Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times

Advertisements

Here's some good reads on Houston area schools
Big spending may not spell school success in Houston | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Progressive experiment brings prestige to Kerr High | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Despite the odds, Pilgrim Academy hits the mark | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Small schools making big effort see gains this year | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
That's funny. My first reaction was, "What does the Chronicle know about school ratings?!?" Then I noticed that CCISD (Clear Lake ISD) schools are not even included in the list. Many have the state's Exemplary rating. Oh well, thanks Chronicle for limiting the data and skewing the overall results...

Old 04-20-2011, 03:04 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
That's funny. My first reaction was, "What does the Chronicle know about school ratings?!?" Then I noticed that CCISD (Clear Lake ISD) schools are not even included in the list. Many have the state's Exemplary rating. Oh well, thanks Chronicle for limiting the data and skewing the overall results...
The Chronicle printed the results of a study done by a group who studies education, Children at Risk. There was an explanation in the story regarding the methods used and why some schools were not included. The Chronicle nor Children at Risk skewed any result. Read it, if you are able.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The Chronicle printed the results of a study done by a group who studies education, Children at Risk. There was an explanation in the story regarding the methods used and why some schools were not included. The Chronicle nor Children at Risk skewed any result. Read it, if you are able.
Okay, thanks. I admit to not seeing the article in full, and am not sure that was clear in the OP

Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 PM

According to the SBOE member who represents the area I live in, people only need answer about 1/2 the TAKS questions to pass. The also project the scores of some kids. Kinda like, well if she took the test next year she would score_. What you see is not necessarily what you get with TAKS. You can look at SAT's and ACT's, but in some schools, many kids who are not college bound take the tests. That would drop the overall school scores. In some states many kids take those tests. In some states, not so much. If you just looked at SAT's Iowa looks way better than Texas. Who is taking the tests?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:54 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I admit to not seeing the article in full, and am not sure that was clear in the OP
WTH Clear Creek was included in the rankings. Next time try more reading and less posting.

http://www.chron.com/databases/School-rankings.html?appSession=543212826338643&RecordID= &PageID=2&PrevPageID=&cpipage=1&CPISortType=&CPIor derBy= (broken link)

Reading Comprehension is a lost art

Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,685 times
Are no Cy-Fair schools or Katy or Sugarland schools included in the rankings?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 PM

Just go to the Chron.com site, type in your district, select grade level, submit and wait. It just showed me most of CyFair high schools. If the school is anything other than 9-12 it may not have been included. The article tells reasons for omissions, like all 9th grade campus. Newish school hence not enough data.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Are no Cy-Fair schools or Katy or Sugarland schools included in the rankings?
You must have missed the multiple Fort Bend ISD schools on the list... they're all Sugar Land.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:01 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
I thought Alief is so called 'ghetto' areas, how come academically they are doing so well? I guess 'ghetto' does not equate bad after all.
Maybe the highest level they teach there are Algebra?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston