Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:47 AM

182 posts, read 350,510 times

Advertisements

So 90% probability we're going to get a new home in Fairfield. So far everything seems like a plus except the commute although that Cypress Park n Ride is the nicest I have ever seen.

Another thing that came up is 99. Some think it's a big deal some don't. Some argue property values will go up, some argue it could hurt some.

Personally I don't think the noise will be a big deal since I currently life in an apt. by galleria area. I also like the potential 99 convenience. The biggest thing to me is what happens to the value in the long run.

Sure it can go down but as far as I can tell they are not exactly discounting homes along bellaire,spring valley, memorial, or even cinco ranch.

Any opinions welcome.

(no I can't afford Bridgeland so don't even bring that up please)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:54 AM

313 posts, read 282,392 times
Welcome to the suburbs and to Fairfield. It's an overlooked gem of a neighborhood. The schools within the neighborhood are great, the HS is one of the best, if not THE best in CFISD, there are pools, parks and trails everywhere with big trees and mature landscaping and the amenities outside of Fairfield are everything you need and want within 2 miles/10 minutes of an easy drive. People who like Fairfield really like Fairfield and stay in Fairfield.

As for 99 coming in...I don't know. I lived in the loop 2 blocks away from the freeway by the railroad tracks but the location is still a very desirable, sought after neighborhood. People in the 'burbs freak out if they see a power tower 300 yards away or if an apartment complex comes in by their subdivision gates. As if and please. We have so much nearby Section 8 housing and nobody in the elementary school spoke English. That said, 99 wouldn't bother me. Now then, I wouldn't want it on the other side of my fence but close-ish...eh. It's the same 99 that goes through Katy and will go through neighborhoods close to The Woodlands. Look at BW8 going through Memorial and it's still a premier location. Let's see what others have to say.

I will be interested to read others opinions. Is it 'if you build it they will come' or are developers/TXDOT answering a need and want? Whichever, but 99 is a necessity at this point. This city is growing fast and 'sprawlmageddon' is here whether we like it or not.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,822,169 times
I don't think it's a huge problem so long as you're not in the back northwest end of the mpc where it is going in directly next to. It looks like there is maybe a retail strip center or gas station's amount of room wedged in between where the closest home's fence will go and where the edge of 99's concrete wall will sit. I'm not sure if they're putting in an entrace or exit right there, but the good news is there likely won't be a feeder rd, so there won't be some obscene amount of traffic due to it being there.

Case in point, I would avoid directly here if possible, but wouldn't mind being in that subdivision if I was just a few streets east from there.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:16 AM

Well they are supposed to build a sound barrier for Fairfield. It's actually the only community getting one. From here on out if a community wants one they will have to build it themselves. At least it will help a little.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
Welcome to the suburbs and to Fairfield. It's an overlooked gem of a neighborhood. The schools within the neighborhood are great, the HS is one of the best, if not THE best in CFISD, there are pools, parks and trails everywhere with big trees and mature landscaping and the amenities outside of Fairfield are everything you need and want within 2 miles/10 minutes of an easy drive. People who like Fairfield really like Fairfield and stay in Fairfield.

As for 99 coming in...I don't know. I lived in the loop 2 blocks away from the freeway by the railroad tracks but the location is still a very desirable, sought after neighborhood. People in the 'burbs freak out if they see a power tower 300 yards away or if an apartment complex comes in by their subdivision gates. As if and please. We have so much nearby Section 8 housing and nobody in the elementary school spoke English. That said, 99 wouldn't bother me. Now then, I wouldn't want it on the other side of my fence but close-ish...eh. It's the same 99 that goes through Katy and will go through neighborhoods close to The Woodlands. Look at BW8 going through Memorial and it's still a premier location. Let's see what others have to say.

I will be interested to read others opinions. Is it 'if you build it they will come' or are developers/TXDOT answering a need and want? Whichever, but 99 is a necessity at this point. This city is growing fast and 'sprawlmageddon' is here whether we like it or not.
You talking about your old neighborhood?

Old 09-25-2014, 11:25 AM

313 posts, read 282,392 times
My bad, yes.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
My bad, yes.
haha lol!

Old 09-25-2014, 01:38 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times
We currently live less than a mile from BW8 and I almost never hear it unless there is a pack of motorcycles speeding on it, or it is very early in the morning, before 6:00 when we take the dogs out. Then I hear the traffic because there is no other background noise.

Coincidentally, the section curbur pointed out is where my next door neighbor moved to last year. $500K + homes, and a very nice subdivision. If they are putting up a sound fence, I doubt the noise will bother the residents too much.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 PM

35 posts, read 60,319 times
We're less than a mile from 99 in Bridgeland (sorry), we knew it was going in when we built our house, we also knew it was far enough away not to bother us. Also at present there is nothing but field from the end of our street to it, that will eventually get built out and we won't even be able to see it.

It depends where you decide to live, Fairfiled is a huge area and some parts will be closer to it than others. As for what it will do to the neiborhood, this is just my opinion but it can only improve the surroundings. We are now just a 15 minute drive from Katy which has opened up an entire new choice of restaraunts for us. I can't say what it will do to long term values but the short term effect has been a dramatic rise in house prices, if we were to try and move to Bridgeland now we wouldn't be able to afford it either.

In short, I say go for it, also don't know if you have kids or not but Cypress Ranch is a great high school and Fairfield is zoned to it. You also have the brand new middle school there, (name escapes me), we know plenty folks who live there and love it.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:26 PM

No doubt schools are a huge part of it. Seems excellent. Whatever the case having 99 next door has stopped no one from buying houses in the new section. They are selling at an incredible pace. They don't even have a model home to show and tons of lots are gone already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston