Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,733 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating from CA to Houston. I will be working downtown. We like some of the areas in Katy near the Westpark tollway.

Can any of you Katy people out there give me an idea of the commute time from the Cinco Ranch (and other communities out there in that general location) area to downtown? Is the Westpark tollway any good?

I heard the city is doing a major widening of I-10--has this helped (or will it help when completed)?

If this would be a miserable commute, what are some other safe areas with good schools and hopefully a 40 minute or less commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 AM

212 posts, read 1,273,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM1998 View Post
My family and I are relocating from CA to Houston. I will be working downtown. We like some of the areas in Katy near the Westpark tollway.

Can any of you Katy people out there give me an idea of the commute time from the Cinco Ranch (and other communities out there in that general location) area to downtown? Is the Westpark tollway any good?

I heard the city is doing a major widening of I-10--has this helped (or will it help when completed)?

If this would be a miserable commute, what are some other safe areas with good schools and hopefully a 40 minute or less commute?
I do not know about Westpark from Cinco to downtown...but on IH10, depending on where you are in Cinco Ranch, you are looking at an hour. IH10 expansion will help...but right now with construction some days are worse than others. When the expansion is done, I do not know how traffic will be...the demand continues to increase quickly. Another forgotten area with good schools, closer in is areas south of IH10 in Spring Branch ISD. Older homes, with large lots and trees!!! Some spots are more expensive than others, but you can get good homes in great areas. Its all in what you are looking for. Cinco Ranch is a cookie cutter subdivision (its nice, and you cant go wrong), but it is what it is. Have fun.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
Cinco Ranch is a VERY nice master-planned community. There are sections of it that are more "cookie cutter" than others, but overall it is the best in the far West as far as establishment, resale, layout, amenities, and schools (almost all Cinco Ranch schools have been TEA rated "exemplary").

You are coming at a very good time. Construction on I-10 is in its final phases with completion of the sections between Eldridge and Voss by 2008. The entire project will be done by 2009, and it is estimated that a rush-hour trip from SH 99 (Grand Parkway) to downtown will be no longer than 30 minutes. You can see more on the new I-10 and progress by going to KatyFreeway.org. It is expected that I-10 will also relieve the Westpark Tollway (currently a nightmare at rush hour) when it is completed.

Williams Brothers is the contractor for the I-10 project; they have beaten almost every single one of their construction deadlines so far. They have several million dollars as incentive to complete early.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Cinco Ranch is a VERY nice master-planned community. There are sections of it that are more "cookie cutter" than others, but overall it is the best in the far West as far as establishment, resale, layout, amenities, and schools (almost all Cinco Ranch schools have been TEA rated "exemplary").

You are coming at a very good time. Construction on I-10 is in its final phases with completion of the sections between Eldridge and Voss by 2008. The entire project will be done by 2009, and it is estimated that a rush-hour trip from SH 99 (Grand Parkway) to downtown will be no longer than 30 minutes. You can see more on the new I-10 and progress by going to KatyFreeway.org. It is expected that I-10 will also relieve the Westpark Tollway (currently a nightmare at rush hour) when it is completed.

Williams Brothers is the contractor for the I-10 project; they have beaten almost every single one of their construction deadlines so far. They have several million dollars as incentive to complete early.

Good luck with your move!
Good luck on those rush hour times...

Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
I apologize, that's how many miles it is, approximately, from Cinco Ranch to Downtown. The estimated time is 40 minutes.

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 08-10-2007 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM

48 posts, read 267,613 times
.....Still not buying it-----it takes about 40 minutes travelling the posted speed limit. Traffic will never move at 65 during rush hour. Ever. (ok, when I get my flying car it will)

How many more thousands of people will be on the freeway by 2009? Houston is at end-game with regard to transit. I understand why people make their choices, but IMO no amount of 'community amenities' and exemplary schools can give me back the days and weeks of my life spent in traffic. People get all hung up on schools and think their kids have it better off, but when dad or mom, or both, don't get home until 7 or later every night, do they really? Is that fancy new high school taking up that slack?

Of the 3,500 fabulous Cinco Ranch square feet that a person might choose to call home, how many could they actually enjoy, before collapsing into bed each night after an hour plus in traffic, 9 hours at the office, another hour-plus coming home, if lucky a couple of hours of family and chores, before getting up at 5:00 to do it all over? I understand, rationally, why people do it, but I just can't get my head around it.

Just a little philosophical ranting, it's hot and I hate sitting in the car, surrounded by the uninsured masses who can't drive......

Old 08-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifsmom View Post
.....Still not buying it-----it takes about 40 minutes travelling the posted speed limit. Traffic will never move at 65 during rush hour. Ever. (ok, when I get my flying car it will)

How many more thousands of people will be on the freeway by 2009? Houston is at end-game with regard to transit. I understand why people make their choices, but IMO no amount of 'community amenities' and exemplary schools can give me back the days and weeks of my life spent in traffic. People get all hung up on schools and think their kids have it better off, but when dad or mom, or both, don't get home until 7 or later every night, do they really? Is that fancy new high school taking up that slack?

Of the 3,500 fabulous Cinco Ranch square feet that a person might choose to call home, how many could they actually enjoy, before collapsing into bed each night after an hour plus in traffic, 9 hours at the office, another hour-plus coming home, if lucky a couple of hours of family and chores, before getting up at 5:00 to do it all over? I understand, rationally, why people do it, but I just can't get my head around it.

Just a little philosophical ranting, it's hot and I hate sitting in the car, surrounded by the uninsured masses who can't drive......
LOL thanks for sharing, I feel better knowing i'm not the only one 'not understanding' the whole exodus.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 PM

FYI, I left from Post Oak and Loop 610 the clock on my car said 5:05pm...took IH10 and I just stopped north of IH10 on Fry Road at Franz and the clock said 6:09pm. Its also the return trip to figure in. Now if I was going to Cinco add another 30 minutes...

Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,383 times
They have areas in Katy that are older communities with plenty of "mature" trees and landscaping. Don't think Cinco has that. I agree with the commute however, they do have the park and ride which I think rides the HOV lane which would probably cut down on their commute time. I "fortunately" do not work downtown but I do have to commute to I-10 & 610 to take my daughter to and from school everyday. We do the HOV and on a bad day (where there is an accident) it takes about 20-25 min.

I suggest that you visit and do the drive for yourself, make a decision then based on where you feel more comfortable.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:35 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
c:/>run mondaymorningqb.exe

They might've tried converting the railroad line that is now under more concrete with the expansion into a commuter train. They could have just used what was already there for something new and different.

The Westparkinglot was a better idea, apparently. And the Katy Freeway will always be slow. Even if it's 34 lanes two decades from now.

The only way they could have screwed up worse is if they didn't make the Westparkinglot EZ Tag-only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston