Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 01:34 AM

162 posts, read 554,348 times

Advertisements

It seems like daily there are "im moving to houston" threads from people that dont use the search function and want help finding the right spot for them using the most general criteria. "i dont want to live in a ghetto but im not rich to get a million dollar home, so somewhere in the middle" "i want it to be near 'things to do'" "i want to be near a decent school" "i want to be within an hour and a half from my work".
All of these put you pretty much anywhere in 90% of the city/area.

Every area has restaurants. every area has decent bars. Every area has "things to do" (though they may not be the things you like, but simply saying things to do doesnt let readers know what those things are). Every area is near a good school and a bad school. (some of the cities best schools are only a couple miles away from some of the cities worst). With no zoning, pretty much every area has single family homes, and some apartments. some nice homes, some run down homes. homeless people and crime are everywhere. even way out in the woodlands. (people can argue forever on crime, but there are a few places generally considered across the board to not be the safest areas of town)

I feel like a general stickied thread would be really helpful for people who cant seem to get specific. Nothing that is going to start a bunch of arguments like people saying the best area in the town is neighborhood X.
Stuff like, If you are going to make a thread about where to live, tell us where you are going to work. It can take 2 hours to get from one corner to the other so it will narrow it down if you give us at least NE/SE/SW/NW.
Tell us things other that the general, what everyone wants "where is safe and affordable and family friendly". which really only cuts out 10-20% of the city across the board, though a bunch of other specific areas can be argued to death over their safety/affordability (i dont think anyone will argue that river oaks is cheap, or will argue that 5th ward is the safest area).

What is your budget, and specify if possible. a 400$ a month budget narrows some of the neighborhoods out. Do you want more apartment living or homes? do you want small town living, or "urban"/townhome living? Any preference to the type of people you wanna be around? i realize this might not be PC or might turn into a debate, but do you wanna live around mostly young people? a high gay population? in a mostly spanish area with people who speak primarily spanish?
Do you wanna be near the water/beach (E/SE)? or near the forest/wooded area (up far north)?
Do you want a cheaper cookie cutter home in a new development with deed restrictions? or do you want your home in an eclectic neighborhood "with character"?
near a dog park? off the beaten path? right on a major freeway? near a specific landmark? will you have a vehicle? in an arts district?

what are some other things you guys would like to see in a general stickied thread to help people get more specific when asking for help so that the people who live here can help out those looking for answers a little easier, without making so many shots in the dark.

that way, people can narrow it down easily. Oh you are a young 20 something professional looking to work and live near downtown, and have money to burn? try the midtown area.
You are a family of 5 who own a large boat and go deep sea fishing weekly, and want a newly built suburban home within an hour of the oil refinery you will be working at? try clear lake area.
etc.
i know a lot might still be up for arguments, but it would certainly help cut down the response time, and huge variety of answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 AM

340 posts, read 803,093 times
Better yet, maybe just create a whole "sub" forum of houston for relocation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: