Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM

150 posts, read 306,149 times

Advertisements

I usually avoid reading newspapers that lean more toward the thoughts of one political party. It is difficult to find media that maintains neutrality these days. I usually receive free (I didn't request it.) the Pearland Home Journal which presents as a conservative (very republican) paper. Pearland including most of Brazoria county is 60% republican, so it doesn't surprise. Anyway, I felt compelled to read the story of the two young boys driving a go cart, injured by a woman driving an SUV. Based on her own words in the journal, she had been watching these boys driving erractically down the street and felt the need to get involved that resulted in their injury. She was concerned for their safety, but for her actions it resulted in sending them to the hospital. I see go-carts most of the time in my neighborhood. Do I feel it is my job to approach children if I don't like the way they are driving? NO! So basically she implied that these two boys were responsible for their own injuries because they ran into her car. Why is she stalking by following and watching these children? First of all, if you have a problem in the community, you need to contact your HOA or the police department. I don't feel adults should be approaching children. This woman sounds unstable and I question the competency of the Brazoria County Sheriff's Department in how they handled this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne7 View Post
I usually avoid reading newspapers that lean more toward the thoughts of one political party. It is difficult to find media that maintains neutrality these days. I usually receive free (I didn't request it.) the Pearland Home Journal which presents as a conservative (very republican) paper. Pearland including most of Brazoria county is 60% republican, so it doesn't surprise. Anyway, I felt compelled to read the story of the two young boys driving a go cart, injured by a woman driving an SUV. Based on her own words in the journal, she had been watching these boys driving erractically down the street and felt the need to get involved that resulted in their injury. She was concerned for their safety, but for her actions it resulted in sending them to the hospital. I see go-carts most of the time in my neighborhood. Do I feel it is my job to approach children if I don't like the way they are driving? NO! So basically she implied that these two boys were responsible for their own injuries because they ran into her car. Why is she stalking by following and watching these children? First of all, if you have a problem in the community, you need to contact your HOA or the police department. I don't feel adults should be approaching children. This woman sounds unstable and I question the competency of the Brazoria County Sheriff's Department in how they handled this case.
Any more unstable than the mom who says that the woman swerved over to run the kids down? You don't think these kids were driving out of control if they ran into a PARKED car?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,984 times
Interesting how the culture has changed over the last 50 years. Everyone wants to defer to some authority figure these days - for a variety of reasons. Most of them bad in my opinion. Having functioned as an "authority figure" in a past life I would suggest most authority figures not particularly competent, and worse, that level of acquiescence goes to their heads.

50 years ago the woman would have grabbed the kids by their ears and marched them home, where a parent would have thanked her right before beating the kid's butts.

Now we have we have people with no self discipline who medicate themselves and their kids to compensate. 50 years ago was not perfect but what we have now is not an improvement. We have become a nation of children.

The government is you. The police work for you. Do not give up your rights. They are hard to win and easy to lose.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,603,034 times
If I witnessed kids driving crazy in their karts, I would have contacted the area patrol unit. Nowadays, you can't approach kids because their parents don't like that. Yeah, I know the parents should have been watching them but most think their kids are angels. So your best bet is to either complain to the parents or call the police and/or HOA.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:02 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,708,359 times
I'm a Mom and can't imagine any Mother thinking, "I see children riding go karts, what a lovely opportunity to run over their unprotected little bodies with my vehicle."

The woman said she pulled her Jeep over to talk to the boys because she was concerned about their safety. She said they were driving their go karts erratically at high speeds in the street with cars. When she stopped her Jeep to talk to the boys, they ran into her.

The boys version is that the woman hit them with her car because she didn't think they belonged in the neighborhood.

Two completely different stories, someone is lying.

I guess the police thought the woman's story was credible enough to let her go without making an arrest.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
I believe the woman's version.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,053,807 times
pretty believable to also think she pulled up short in front of them - perhaps to get them to stop or in a huff - but totally being ignorant to the fact that objects in motion continue to stay in motion (unless a little kid can handle slamming whatever brakes a go kart has or swerve in time to miss an SUV)

i've seen plenty of irresponsible women behind vehicles with children around to not always believe the kids are at fault

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
I think it's funny that the Pearland Journal is considered a right-leaning publication.

"National Review", "The Weekly Standard" and who can forget the "Pearland Journal".

Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,603,034 times
Anonymous said:

Quote:
but these kids were go carting around moving cars, they could have been killed so the woman did a good thing by talking directly to the boys & possibly saved their lives.
Possibly. I'm just saying that I wouldn't have responded the way she did.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
It is true that the incident was in Brazoria County outside the Pearland City Limits, but that is because not all the Silverlake and Southwyck subdivisions have been annexed yet.

It is also true that the Brazoria County Sheriff's department is doing the investigating. The incident *is* being pursued and the grand jury will determine if charges will be filed against her.

It is also true that the woman's story conflicts with the boy's story.

Pearland In Color – Grand jury considers conflicting stories in SUV wreck with go-cart

Quote:
The boys say they went onto the grass to avoid a woman driving an SUV down the street when things turned ugly. The boys say it was then a neighbor identified in civil court documents allegedly drove cross a lane of traffic, jumped the curb and ran head-on into the go-cart. The Journal will identify the woman if the grand jury decides to indict.
Note that the woman did NOT talk about her side of this until the suit was filed against her by the mother of the boys. That seems a bit off to me.

Grand jury considers conflicting stories in SUV wreck with go-cart - Your Houston News: News

The woman's statement:

Quote:
The driver has issued a written statement that disputes the Moors’ version of what happened:
"As a mother of two children, I was concerned for the safety of these kids because they were driving their vehicle erratically and at high speeds through the neighborhood and also came dangerously close to a lake. When I saw them driving erratically for the second or third time that evening, I pulled my vehicle over and stopped," she wrote.
"They were still driving fast and because they had driven onto a grassy area, when they hit the brakes to stop, they skidded and ran into my vehicle after I had stopped. This is about the safety of children and nothing more."
If there are witnesses to what really happened other than the boys and this woman, I hope they come forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston