atascocita High School.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:48 PM

19 posts, read 90,412 times
New Caney has good schools , just check the TEA rating of the district! If you are a snob, please follow kl's directions! What a neighbor ,she would make!!??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston