Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,917,625 times

Advertisements

Last week a family's car stalled in the 290 HOV lane. They pulled over to the edge then... got out and started walking! With a toddler! I witnessed the kid break from mom & dad and start running down the middle of the lane, mom & dad chasing behind, with cars coming down the chute up ahead. Crazy stuff, I called 311 who transferred me to the police non-emergency hot line where I got a phone menu and hold until I hung up. Fortunately I didn't hear anything about it later. What is the number to call and report anyway?

I think the Safe Clear program is a terrific idea - for both the unfortunate car owners and for the rest of the commuters. Besides the headache and economic cost of backups it's dangerous to be stalled on the freeway. Fifty bucks is a bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,242,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I did, DID YOU? What if I want to use my own insurance to tow my own car and they're not there in 6 minutes. Crap I drive a pretty expensive car and I won't let anyone touch it.....that's for sure.....
So while you're sitting there in your fancy car, the freeway backs up for miles. Inconveniencing thousands of us. Or it could be towed quickly, reducing the traffic jam.

Actually, you can say "I won't let anyone touch it", but if you try to prevent the SafeClear driver from towing, they will call the police, who will ticket you. Fact.

Quote:
As for my fancy car, yeap it is mine and you try to tow that away from me....Is my PROPERTY..... And who said the laws and rules are right? I've seen a lot of nonsense and this is just one of them.. Is all about money and finding more ways to take money away from us.... If I am in the emergency line waiting for my tow that is paid and covered by my own insurance, why would I let those vultures touch my car?
Do you even listen to yourself? It's your PROPERTY? Yeah, but you're driving on public streets, so you have to be licensed and your car has to be inspected. Even though it's your PROPERTY. And if your PROPERTY stalls on a freeway in Houston, your PROPERTY will be towed, so I can drive my PROPERTY without sitting in traffic all day. Caused by your PROPERTY breaking down.

And why are the same people who rant about PROPERTY usually the same ones who rant "it's all about money". Geez, it's a $50 tow, waaay below market rates. It keeps our freeways moving, and up till now, has been FREE. Well, not really free, we've been susidizing it. So now the user pays. The way it should have been originally.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,547,431 times
I have a related question on this subject - if you get AAA coverage, does AAA pay the Safeclear fee?

Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,797,235 times
You don't get it mate. If I am in the emergency line which sole purpose is to allow cars be pulled over safely and don't interfere with traffic, I then expect to take care of my own towing. That's why I have the tow options with my insurance and I won't let any of them towing vultures touch my car, PERIOD.
My car once got towed illegally from downtown even the meter was paid, and guess what, I had $3000 worth of damage to the front. I won't let that happen again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
So while you're sitting there in your fancy car, the freeway backs up for miles. Inconveniencing thousands of us. Or it could be towed quickly, reducing the traffic jam.

Actually, you can say "I won't let anyone touch it", but if you try to prevent the SafeClear driver from towing, they will call the police, who will ticket you. Fact.

Do you even listen to yourself? It's your PROPERTY? Yeah, but you're driving on public streets, so you have to be licensed and your car has to be inspected. Even though it's your PROPERTY. And if your PROPERTY stalls on a freeway in Houston, your PROPERTY will be towed, so I can drive my PROPERTY without sitting in traffic all day. Caused by your PROPERTY breaking down.

And why are the same people who rant about PROPERTY usually the same ones who rant "it's all about money". Geez, it's a $50 tow, waaay below market rates. It keeps our freeways moving, and up till now, has been FREE. Well, not really free, we've been susidizing it. So now the user pays. The way it should have been originally.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:04 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,918,416 times
Quote:
You don't get it mate. If I am in the emergency line which sole purpose is to allow cars be pulled over safely and don't interfere with traffic, I then expect to take care of my own towing. That's why I have the tow options with my insurance and I won't let any of them towing vultures touch my car, PERIOD.
My car once got towed illegally from downtown even the meter was paid, and guess what, I had $3000 worth of damage to the front. I won't let that happen again.....
What are you going to do, ethan, stand there with a gun when the SafeClear Tow truck comes?

You're driving on our freeways. They're our laws. If your car breaks down ANYWHERE on the freeway, you're getting towed. Now it's going to cost you $50 to get your car back. This law/program has saved countless hours for countless people, and probably quite a few lives.

Last edited by Malvie; 03-25-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 12:47 PM

594 posts, read 1,250,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Why was I paying for someone to get their car towed to begin with? Keep in mind, $50 is still a HEAVILY discounted rate -- try calling a tow truck next time you break down somewhere and get a quote.
No kidding. It's usually 75$ and upwards. I once had to tow 2 miles and it was $75. Ouch but hey, it was MY vehicle.

With vehicle ownership comes responsibilities. Yes, it does suck for low income individuals. I used to be one of those individuals with an old car and I still don't see an issue with this. The state or city should not be footing the bill for this and if it helps save time/traffic backups/additional accidents from occurring, I'm all for it.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM

912 posts, read 2,558,562 times
They might want to start by reviewing the licences of the muppets who drive these tow trucks and removing some of them.

I see examples of wreckless driving from the morons every day.

That said they are better than the red light running, agressive Metro bus drivers I also see trying to kill people on a daily basis.

I'd bolt gun the lot of them.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times
I got towed 2 blocks after a 'police incident', and it cost me $140. $50 is a steal.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,329,986 times
Quote:
Sorry bro, but it sounds like you get too much of your self value from your car. May I suggest re-aligning your priorities?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,582,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
What are you going to do, ethan, stand there with a gun when the SafeClear Tow truck comes?

You're driving on our freeways. They're our laws. If your car breaks down ANYWHERE on the freeway, you're getting towed. Now it's going to cost you $50 to get your car back. This law/program has saved countless hours for countless people, and probably quite a few lives.
WoW! I have been reading all these post on what is right or wrong and I'am glad so many people think every one should follow the law! Well ! the law ( Constitutional law states that no one can demand payment for services that were not contracted for ). SOOO I would suggest in this case you just let the Tow company tow your car off the road , then demand in writing the release the vehicle ( because they don't have a contract with you )Don't sign for anything ! > And when they do not release the car , you take them to small claims court for the value of the vehicle + the cost of the court action . And before you'all start laughing I have done this as have many others and it works . In one case a Judge told the Tow company if they didn't release the car the owner could and most likely would file in his court a claim for Grand Thief Auto against him. Got to love all them LAWS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston