Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Note that the woman did NOT talk about her side of this until the suit was filed against her by the mother of the boys. That seems a bit off to me.
She did tell her version of the story to the police at the time of the accident. The police let her go because her story was credible. The boys tell a story that may have happened, but is pretty hard to believe.

And yes, as a Mother, I do find it hard to believe that another Mom would run over children with her car on purpose.

Why would an innocent woman (she claims to be) go public when websites are instantly created to paint her as monster who gets a thrill out of running over black children? After reading some of the sick comments on those sites, it's probably safe to assume she's scared to death of going public.

Quote:
If there are witnesses to what really happened other than the boys and this woman, I hope they come forward.
My guess is that there weren't witnesses. It's hard to believe people could see a crime so violent on children and not share it with police at the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
pretty believable to also think she pulled up short in front of them - perhaps to get them to stop or in a huff - but totally being ignorant to the fact that objects in motion continue to stay in motion (unless a little kid can handle slamming whatever brakes a go kart has or swerve in time to miss an SUV)
It's possible, but what makes more sense? A Mom trying to help kids in a dangerous situation or 13 year olds (who know they're going to be in trouble with police for illegally riding go carts in the streets) fabricating a story to take the heat of their wrong doings.

Maybe I just can't wrap my head around this Silverlake Mother plotting to potentially kill neighborhood kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i've seen plenty of irresponsible women behind vehicles with children around to not always believe the kids are at fault
What do you see more often:
1) kids lying to avoid trouble
2) irresponsible female drivers about hurt kids with their vehicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 AM

30 posts, read 71,064 times
I remember the days when neighborhood parents all shared responsibility in kickin the asses of the out of control kids. Things were so much nicer back then!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:40 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
Interesting how the culture has changed over the last 50 years. Everyone wants to defer to some authority figure these days - for a variety of reasons. Most of them bad in my opinion. Having functioned as an "authority figure" in a past life I would suggest most authority figures not particularly competent, and worse, that level of acquiescence goes to their heads.

50 years ago the woman would have grabbed the kids by their ears and marched them home, where a parent would have thanked her right before beating the kid's butts.

Now we have we have people with no self discipline who medicate themselves and their kids to compensate. 50 years ago was not perfect but what we have now is not an improvement. We have become a nation of children.

The government is you. The police work for you. Do not give up your rights. They are hard to win and easy to lose.
Too many so-called adults these days can't handle being viewed as an authority figure.

They prefer to be a pal or worse, their child's advocate when their snowflake royally screws up.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 AM

90 posts, read 182,626 times
And thank tha lord above! The mom was able to much later, call ambulance, snap pictures of child in neck brace and talk about post traumatic stress syndrome! Cozy! It's a insurance stunt and money grab, the mom is exploiting those children and should be ashamed.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
I find it amusing when people claim parents were so much better 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Those would be the people who raised the kids who are now the parents that you guys claim do such a horrible job with their kids.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM

150 posts, read 306,027 times
First of all David Dollar, I wasn't there and neither were you. I am basing my comments on what the lady told a reporter from The Home Journal in Pearland. Did you read the article? It is interesting how you are quick to rush to a judgment without knowing all the facts based on what the lady said happened. I am not taking any sides unlike you. If these were children and this happened to them, I am sure your opinion would be different.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
If I witnessed kids driving crazy in their karts, I would have contacted the area patrol unit. Nowadays, you can't approach kids because their parents don't like that. Yeah, I know the parents should have been watching them but most think their kids are angels. So your best bet is to either complain to the parents or call the police and/or HOA.
I agree.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I'm a Mom and can't imagine any Mother thinking, "I see children riding go karts, what a lovely opportunity to run over their unprotected little bodies with my vehicle."

The woman said she pulled her Jeep over to talk to the boys because she was concerned about their safety. She said they were driving their go karts erratically at high speeds in the street with cars. When she stopped her Jeep to talk to the boys, they ran into her.

The boys version is that the woman hit them with her car because she didn't think they belonged in the neighborhood.

Two completely different stories, someone is lying.

I guess the police thought the woman's story was credible enough to let her go without making an arrest.
Wow, it is incredible that people are fixated on who is telling the truth and who is lying then rushing to take a side. So there is a belief here that what she did was normal instead of calling the police if she was concerned about safety. So if a house is on fire, you would try to put it out yourself to save the people inside instead of calling the fire department? I hope you guys never are picked to be on a grand jury when someone is fighting for their life. Now, I know why we have the people that we have in office running the state of Texas. People base their opinions and votes on emotions instead of carefully analyzing what is being said and using critical thinking skills. None here.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I believe the woman's version.
Texas7 you would.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
It is true that the incident was in Brazoria County outside the Pearland City Limits, but that is because not all the Silverlake and Southwyck subdivisions have been annexed yet.

It is also true that the Brazoria County Sheriff's department is doing the investigating. The incident *is* being pursued and the grand jury will determine if charges will be filed against her.

It is also true that the woman's story conflicts with the boy's story.

Pearland In Color – Grand jury considers conflicting stories in SUV wreck with go-cart

Note that the woman did NOT talk about her side of this until the suit was filed against her by the mother of the boys. That seems a bit off to me.

Grand jury considers conflicting stories in SUV wreck with go-cart - Your Houston News: News

The woman's statement:

If there are witnesses to what really happened other than the boys and this woman, I hope they come forward.
I agree. Nana it is hard to have an intelligent discussion on this board sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston