Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I've seen these same comment in other city forums, what makes Houstonians any different?

and why stay in a place that you abhor so much?
People hate Houston because of mindless houston(ians) boosters. Is this clear enough for you?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I'm curious What other "negatives" do you and Sunderpig consider to be "hidden"?
What are you asking me, Palm Queen? hidden negatives? like I didnt expect any major US city to be this boring, kinda of hidden negative? boring for all ages i should add

Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 AM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
People hate Houston because of mindless houston(ians) boosters. Is this clear enough for you?
every city has boosters....again what makes Houston(ians) any different?

Old 11-23-2011, 12:17 AM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times
Quote:
What are you asking me, Palm Queen? hidden negatives? like I didnt expect any major US city to be this boring, kinda of hidden negative? boring for all ages i should add
boring is and can be subjective, TimBomb. What's boring to you, wouldn't apply to the next person.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
People hate Houston because Houston is doing alot of great things during a bad economic period.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
The fact is....every city has complainers and whiners.

I was born and raised in NY, and NY has its good share of complainers.

I have lived in LA, Chicago and Miami...all these cities have people who complain, whine and moan about this and that.

Same for Houston.

I don't understand, if you hate this city so much and you are so bored and can't find anything to do in the country's 4th largest city....WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

Call U-Haul, reserve a truck, pack your crap and MOVE.

This is a VAST country, you have plenty of options to relocate to.

Why subject yourself to the torture of having to live in a city you do not like, appreciate or care for? Life is too short to live a miserable life!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
boring is and can be subjective, TimBomb. What's boring to you, wouldn't apply to the next person.
exactly. we're not all overweight, divorced, lonely dog owners who think getting tipsy on red wine is living the dream

Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
The fact is....every city has complainers and whiners.

I was born and raised in NY, and NY has its good share of complainers.

I have lived in LA, Chicago and Miami...all these cities have people who complain, whine and moan about this and that.

Same for Houston.

I don't understand, if you hate this city so much and you are so bored and can't find anything to do in the country's 4th largest city....WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

Call U-Haul, reserve a truck, pack your crap and MOVE.

This is a VAST country, you have plenty of options to relocate to.

Why subject yourself to the torture of having to live in a city you do not like, appreciate or care for? Life is too short to live a miserable life!
as I already pointed out, mindless cheerleading right here. (i consider 'dont like it, then leave' as houstons battle cry)
what you described (and are attacking) is totally different from me. There are people who cant wait to leave this city, mostly younger people, and they will do it with a vengeance.
There are other cases where the comments/critism are from people who live here and just need to point out how over the top 'optimistic' some here people are. Some are too 'optimistic' and just needed to be brought down to earth.
Then there are cases where you have people who searched and tried everything and you know it dries up pretty quickly, especially if youre not into harleys, alligator, catfish, deer hunting. Then there are cases where people got burned many times by places like the spacecenter and BS fairs here.

youre from new york you know that the city and the important people over there make that city and the region great. whats so difficult about setting up a street fair of some sort with no fencing, gates and a cover charge(even for kids). how about make it more fun and use real cash instead of lining up for 'tickets'. There are also the small town events in the NE that are packed and you dont see them here. A lot of these 'issues' are basically coming from a houstonian's character, it's all about making huge money from bored and clueless people. think about this, if you really LIVED in the NY region then it would be very obvious what is wrong (or missing) here. character, professionalism and authenticity are a few. mexicanized japanese garden - yay!
right about now (and any day) there will be semi surprise concerts in rockefeller plaza. for free and theres really nothing specific to promote, just want to shoo away the gloom. you know its like goodwill

I'm not miserable. I've already mentioned how much money I make here. my wife was miserable in the begininng but she's ok now. We get by recycling the regular things-to-do. We got our hands full with a kid and other things. I'm a DIY/handyman, I make our furnitures, tend the yards, do electrical and plumbing. I maintain, modify, tune and race cars. We meetup with friends and family. We help people out, cleaned the beach 2x. go to the richmond strip with the guys ... we're all over the area.

my personal opinion is this city is very boring. the people are very boring. thats just from the husband/father in me talking.

what is your story and did you need any medication to feel this good about spending your life here in houston?

Last edited by TimBomb; 11-23-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM

563 posts, read 910,480 times
Quote:
as I already pointed out, mindless cheerleading right here. (i consider 'dont like it, then leave' as houstons battle cry)
what you described (and are attacking) is totally different from me. There are people who cant wait to leave this city, mostly younger people, and they will do it with a vengeance.
There are other cases where the comments/critism are from people who live here and just need to point out how over the top 'optimistic' some here people are. Some are too 'optimistic' and just needed to be brought down to earth.
Then there are cases where you have people who searched and tried everything and you know it dries up pretty quickly, especially if youre not into harleys, alligator, catfish, deer hunting. Then there are cases where people got burned many times by places like the spacecenter and BS fairs here.

youre from new york you know that the city and the important people over there make that city and the region great. whats so difficult about setting up a street fair of some sort with no fencing, gates and a cover charge(even for kids). how about make it more fun and use real cash instead of lining up for 'tickets'. There are also the small town events in the NE that are packed and you dont see them here. A lot of these 'issues' are basically coming from a houstonian's character, it's all about making huge money from bored and clueless people. think about this, if you really LIVED in the NY region then it would be very obvious what is wrong (or missing) here. character, professionalism and authenticity are a few. mexicanized japanese garden - yay!
right about now (and any day) there will be semi surprise concerts in rockefeller plaza. for free and theres really nothing specific to promote, just want to shoo away the gloom. you know its like goodwill

I'm not miserable. I've already mentioned how much money I make here. my wife was miserable in the begininng but she's ok now. We get by recycling the regular things-to-do. We got our hands full with a kid and other things. I'm a DIY/handyman, I make our furnitures, tend the yards, do electrical and plumbing. I maintain, modify, tune and race cars. We meetup with friends and family. We help people out, cleaned the beach 2x. go to the richmond strip with the guys ... we're all over the area.

my personal opinion is this city is very boring. the people are very boring. thats just from the husband/father in me talking.

what is your story and did you need any medication to feel this good about spending your life here in houston?
It's to keep people from leaving in DROVES (which they are doing, by the way)!!! People are realizing that the astronomical rent, disgusting density, EXTREMELY high taxes, rats, bed bugs, sewer smells are not worth sticking around for. Do you know how much Houston's population has grown from East Coasters alone??? Maybe it's SED or the fact that 90% of NY state is economically depressed. The only SED I get down here is when December roles around I know it will be a couple of months before I can cruise the beach to pickup chicks in bikinis again.

You and your wife most be the most somber and incredibly boring people to be around. No wonder you have nothing to do... NOBODY wants to invite Debbie Downer over to their house or to any gathering whatsoever. I'm incredibly sorry your life sucks. I would hate to be in your shoes staying inside constantly bashing Houston on a computer with this disgusted look on my face instead of enjoying the wonders God has given you in the form of a wife and child. Have you thought about joining a sports league or some kind of athletic club? Probably not. I'm sure you're as mundane as your posts and it's hard for you to type because your belly is constantly hitting random keys.

Houston is not the perfect city by any means; but then again, NO city is. You're not going to convince any true Houstonian that somewhere on the east coast is better than what we have here. Houston has her faults but we take it in stride and lover her for who she is and not what other people try to make her out to be.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 AM

I'm thinking of the word OBTUSE right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston