Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
trust me thats not alot that a strip, you want alot go to hong kong, or any asian nation, the bars are just fronts for hookers, are do people think 100 us for a beer is the normal currecny conversion..lol
I am not arguing with you on this one. I don't go to strip clubs or massage parlors, but I don't mind them. These type of places (perhaps due to zoning?) seem to be more prevalent in Houston than many other cities in the US. In Medellin where I used to live, every block has a brothel (legal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 03:17 PM

61 posts, read 166,869 times
Hehehehe my wife is colombian too. Im lucky as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Actually, the one that I came with moved back to Florida. My current gf moved here from NJ, but they are both Colombian (I guess I am a very lucky guy).

Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,440,619 times
We moved to Houston from the UK and it was hard to start with, due in main to us moving to another country and figuring out loads of new things involving pretty much everything you can think of.

It took about three months to figure things out and I miss Houston.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
Quote:
Ride down Richomd Ave, then come up and go down 1960 and see all the "massage" parlors. This is not a negative for me, but the abundance of these establishments and even human trafficking in Houston is well known (not only Houston obviously, Portland actually leads the nation in Human trafficking oddly enough).
Which part of 1960? It is a very long road and I can't say that I have noticed any.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:00 PM

563 posts, read 910,480 times
I agree with MIBS98. I think some of the problem lies with men dating bland, unsociable, inept, Debbie Downerish and just plain boring women. I like advernterous women that have no problem adapting to many different social crowds with a general love for life that draws almost anyone in. This kind of woman never finds herself 'bored."

Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times
Quote:
I am not arguing with you on this one. I don't go to strip clubs or massage parlors, but I don't mind them. These type of places (perhaps due to zoning?) seem to be more prevalent in Houston than many other cities in the US. In Medellin where I used to live, every block has a brothel (legal).
No need to explain, some folks will play anything down that may shed a negative light on H-Town lol

Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
Maybe if she found some real friends it would help ease the homesickness and help her enjoy her new home. Perhaps join some social groups of things she has an interest in. Meetup.com is a great place to find book clubs, walking groups, pretty much anything you have an interest in.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 PM

61 posts, read 166,869 times
Thanks for all the good input guys. I think she will adapt and just needs to make new friends. Plus im sure in the future her mom can move down here too. Im very adaptable and can get used to anything. The only thing i cant be used to is being without my wife. Ill try my best to make living down here work. But if she dont get used to after one year then we will have to move back. Its hard getting a job ithe oil business in NJ so i dont know what i will do.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:46 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman123 View Post
My wife and i recently relocated to Houston and have been here for roughly 2 months. We left the family in NJ and our children are coming next month (had to finish school). I work in the days and my wife has the afternoon shift so we dont see each other much since i have to hit the bed early to be up at 4:30AM.
She tells me she is starting to feel homesick and that she doesnt know if she wants to live here. I say that once the kids are here she will feel much better and that she can also invite her mom and nieces to visit as well.
Bottom line is, anyone went through a similar situation being homesick and second guessing the choice of coming to Houston to have a better quality of life? I think my wife needs to adapt and it might take a little while. Plus she was in NJ over the weekend to see our parents on mother's day and i think seeing the family made her think twice about being here.

Thanks for the replies,
It will take a couple of years to get rid of most of the home sickness...but you will never forget home and always have a longing for it. But once you see all that extra cash in your pocket, the extra free time...you're quickly get over it and continue to live your new life in Houston.

Good luck and welcome to Houston.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
You are down here without your children, away from family and friends and work opposing hours. It's not the area, it's the fact that all human contact is from new co-workers. It can only get better from here. Once the kids get down - that will help. Also, trying to get some husband/wife time carved out will further help. Time will take care of new friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston