Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:22 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times

Advertisements

Well, as this story and the story about the nightclub proves, no matter how many degrees you obtain, how well you dress, or how much money you have, we as black people have to accept the fact that we'll never be seen as equals or 'acceptable'. It was a hard pill to swallow when I came to this realization years ago (and people get angry when I point this out), but that's the way it is. Too many in the black community are still trying to seek love, validation, acceptance, and crumbs, but that type of slave mentality and Stockholm Syndrome has got us nowhere.

Even though I'm a misanthrope, I do have friends of different races and backgrounds, but I am realistic enough to know that most people will automatically assume I'm a loud, neck-rolling harpy with a bad attitude with a litter of bastards from multiple men who relies on government assistance just because of my skin color. It sucks, but I deal with it.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Well, as this story and the story about the nightclub proves, no matter how many degrees you obtain, how well you dress, or how much money you have, we as black people have to accept the fact that we'll never be seen as equals or 'acceptable'. It was a hard pill to swallow when I came to this realization years ago (and people get angry when I point this out), but that's the way it is. Too many in the black community are still trying to seek love, validation, acceptance, and crumbs, but that type of slave mentality and Stockholm Syndrome has got us nowhere.

Even though I'm a misanthrope, I do have friends of different races and backgrounds, but I am realistic enough to know that most people will automatically assume I'm a loud, neck-rolling harpy with a bad attitude with a litter of bastards from multiple men who relies on government assistance just because of my skin color. It sucks, but I deal with it.
There is a reason for them getting angry. They thought you were full of it, but you kept talking to them. And for someone who is misanthropic, how do you have friends? Do you guys seat around talking about how much you hate everyone, and each other? Maybe you were just being a troll, or joking around.

Also, who cares what people think. If you go through your daily routine thinking the way you do (in bold), then you are projecting upon everyone else. Think about it.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with anything you just said. In my opinion, everything you just said is about as old as it gets. It's not a new way of thinking for "black" people at all. It's been said many times over, in as many ways as you can think. For anyone that is trying to prove themselves to anyone, well that is their problem. Everyone (and I will just use black/African American people, since that seems to be who you are focusing on), that is is black that you see, that may be different, aren't trying to get "crumbs" as you say. They are just that, different. There are people of every race that are different. I don't know if you are familiar with "my race doesn't make me", but it's true. The nightclub stories don't prove anything. They are individual situations that happened between maybe dozens of people out 300 million.

And please don't start talking about you friends of other races. Everyone does this. Are they work friends, that you hang out with them at the local pub after work? Or are they the people that come over to your house for a BBQ, or just show up so you both can be bored together? That's a real friend. Do you talk your friends about this? Do you let them know that you think they are better than you, because of the color of your skin? Your paragraph says so much about your mentality. Don't bring up your degrees, if you have them. It says nothing of you personality. I may have gotten to personal there, but I really didn't mean any offense. There are more people out there like this than just yourself, and they aren't misanthropic .

P.S. Stop talking for a whole Race and Culture. That goes for everyone.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:54 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:

Here's some advice, get out of America! (or at least leave "the DMV"). You'd be amazed at how many countrie considers blacks as the "model minority."

Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
There is a reason for them getting angry. They thought you were full of it, but you kept talking to them. And for someone who is misanthropic, how do you have friends? Do you guys seat around talking about how much you hate everyone, and each other? Maybe you were just being a troll, or joking around.

Also, who cares what people think. If you go through your daily routine thinking the way you do (in bold), then you are projecting upon everyone else. Think about it.
Talk about missing the point. I'm talking about the assumptions that people associate with most black women in America. I don't carry myself that way, but it's not as if I haven't heard all of this before.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with anything you just said. In my opinion, everything you just said is about as old as it gets. It's not a new way of thinking for "black" people at all. It's been said many times over, in as many ways as you can think. For anyone that is trying to prove themselves to anyone, well that is their problem. Everyone (and I will just use black/African American people, since that seems to be who you are focusing on), that is is black that you see, that may be different, aren't trying to get "crumbs" as you say. They are just that, different. There are people of every race that are different. I don't know if you are familiar with "my race doesn't make me", but it's true. The nightclub stories don't prove anything. They are individual situations that happened between maybe dozens of people out 300 million.
I couldn't care less whether or not you agree with me, because I certainly wasn't looking for your approval (or anyone else's for that matter). While my race doesn't make all of me, but it is a part of me. My point was regarding society in general. I don't think I'm inferior to anyone, but I am aware of how society works. If you don't believe that blacks are seen as being the bottom of the barrel in society, I'd like to live in whatever fantasy land you live in. I'll even pay my own moving expenses

Quote:
And please don't start talking about you friends of other races. Everyone does this. Are they work friends, that you hang out with them at the local pub after work? Or are they the people that come over to your house for a BBQ, or just show up so you both can be bored together? That's a real friend. Do you talk your friends about this? Do you let them know that you think they are better than you, because of the color of your skin?
Let's see, I recently threw a fabulous 4th of July party at my house where my friends of all races came together, bought different dishes, and watched movies...I visited my old roomate from college who happens to be white and took her daughter and son on a roadtrip to Carowinds and I rode roller coasters with them...I'm about to get ready to meet one of my friends to go eat dinner and gossip - she's a Korean woman BTW...and I'm going to brunch in the morning with a group of women I've befriended over the years, black/white/Asian/Hispanic, whatever. Am I candid about issues with them? Sure I am, but they're mature enough to discuss them in a frank manner without getting angry and indignant and on the defensive like so many do, including you. But enough about lil' ol' me, but thanks for your concern.

Quote:
Your paragraph says so much about your mentality. Don't bring up your degrees, if you have them. It says nothing of you personality. I may have gotten to personal there, but I really didn't mean any offense. There are more people out there like this than just yourself, and they aren't misanthropic .
Yes, I do have degrees, but I'm not one of these uppity people who think that makes me better than someone or bringing them up every few minutes to brag. Some of the most savvy people I know don't have degrees and still have managed to be successful in life (by learning trades and skills) and don't have student loans to pay off. Again, you missed the whole point if that was the only thing you got out of what I said. My whole point was that even if a black person is educated, law-abiding, working citizen who contributes to a productive society, there will be those who will still see them/us/me as inferior and at the bottom of the barrel. Thinking that having these attributes will make us be seen as 'different' or 'better' than other black people or make us 'look good' in the eyes of mainstream society is an exercise in futility and frustration. If anything, it's a impetus to improve from within, and doing what I can to help my community, rather than do it to keep up appearances.

I love myself, and know who I am, and do not think I'm inferior or beneath anyone, so I couldn't care less what people think of me. My statement was a statement on society as a whole in general. It's obvious everyone's personal experiences will be different depending on whatever circumstances or hand that was dealt to you. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a cold, hard truth.

Quote:
P.S. Stop talking for a whole Race and Culture. That goes for everyone.
Why? Because you say so? Is it just too real for your little world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Here's some advice, get out of America! (or at least leave "the DMV"). You'd be amazed at how many countrie considers blacks as the "model minority."
I'd love to know where this exists, BTW, im all too familiar with your woe-is-me tales of black self-hatred and how much you hate living in DC. I hope you move soon, because you come off as miserable and emotionally draining on here. Moving won't solve that, but I hope you find your racial utopia fantasyland you're so desperate to find.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 07-30-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Default Here comes another one.

Quote:
Talk about missing the point. I'm talking about the assumptions that people associate with most black women in America. I don't carry myself that way, but it's not as if I haven't heard all of this before.

Once again, who care what people think. Read what I wrote one more time. You may get it.

I couldn't care less whether or not you agree with me, because I certainly wasn't looking for your approval (or anyone else's for that matter). While my race doesn't make all of me, but it is a part of me. My point was regarding society in general. I don't think I'm inferior to anyone, but I am aware of how society works. If you don't believe that blacks are seen as being the bottom of the barrel in society, I'd like to live in whatever fantasy land you live in. I'll even pay my own moving expenses

The whole point of a debate is the fact that I don't agree with you. I think me not agreeing with you, and you not caring, goes without being said. Of course your race is apart of you. Who's race isn't a part of them. Are you really aware how society works, or are you sure how the world as you have experienced it so far works? So far you are speaking in absolutes, with no absolute data. That is never a good thing, for your argument.

Let's see, I recently threw a fabulous 4th of July party at my house where my friends of all races came together, bought different dishes, and watched movies...I visited my old roomate from college who happens to be white and took her daughter and son on a roadtrip to Carowinds and I rode roller coasters with them...I'm about to get ready to meet one of my friends to go eat dinner and gossip - she's a Korean woman BTW...and I'm going to brunch in the morning with a group of women I've befriended over the years, black/white/Asian/Hispanic, whatever. Am I candid about issues with them? Sure I am, but they're mature enough to discuss them in a frank manner without getting angry and indignant and on the defensive like so many do, including you. But enough about lil' ol' me, but thanks for your concern.

Didn't ask you about your party, and you mix of friends. You really should not try to impress me with it. I am not an angry person who went off on rant for what you said (you shouldn't get angry over the internet by the way, its just dumb). I wrote in direct opposition to what you said. Yes, I did get a bit personal, and I apologize. Good to know you have some friends who you can talk to about woes of humanity. But to be frank, just because they agree with you on your points, doesn't make them right. It just means they agree with you.

Yes, I do have degrees, but I'm not one of these uppity people who think that makes me better than someone or bringing them up every few minutes to brag. Some of the most savvy people I know don't have degrees and still have managed to be successful in life (by learning trades and skills) and don't have student loans to pay off. Again, you missed the whole point if that was the only thing you got out of what I said. My whole point was that even if a black person is educated, law-abiding, working citizen who contributes to a productive society, there will be those who will still see them/us/me as inferior and at the bottom of the barrel. Thinking that having these attributes will make us be seen as 'different' or 'better' than other black people or make us 'look good' in the eyes of mainstream society is an exercise in futility and frustration. If anything, it's a impetus to improve from within, and doing what I can to help my community, rather than do it to keep up appearances.

What was this about? As far as I can understand, it is just your opinion. Do you not agree with that? And how is this any different from any other race of people?

I love myself, and know who I am, and do not think I'm inferior or beneath anyone, so I couldn't care less what people think of me. My statement was a statement on society as a whole in general. It's obvious everyone's personal experiences will be different depending on whatever circumstances or hand that was dealt to you. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a cold, hard truth.

I'm glad you love yourself. Why won't you live by the part in bold. You actually wrote it. Again, I don't think you have any idea how complex society is. That why it seems you have made such one sided arguments. The second part in bold is also, something I have said, so why do you disagree with me? What is a cold hard truth? My opinion? Yes it is, but I don't even know if it is absolutely true. That's just me, I don't deal in absolutes. Unlike someone I know.

Why? Because you say so? Is it just too real for your little world?

Who cares what I think. I tell no one to follow me, because I don't know where I'm going. And neither does anyone else. Sorry, I have learned to live in the "real world". It takes much more will and intelligence than to just stick to one side.

I'd love to know where this exists, BTW, im all too familiar with your woe-is-me tales of black self-hatred and how much you hate living in DC. I hope you move soon, because you come off as miserable and emotionally draining on here. Moving won't solve that, but I hope you find your racial utopia fantasyland you're so desperate to find.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but in my humble opinion, everything you said in reply to me meant actually nothing. And I don't mean it meant nothing to me, I just mean it meant nothing. Your lack of reading comprehension is very evident. My whole point was who cares about what people think, including you. Thank you for answering my questions? The way you came off in your second post just makes me more sure that I shouldn't be listening to what you have to say. Along with many other posts you have made on C-D. Yes, you can click on someones name, and see what they have posted before. I have heard many people speak like you as I have grown up, nothing new. So, don't worry about me replying to any of your posts. I have blocked others on here before, because they seemed like trolls (maybe I took the bait). You have a good day.

P.S. If there is anything in your second post you would like me to answer directly, just let me know. I love debates. I just won't be replying to any of you posts as a whole.

Last edited by Kenpar; 07-30-2011 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Lots of red. Editing.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
You try to HARD to be black. Read everything bellow and don't accept what you just said, just put a no in front of it. That is exactly who you should be. Can you? Is called reverse psychology.

No you don't have to worry about being equal or acceptable, is all in your head (brainwashed), no that's not the way it is, and NO you don't have to try at all. And if you truly think you have friends just ask them how realistic you're.

You know I have some level of free license to speak and judge... I wasn't born in this country and I just happen to observe, where some of the things are so easily obvious. And no I am not racist I am married to a girl that is not white... And yes my kids are confused but in a good way..

Quote:

Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:

Well how do you expect us to act when you consistently sit here and say Texans are racist and the blacks here are ghetto, country and ignorant. There is nothing mature or respectable about statements like that. I don't care about your stance on the level of where black Americans are today, but I take issues with how you always drags us black Texans down to low levels. That's what I don't respect. You're egotistical and condescending for no reason whatsoever; what have you done lately or in your life that gives you the right to make such harsh judgments towards us???

Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I'm sorry to tell you this, but in my humble opinion, everything you said in reply to me meant actually nothing. And I don't mean it meant nothing to me, I just mean it meant nothing. Your lack of reading comprehension is very evident. My whole point was who cares about what people think, including you. Thank you for answering my questions? The way you came off in your second post just makes me more sure that I shouldn't be listening to what you have to say. Along with many other posts you have made on C-D. Yes, you can click on someones name, and see what they have posted before. I have heard many people speak like you as I have grown up, nothing new. So, don't worry about me replying to any of your posts. I have blocked others on here before, because they seemed like trolls (maybe I took the bait). You have a good day.

P.S. If there is anything in your second post you would like me to answer directly, just let me know. I love debates. I just won't be replying to any of you posts as a whole.
You live in a fairy tale dude. Wealthy whites do not like blacks unless they make them money.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:43 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,662 times

Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I agree with Royal Oaks on Quanell X. I wouldn't allow him in my house either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston