Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewp View Post
UCLA is a world-renowned research university and one of the top public schools in the nation...UH is where people study how to operate off-site Airport Hiltons.
Trollin', trollin', trollin'.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,942,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
BTW UH is very comparable to UCLA in both size & diversity.
Only UT Austin comes even close to UCLA in the TX college system. An ex of mine went to UC Irvine and even that is better than any college in Houston save Rice.

Houston doesn't stress education, it's more an after thought. LA is far nicer in the summer (low humidity, cool nights) than Houston and the winter (warmer day and nighttime temps and less temp swings than Houston).

Houston is not anything like New Orleans so don't include that as a comparison. Having Brennan's restaurant doesn't count as being like New Orleans.

Houston is like Dallas if you really get down to it, Dallas with a touch of Beaumont thrown in.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,055,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Only UT Austin comes even close to UCLA in the TX college system. An ex of mine went to UC Irvine and even that is better than any college in Houston save Rice.

Houston doesn't stress education, it's more an after thought. LA is far nicer in the summer (low humidity, cool nights) than Houston and the winter (warmer day and nighttime temps and less temp swings than Houston).

Houston is not anything like New Orleans so don't include that as a comparison. Having Brennan's restaurant doesn't count as being like New Orleans.

Houston is like Dallas if you really get down to it, Dallas with a touch of Beaumont thrown in.
UH is the most diverse college in the State of Texas. UT has damn good programs & it gets all of the recognition from its sports.

You should check into your facts first or ask someone who knows a little more than you.

Really, Galveston is like a Mini New Orleans, but the Cajun/Creole influence is evident all over Southeast Texas from Houston on east towards Beaumont/Port Aurthur where its really noticeable there.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 AM

145 posts, read 383,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
UH is the most diverse college in the State of Texas. UT has damn good programs & it gets all of the recognition from its sports.
I hate to feed the trolls, Matt, but despite the growing momentum it has built up over the past decade, UH is not viewed as an elite school. Not even close. UCLA is one of the premier public universities in the USA, while UH isn't even among the top three in the state. California has invested a lot in its university system through the years and the result is a system of universities that blow most other states away. The size and diversity of an institution is not what employers and grad schools are looking at when evaluating graduates.

That said, UH does have some excellent programs in place and is positioned well to expand its profile if the idiot legislature ever decides to properly fund Texas' universities to keep up with its growing population. UT-Austin, A&M, and UT-Dallas (plus private Rice University and Baylor College of Medicine) all hold their own vs. the UC schools, but a state this large really ought to have several more in that category. UH is never going to be UCLA (or UT or Michigan or UNC) but, if it is able to continue on its current course, it stands a very good chance of closing that gap significantly.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,866,675 times
Is blewp really trolling, or is he just saying what no one else wants to hear? Comparing UH to UCLA is very far-fetched.

I've read through this entire thread, and 90% of what I saw was just people grasping at straws with the LA-Houston comparisons. There is undoubtedly the sprawl and car culture, but the real parallels stop there. The geography, climate, economy, culture, infrastructure, architecture, neighborhoods, etc. are far too different to even throw the word "similar" in there.

Los Angeles is basically the grandfather of the Sunbelt cities, which all of the smaller metros take after. But Houston's true partners in crime are Dallas and Atlanta.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

I agree with every single letter of this post, but a lot of people aren't going to like what you're saying.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,716,354 times
Guys who gripe & moan about Houston are showing their own rear ends.

You can smell sour grapes all over the turkeys in this thread - apparently they couldn't find success here.

Houston is a world class Metro & it's certainly on par with the other top 5 cities.

I've spent enough time in each of the top 5 to know that Houston is doing just fine in comparison. Houston isn't better than LA, but it's not any worse......it's a different city.

To the Houston moaners: it just makes YOU look bad.

When I was little, the one boy who always lost at tag would run off mad, then he'd come back over to our group & bad mouth us. Kyle, is it you?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Are you reading the same thread as everyone else? Because I don't see anyone saying anything negative about Houston.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,687,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Is blewp really trolling, or is he just saying what no one else wants to hear? Comparing UH to UCLA is very far-fetched.

I've read through this entire thread, and 90% of what I saw was just people grasping at straws with the LA-Houston comparisons. There is undoubtedly the sprawl and car culture, but the real parallels stop there. The geography, climate, economy, culture, infrastructure, architecture, neighborhoods, etc. are far too different to even throw the word "similar" in there.

Los Angeles is basically the grandfather of the Sunbelt cities, which all of the smaller metros take after. But Houston's true partners in crime are Dallas and Atlanta.
Very few of us actually live(d) and both cities and are qualified to make any kind of comment, but the OP was talking about the vibe and energy of the cities. They are similar.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Very few of us actually live(d) and both cities and are qualified to make any kind of comment, but the OP was talking about the vibe and energy of the cities. They are similar.
Well for every person who has lived in both and says they are similar, I'm sure there are just as many who have lived in both and say they're nothing alike. I guess it depends on what you're comparing.

I don't agree with everything blewp has to say, but so many people are quick to brand someone a troll for saying what they don't want to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston