Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM

30 posts, read 44,028 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Houston for work from NYC. I've been a few times, and I'm flying down tomorrow to look at apartments all weekend and also start the process of buying a car (hopefully.)

I'm going to be working in Greenway Plaza. I've been looking at apartments in the area, and while they are very nice, they are quite expensive. (Yes, I know rents in NYC are astronomical but I now need to deal with car and insurance payments). I've been advised to live inside the 610 loop, but I'm seeing a lot of very nice communities in the Galleria area, which appears to be just outside of the loop. Is this area still safe? (I have plenty of common sense, I just need to not feel scared walking from my car to my apartment.) I am a single female (23 years old). I was also advised to check out Montrose, River Oaks and Upper Kirby.

My budget is ideally $1000-$1100, but I could stretch to $1250+ (upper end if there is in unit W/D, dishwasher and the community has a gym, pool and access gates). I really only want something that is 650-750 sqft. I prefer a smaller space since I'm on my own.

Any guidance would be very, very appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,057,770 times
Galleria is perfectly fine. In fact more than fine as it's one of the more expensive areas in town. Have you been looking on HAR.com : Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors, TX Homes

Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 AM

847 posts, read 1,753,832 times
these are the apartments i used to live in....they have two pools (lap pool and infinity pool), gym, access gates, parking garage, w/d in the unit, sand volleyball, putting green, basketball court, tennis court, concierge for free movie rentals (free popcorn with it), free starbucks coffee, wifi, yoga classes, spinning classes, pilates classes....my wife and i were in a 1 1/2 bedroom (one bedroom and a study that we turned into a bedroom) and our rent was $1300 (includes cable, water, trash pickup)...so i'd imagine that an actual one bedroom would be in your price range...they're located just inside the loop off with EASY access to I-10, 290, and 610.

Cheval

Old 05-09-2012, 02:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,969,546 times
For such a really large budget, why not stay in Montrose? Or do you need one of those big box luxury apartments? Galleria is fine, but I like to walk to cafes and such. You won't ever really feel in much danger in Montrose (IMO).

Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM

88 posts, read 154,191 times
If you don't have to be with the "in crowd" why not try the area around I-10 between 610 and Beltway 8?

Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM

I'm starting to re-think my budget, as I didn't realize how high car payments and insurance could end up being. (I never paid for those thing myself). Is it possible to find a decent apartment at 1000-1100?

I don't need to be in a big box apartment. (the smaller the better, I don't have much stuff). I don't even need all these luxury amenities. I would like to be in a safe area within 30 minutes of work. No where I have called has availability before July it seems anyway. And if they do, the rates are jacked up because it's prime move season.

I've been on har.com, and a few apartment locator sites, and I'm trying to figure out where to go I'm just getting overwhelmed.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,217,687 times
Call one of those apt locators and have her do the work. It's a free service - the apartments pay them.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 AM

286 posts, read 740,095 times
The Gables CityWalk/Waterford Square apartments on West Alabama near Kirby Dr might work for you. They are older but the location and price might be right for you. I looked at them a few years ago, so I don't know if they've updated/renovated at all in that time and amenities were fairly basic back then -- I think one of the complexes had a pool. The area is nice and you'd be in walking distance to Whole Foods and a few other places. You'd be really close to Greenway Plaza from this location and everything else in Montrose/River Oaks/Kirby.

Here is a link to the website: Gables CityWalk/ Waterford Square Apartments: Photos, Floorplans, Availability and Pricing. Address: 2828 Greenbriar, Houston, TX. Luxury Gables Apartments for Rent.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks everyone. I've been working with a couple of realtors (no luck yet) but I'm flying down this afternoon...so hopefully this weekend is successful!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 AM

88 posts, read 154,191 times
30 minutes from Greenway? Try Sugarland. Or stay near I-10 going west from 610 out.

1381 Country Place, Houston, TX 77079 - HAR.com
101 Stratford St 105, Houston, TX 77006 - HAR.com
1312 Shearn St 2, Houston, TX 77007 - HAR.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: