Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM

32 posts, read 77,606 times

Advertisements

So this post came as a question my boyfriend and I asked ourselves because we're planning on buying a house in Houston some years from now. It's safe to say that about 15 years ago, no one would imagine how much Midtown would have changed, the same goes to the Washington Corridor (Rice Military, Sawyer Heights) about 7 or so years ago. Right now, It seems like the hot revitalized neighborhood is EaDo. In about 5-10 years from now, I'm sure it'll look completely different than it does now. This is all strictly opinion-based from your own observations and predictions.

The neighborhoods I would say, with a small reason why:
Inner Loop:
Third Ward-This area is already seeing some new townhomes being built on its edges. It's destined for a makeover with it's close proximity to downtown, TMC, UH, Midtown, and museums.
Northside Village-This one's very iffy for me. It's hard for me to see this one redeveloped, but there's the breweries, the new light rail and the need for close downtown living that makes me think this area might see a change for the better.

Outside the Loop:
Woodlake/Briar Meadow- This is wishful thinking for me (I grew up around this area), but it's just too close to everything great in Houston to be looking as rough as it does.
Spring Branch: This has potential to gentrify the way Washington did. (I haven't been over in this area in YEARS so it could be a possibility that it already has gentrified.)

Feel free to include some suburbs you think might stand out within the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
Parts of Spring Branch are already well under way. It has some really nice spots mixed in there. What I like about it is that it won't be peppered with three story townhomes. Although there are some townhome developments in the area and more on the way, I doubt it will be rampant like other areas.

Spring Branch: This has potential to gentrify the way Washington did. (I haven't been over in this area in YEARS so it could be a possibility that it already has gentrified.)

Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 AM

65 posts, read 113,200 times
I believe you'll see a lot of value appreication from Westbury within the next 3-5 years.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
They're trying to kick all the black folks out of 3rd ward. It's going to become another area saturated with white people, bland townhouses and no history. Mexicans already taking over TSU.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
I think the 77045 & 77085 in few yrs contractors will be buying homes and flipping them. This area is close to Med Center and Down Town. Here are the areas that are going to get flipped

Brentwood Park
Cambridge Village
Dumbarton Oaks
Windsor Village

You can get a 1600 to 2200 sqft home with good bone that needs remodeling for $70k to $100k

Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
They're trying to kick all the black folks out of 3rd ward. It's going to become another area saturated with white people, bland townhouses and no history. Mexicans already taking over TSU.
Half of them are already gone. There's some great bones there, think they're gonna tear down all the older homes? What was The Washington Ave area like before the townhouses and mid-rises?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Spring Branch, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, Parts of the Heights, Timbergrove, and East Downtown. I think 3rd Ward will take a very long time to turn around. Maybe 20-30 years. I think 5th Ward could turn into something west of I59. It takes a very long time to gentrify an area. Heights started when I was a child and I am almost 40. Washington is unique because it was never a really bad area and it is relatively small.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
It was mostly frame bungalows. Easy to tear down and not really worth remodeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Half of them are already gone. There's some great bones there, think they're gonna tear down all the older homes? What was The Washington Ave area like before the townhouses and mid-rises?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM

872 posts, read 828,115 times
There are still huge parts of Spring branch that are trashed. It is really sad as the area used to be very nice.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
They're already tearing down homes and replacing them with houses similar to the ones in the suburbs. 3rd Ward is still a good 75 to 80 percent black though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston