Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 AM

118 posts, read 254,568 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I've been reading this forum for quite some time, just signed up for an account as we are actively looking for a new home.

We originally searched in the SBISD villages but the homes were at the very top end of our price range, so we started searching for other neighborhoods. We drove out to Cinco this weekend and I didn't fall in love with it. Too far out and not really any mature trees.

I just discovered the Kelliwood, Green Trails, and Lakes of Buckingham. Did a drive through yesterday and loved it! Our top must haves for a home include good school district, neighborhood feel with mature trees, yard, parks nearby, and not a horrible commute.

I do have some questions that I'm hoping you can help with. Does anyone have an idea about the commute? My husband works near the Galleria. I think he'd most likely take the Chimney Rock or Voss exit off 10. We have always lived inside the loop and have NO idea about commute times, so any help would be appreciated!

Are there any parts of these neighborhoods that are more desirable or less desirable? What about property values - do they tend to hold their value? We have a realtor but I'd like some unbiased opinions and I know you'll give it to me.

Our budget is $450, but we could go to $500-550 if we fell in love. Park & Rides are not an option because my husband typically has to drive to business meetings during the workday.

Thanks!

Last edited by stop-go; 05-29-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,964,667 times
You said you checked "the villages" but did you also look in SBISD west memorial (Nottingham, wilchester and the like)? There's a significant traffic jam on I-10 every morning between Park 10 exit and beltway 8. A few miles closer could make 15 minutes commute difference.

A colleague lives in Green Trails and loves it however. So I doubt it would be a bad choice.

Edit: nevermind, defeating your post you were most likely referring to west memorial as "the villages". There is still a part that is more affordable (Katy isd section west of Eldridge to hwy6), but not sure how much better than green trails that is.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
You said you checked "the villages" but did you also look in SBISD west memorial (Nottingham, wilchester and the like)? There's a significant traffic jam on I-10 every morning between Park 10 exit and beltway 8. A few miles closer could make 15 minutes commute difference.

A colleague lives in Green Trails and loves it however. So I doubt it would be a bad choice.

Edit: nevermind, defeating your post you were most likely referring to west memorial as "the villages". There is still a part that is more affordable (Katy isd section west of Eldridge to hwy6), but not sure how much better than green trails that is.
We are actively looking in Nottingham. Love Wilchester but haven't been able to find anything for us in our price range that we love.

We will be living in the house for the next 18 years at least, so we want to make sure we love it. We prefer not to buy a home that needs anything other than minor cosmetic updates. We remodeled a kitchen in a Heights home and don't want to have to do any kitchen or bathroom re-dos!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-go View Post
We are actively looking in Nottingham. Love Wilchester but haven't been able to find anything for us in our price range that we love.

We will be living in the house for the next 18 years at least, so we want to make sure we love it. We prefer not to buy a home that needs anything other than minor cosmetic updates. We remodeled a kitchen in a Heights home and don't want to have to do any kitchen or bathroom re-dos!
Looking in the memorial area, make sure your realtor knows about all the pocket sales so you don't miss out on any opportunities.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Looking in the memorial area, make sure your realtor knows about all the pocket sales so you don't miss out on any opportunities.
Yeah, I don't think that he does. He is excellent at inside the loop but that's where most of his business is. I told my husband that we would have to be ready to jump fast when something hits the market, although I've heard that most are effectively sold before they hit HAR.com or they go well above asking price.

What's up with this house on Patchester? It looks ok (although interior is not my style), but it's been on the market for quite awhile.

503 Patchester Dr, Houston, TX 77079 - HAR.com

Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 19,984 times
Probably the location...looks like it's right at the corner of Memorial.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee7363 View Post
Probably the location...looks like it's right at the corner of Memorial.
Yep and many people aren't fond of losing their garages and alot of traffic uses patchester to get into the neighborhood.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,516,278 times
One on Cindywood in Nottingham Forest came on the market, eastern Nottingham Forest. Clean and updated, with only minor cosmetic issues you could handle at you own pace. I would jump if I were you.
http://search.har.com/engine/14323-C...AR42944744.htm

I just like Nottingham Forest over Nottingham. Just a nicer neighborhood/community/great club/park access and less traffic. it's appreciating faster because of that as well.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,137,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-go View Post
Yeah, I don't think that he does. He is excellent at inside the loop but that's where most of his business is. I told my husband that we would have to be ready to jump fast when something hits the market, although I've heard that most are effectively sold before they hit HAR.com or they go well above asking price.

What's up with this house on Patchester? It looks ok (although interior is not my style), but it's been on the market for quite awhile.

503 Patchester Dr, Houston, TX 77079 - HAR.com
You need a realtor who lives in the neighborhood to get in, pm me and I can recommend one. A good house is pretty much sold by the time it hits har.
Houses that border busy roads and back onto commercial tend to sit and Patchesters decor is not for everyone.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,854,104 times
I know the first two neighborhoods you named, they are both nice. I liked the location of Kelliwood a little more.

With that budget, you could also look in Houston 77079 (sounds like you're already doing so.)

Working near the Galleria, you might also consider looking in the established areas of Sugar Land... it would have all of your wants, plus zoning, great city services (not dependent on county police, county parks, HOA parks, etc. like in unincorporated Harris)... Sweetwater and areas around it where the trees are mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston