Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:12 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounewhome1 View Post
Can I use the recording to complain in TREC?
Since you haven't closed yet, simply ask him to prepare a written agreement delineating the terms of the 2% commission rebate, and make it a part of the contract. If he ever indeed intended to make this agreement with you, he should certainly agree to this. The TREC and the code of ethics () that Realtors are to follow, don't endorse half ass verbal agreements for anything. If he refuses, or claims it's not necessary (..we're friends, right (wink wink)), I would recommend doing whatever is necessary to cut him out of the deal, period. Inform the builder that you are filing an ethics complaint with the TREC, have them terminate your current contract, and promptly re-write without the broker, realtor, or whatever he is.

Last edited by RCH99; 03-19-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
sorry but the standard realtor fee is 3% and if that whats on the contract thats what he is paid. Its not your money anyway it comes from the seller. You dont pay him a fee the seller pays. So it is not your money and it never was. If you terminate the contract you will lose your earnest money and that is your money. So just take it has a learning experience. I would be more concerned about having a good representative backing you up along the way as your home is built.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:32 PM

702 posts, read 1,237,010 times
From what I know of, the realtor can only contribute 2% towards closing costs. Need to have it in writing before signing the contract to get the home built. If it's by word of mouth, he isn't legally binded to hold up his end of the bargain.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hounewhome1 View Post
Is recorded evidence accepted in court. I can call him up and record the conversation which will imply the verbal agreement.
As long as one party is aware of the recording (IOW, you), you can record it. And it is absolutely legal, and can be used in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Recording is legal IF you tell the person you are having a conversation with that they are being recorded if you plan to use it in court as evidence.
Not true. You do NOT have to tell them.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
As long as one party is aware of the recording (IOW, you), you can record it. And it is absolutely legal, and can be used in court.

Not true. You do NOT have to tell them.
That's the way I have always understood it, too.

To the OP - I would demand something in writing NOW. If he avoids you, you have your answer to how he intends to handle it.

Then come back here, and we will jump in with our collective brains.

As to the code of ethics - yeah, they only work if the person was ethical in the first place.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 03-19-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 04:53 PM

22 posts, read 64,852 times
Is he a broker or agent? Go to TREC - Home Page and look for "Licensee Info Search". You can find out which he is. If he's not a broker, call the broker and insist he reels this guy in. On the same website there's a tab for filing a complaint. I would do that along with your friend. Your biggest problem is you don't have anything in writing (as others have stated). The complaint HAS to be in writing. The two of you complaining together may have some credence with TREC. TREC has no problem disciplining realtors so don't worry about that. I assume you're buying a new home; if so you can talk to the sales agent for the builder about this and ask how they might help. This broker/agent has to submit a form (CDA) to the closing title company detailing how his commission checks are going to be written by the title company.I don't know if the title company will show you that CDA but they might show it to the builder.
Most realtors are honest and hard working so we won't miss this guy if you can get his license suspended!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:53 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
As to the code of ethics - yeah, they only work if the person was ethical in the first place.
right. high standard.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
When you do business with a crook you get screwed. We see this on occasion, you should have taken care of business better.

My neighbor dropped me to use someone who promised cash back. He didn't get it and since they had nothing in writing the court said tough. Love these stories. You might go ahead and contact an attorney. If you want your money you'll need one.

Wonder how much this will cost you in fees & court costs ?

Did you ever see the movie.. The Flim Flam Man ? The moral of the story is you can only scam a greedy person.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
right. high standard.
That was my point.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM

36 posts, read 64,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
When you do business with a crook you get screwed. We see this on occasion, you should have taken care of business better.

My neighbor dropped me to use someone who promised cash back. He didn't get it and since they had nothing in writing the court said tough. Love these stories. You might go ahead and contact an attorney. If you want your money you'll need one.

Wonder how much this will cost you in fees & court costs ?

Did you ever see the movie.. The Flim Flam Man ? The moral of the story is you can only scam a greedy person.
I haven't seen the movie but I kinda agree. 2% is a common practice and many of my friends have done it. I just got "recommended" that crook and it's unfortunate that my friend trusted someone at work. It's more of a trust issue than greed. I'm not going to the court with a sob story until I have some kinda evidence. I watch Judge Judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: