Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM

13 posts, read 48,197 times

Advertisements

Just like the title says, anyone know how to tell if a neighborhood (or a specific house actually) would get fiber or copper for a u-verse install?

I have not called ATT yet but suspect they would not answer the question directly but instead give a corporate answer about the speed being as advertised etc.

The house in question is in 77057.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 AM

142 posts, read 398,238 times
You can tell by looking at the kind of cable that runs into the wiring box that is attached to the house.

I'm not sure if this is true across the board, but from what I've seen...
The copper twisted pair wire is a flat black cable, and the fiber they use is a round blue cable.

Honestly though, it doesn't really matter what kind of wiring you have running to the house. U-verse offers the same plans to both it's FTTN and FTTP customers.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 AM

Ok thanks David. The main reason I asked is that my *quick* research indicates there are more complaints on line from people who have uverse with copper than with fiber. In fact I think all the complaints I have read are from copper clients (where the delivery type was identified) and none from fiber clients. So just trying to hedge my bets before committing to ATT.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 PM

142 posts, read 398,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klack View Post
Ok thanks David. The main reason I asked is that my *quick* research indicates there are more complaints on line from people who have uverse with copper than with fiber. In fact I think all the complaints I have read are from copper clients (where the delivery type was identified) and none from fiber clients. So just trying to hedge my bets before committing to ATT.
I'm a Uverse customer, and my biggest complaint about their service is the minimal upload speed. I have the 24 down/3 up plan, which is the fastest they offer. I use offsite back for pictures/music/etc. and 3 mbs just crawls. Download speed is fine.

I do get some interference on the line (copper twisted pair) which causes pixelation and dropped TV signals, and that is not supposed to happen with a true fiber connection.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Not all users of uVerse get fiber optical line all the way to the house. All get fiber optic to the nearest switch box, but some get copper from there.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 09-21-2011, 02:15 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klack View Post
Just like the title says, anyone know how to tell if a neighborhood (or a specific house actually) would get fiber or copper for a u-verse install?

I have not called ATT yet but suspect they would not answer the question directly but instead give a corporate answer about the speed being as advertised etc.

The house in question is in 77057.
I think fiber is when you have VDSL2 (I think it's 25Mbit Internet and 20Mbit for cable) available at nearest switch-box. So if they offer 16+Mbit Internet + cable it must be a fiber. You can't really tell unless you ask. You can ask technician when you see their truck around.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:30 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
"String of Striped Homes in 77057"

Alleged copper pirate posted plans on internet

Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM

testmo: I googled that but nothing came up. Is there a missing link?

Old 09-21-2011, 05:59 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
the link is also hidden inside the fuse box

Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
My understanding is that for new installs for new construction U-verse will be Fiber to the Prem. For existing service addresses converting to U-verse, the service is Fiber to the Curb and copper to the Prem. Your experience may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston