Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 PM

148 posts, read 403,217 times

Advertisements

I am buying my first house in Westbury. I've been leasing a house in Westridge (77025) for the past 5 years and LOVE that area. The area is safe, I can walk at night without my dogs, the neighborhood is booming right now. They are tearing down the old houses and buliding the HUGE three story million dollar homes everywhere just like they did in Bellaire but sadly there is no way I could ever afford this neighborhood. Westbury looks exactly like my neighborhood I am in now. That's why I am attracted to it. I could not afford houses north of Brays Bayou so I found one just two streets over on Duxbury. I've read through the forums and seen alot that North of Brays is where you want to be? Is South of Brays really that bad? The neighborhood is a little more mixed than what I'm use to. My house is close to Hager Park too. I've driven by alot and noticed that Wednesdays seems to be the day everyone is at the park. I am somewhat close to the apartments on Chimney Rock. I know there was a shooting less than two weeks ago in those apartments that was on the news. I don't officially close on my house until next week so I wanted to get honest information about this area. I chose where I am because I can afford it but also I was looking at it as an investment since Westbury seems to be the next Meyerland or Bellaire. Any and all information and advice would be appreciated about this neighborhood two streets south of Brays Bayou in between Hillcroft and Chimney Rock but North of Airport. My concern is about how safe this area is. Two streets over from me the houses jump up $50-80K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Westbury is a great neighborhood Westbury south is a little ghetto & homes are junky I would say this is one of the top 4 neighborhoods in town good choice

Old 06-16-2011, 02:11 PM

I'm trying to figure out if I'm in the junkier area. I am north of airport but I'm south of Brays Bayou. Alot of the houses around here are done up well, manicured lawns, and then there are some ghetto houses mixed in. It just blows my mind that my house was $125K but literally 2 blocks over, like seriously, two blocks over the houses jump up in price from $150-200K.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Sounds like a good price. You are right that it's not the BEST part of Westbury, hence the good price, but if your block looks well maintained that's a good sign. It's never going to be Bellaire, since it's not zoned to good schools, but it seems likely to me that your section of Westbury will be the next one to go the way of Parkwest and other sections of Westbury--that is, houses in the 200's instead of the 100's.

Understand that your value is "capped" to some extent by the schools and the proximity of the apartments. But I still think Westbury is a solid choice, and your price sounds good.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
i am between hillcroft and chimney rock but north of brays

westbury imo is a better choice than parkwest to me. feels more like a solid area here. i do believe westbury is definitely the next meyerland if not already (area is completely blurred together short of the extreme north of meyerland right next to bellaire) and eventually the "next" bellaire (im not such a fan of bellaire). the people here dont seem to care too much about the schools as most who can afford it are in private. i see the schools around here changing in the future if not total rezoning/merging of ISDs.

the jump across the bayou there is a pretty big difference. you can see it driving down the streets. but when i bought here i was told by a lot of people that was starting to change. the houses on that side tend to be smaller on smaller lots hence price difference as well. whole area seems to be improving. if you got a good deal on the home and are happy with the price i think you made a good choice as well

welcome to westbury neighbor!

oh yeah there are some tear downs and re-builds here. several in my immediate section. fortunately no generic spanish villas but very large homes for the area of attractive 1960 bungalows. i am sure there will be more of that. i have heard the civic association is going to try to do something to keep it from becoming the heights.

have you heard of possible plans for the metro rail going down Airport? It'd be awesome for the area but i dont know how close you'd be. youll be able to hear the train where you are at if you were not aware of the trains down 90

Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 PM

Thank you. I jumped on it when it was first listed. It's a 3/2/2 with almost 2000 sq ft. It's an estate and I had three different inspectors out to check it out between termites, foundation, and just the overall inspection. Every inspector said they were surprised at how good the condition of the house was. I just hope I can feel safe around this area and be able to walk my dogs and ride my bike. I noticed that even South Post Oak area is picking up a little bit, improving like Main St did by my rental by redoing all the shopping centers. I've seen the change over the past 5 years around Main and now the area by the Walmart. I just hope it keeps coming my way.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:26 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
it definitely will. it is a safe area to ride bikes and walk dogs at night. when i go out at night i see lots of others doing this or out running. i ride my bike to your side to go over to the Willow Water Hole park and never felt unsafe. it is a really quiet area. i feel the apartment crime sticks to the apartments. you get some petty car stuff and there were some break-ins in the area (in the summer those are everywhere in houston). they were hitting vacant/for sale homes. you may want to make your presence well known once you are moved in

for homes with attached garages they were getting into the garage and into the house from there as it is usually easy access compared to an exterior door. no i havent been doing any breakins but that is what the police blotter has been saying. youll receive the Westbury Crier newspaper and can see the crime statistics for the area

Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
The small part south of W Airport Between Chimeny Rock & Hillcroft is the ghetto part

Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Prices dip in Westbury South and Westbury section 4, which is basically south of Cartegena. The parts of Westbury and Parkwest that are zoned to either Kolter or Parker elementary get a premimum for the good elementary school.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM

South of Cartagena is where I am, I think three streets over. I looked at a house on Cartagena that was the same size of mine but $40K more. It's just crazy to me that a few streets away the prices are so much different. I get a little freaked out looking at the crime maps but when I looked at my current rental neighborhood it's just as bad and I feel completly safe here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston