Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM

20 posts, read 95,685 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of negotiating on a Darling inventory home in the Sedona Lakes subdivision of Pearland/Manvel. The home has been on the market for 7+ months and we've negotiated it down to about $50K under list price which comes out to be just under $94/sf. We've also asked them to cover all of our closing costs which they agreed to do provided that we go with their in-house lender. I am asking for a Good Faith Estimate to avoid any hidden costs from using the builder's lender. So essentially we'd be showing up at closing with just our down payment.

I want to know if this is a good deal and if we should stop negotiating here? Should we ask them to throw in blinds too? Our realtor is also gifting us a fridge and washer/dryer out of her commission or else we'd ask for that. I've read and been told that getting Darling to concede as much as they have is uncommon so we've been lucky. I just want to know that we are getting the best deal we could get before I sign anything. The house sits on a premium lot (or so I'm told) that backs into the American Canal. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM

340 posts, read 802,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygo View Post
We are in the process of negotiating on a Darling inventory home in the Sedona Lakes subdivision of Pearland/Manvel. The home has been on the market for 7+ months and we've negotiated it down to about $50K under list price which comes out to be just under $94/sf. We've also asked them to cover all of our closing costs which they agreed to do provided that we go with their in-house lender. I am asking for a Good Faith Estimate to avoid any hidden costs from using the builder's lender. So essentially we'd be showing up at closing with just our down payment.

I want to know if this is a good deal and if we should stop negotiating here? Should we ask them to throw in blinds too? Our realtor is also gifting us a fridge and washer/dryer out of her commission or else we'd ask for that. I've read and been told that getting Darling to concede as much as they have is uncommon so we've been lucky. I just want to know that we are getting the best deal we could get before I sign anything. The house sits on a premium lot (or so I'm told) that backs into the American Canal. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

If it is such a premium lot, why has it been on the market for 7 months?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
If it is such a premium lot, why has it been on the market for 7 months?
I asked the builder's agent the same question. She said it's because the two-story homes around it have been selling like hot cakes, it's a one-story house bytheway. She also claims that the house has only been on the market for 3 months, but I used the power of google to learn otherwise.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 AM

340 posts, read 802,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygo View Post
I asked the builder's agent the same question. She said it's because the two-story homes around it have been selling like hot cakes, it's a one-story house bytheway. She also claims that the house has only been on the market for 3 months, but I used the power of google to learn otherwise.
Well the 7 months makes sense for them wanting to negotiate, builders dont make money when the houses just sit there. I would ask for more to be honest, the worse thing they can do is say "no".

Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 AM

551 posts, read 1,573,921 times
One of the reasons it's probably been sitting on the market is because it is in Alvin ISD not Pearland ISD. There is a huge difference between those two districts if you have school age children. The neighborhood and homes in Sedona Lakes are beautiful but I wouldn't want to send my children to the schools zoned to it.
Sounds like you are getting a good deal to me. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
One of the reasons it's probably been sitting on the market is because it is in Alvin ISD not Pearland ISD. There is a huge difference between those two districts if you have school age children. The neighborhood and homes in Sedona Lakes are beautiful but I wouldn't want to send my children to the schools zoned to it.
Sounds like you are getting a good deal to me. Good luck!
Thanks! They are building an elementary school in the subdivision and hopefully by the time our now 9-month old starts school we'll have decided whether we're doing the public vs. private schooling. I know it's probably not on par with Pearland ISD, but I thought Alvin was in an exemplary district? My realtor says Alvin is a lot better than Fort Bend which was on our homes short list (Westin Homes in Shadow Creek Ranch).

Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,443 times
Here's the deal on Sedona Lakes. For the price, you can get a lot more home in Shadow Creek Ranch, Southern Trails and other MPC's very near Sedona Lakes. Perry and one other builder backed out of Sedona Lakes because the developer wouldn't come off its land prices back in 2009 - 10 when the market was in the $hitter. I know, because I wanted to build a Perry Home over there.

So, basically, you can get a comparable home with the same amenities in SCR or Southern Trails from 20 - 25% less, all in. We built a 3,000 sq/ft, home with $30,000K in upgrades and a full 3-car garage (not tandem) in SCR for $51K less than the same (basically) home in Sedona Lakes on a 70' lot. Newbuild prices in SCR and Southern Trails are nowhere near $94/sq, more like mid to high 80's and Perry is still building homes hand over fist in SCR. Take $50k off the list price with Perry and you're in the upper 70's to low 80's/sq ft all in. So, all in all, you're paying a boatload more for the land in Sedona Lakes and it's not THAT much prettier over there.

JPatrick and Darling are both fine builder though.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Last edited by HoustonRonnie; 09-21-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,750 times
In house lender. Make sure when they give you the interest rate to also include the APR!!!!They are required by law to include the APR.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Here's the deal on Sedona Lakes. For the price, you can get a lot more home in Shadow Creek Ranch, Southern Trails and other MPC's very near Sedona Lakes. Perry and one other builder backed out of Sedona Lakes because the developer wouldn't come off its land prices back in 2009 - 10 when the market was in the $hitter. I know, because I wanted to build a Perry Home over there.

So, basically, you can get a comparable home with the same amenities in SCR or Southern Trails from 20 - 25% less, all in. We built a 3,000 sq/ft, home with $30,000K in upgrades and a full 3-car garage (not tandem) in SCR for $51K less than the same (basically) home in Sedona Lakes on a 70' lot. Newbuild prices in SCR and Southern Trails are nowhere near $94/sq, more like mid to high 80's and Perry is still building homes hand over fist in SCR.

JPatrick builds a beautiful home though.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
We looked at both Westin and Perry in SCR and noted that they were all located a little too close for comfort to the chemical plant and infamous landfill, respectively. Due to better resale value and that section of SCR being in Fort Bend ISD we thought Sedona Lakes was the smarter place to go. I know we're paying more for the home per square foot in comparison, but proximity to Hwy 288 for our commute (literally 90 seconds from our door to get on 288), slightly lower tax rate (3.4% MUD included vs. 3.7+%), and lower HOA fees ($500 vs $870). That and I also like that Sedona Lakes is a smaller community only 900 homes at completion (ie: my guests won't get lost trying to find my home or end up driving in circles through the numerous SCR sections). Keep in mind, we're only interested in new construction. I just wanted to get feedback/opinions from a negotiation aspect if we were already getting a good deal or if we should hold out for something better.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
In house lender. Make sure when they give you the interest rate to also include the APR!!!!They are required by law to include the APR.
I told them I would shop around for the best rate and the actually encouraged me to do so. They said they would match whatever I find. Thanks for the tip on APR. I'm just learning all this stuff as I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston