Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You get what you pay for.

And when you pay no taxes, you don't get anything.
Ain't that the truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM

830 posts, read 1,729,891 times
Did I miss where Houston ranks compared to other cities?
I would think it would be better off than cities that experience freezing temps.
My friend visited from Chicago and we were talking about how much better the roads are here.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I would think it would be better off than cities that experience freezing temps.
My friend visited from Chicago and we were talking about how much better the roads are here.
I grew up in Chicago. Texans love to rip Obama and his "Chicago politics", but I'll tell you something.

Chicago has better roads, it's cleaner, there are no areas where wires look like a jumbled mess (think Westheimer between Uptown and Beltway 8), they are much better at dealing with the homeless issue etc.

Some will say, "Yeah, but you get taxed to death to pay for your crooked politicians. Are those things worth it?"

To which I respond, "I never had to spend 2,200 dollars a year getting tires, alignments and who knows what for my car. Is it not worth it to pay taxes?"

With all due respect to Texans, one thing I have found is many don't seem to realize that in the end, you wind up paying for it somehow.

Just because we live in a low tax state doesn't mean we don't get hosed.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I support the idea of toll roads, make those who use new roads pay for them not everyone who fills up with gasoline or diesel.
I'm 100% against toll roads,
but I would agree with your idea ONLY IF it was done in a fair way.

In all of Texas I-35 has the largest flow of traffic, shouldn't that be the first one in line to be a toll road?
But instead, most of the toll roads in Texas are roads inside the cities that people need to use to go to work on a daily basis.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Quote:
I grew up in Chicago. Texans love to rip Obama and his "Chicago politics", but I'll tell you something.

Chicago has better roads, it's cleaner, there are no areas where wires look like a jumbled mess (think Westheimer between Uptown and Beltway 8), they are much better at dealing with the homeless issue etc.

Some will say, "Yeah, but you get taxed to death to pay for your crooked politicians. Are those things worth it?"

To which I respond, "I never had to spend 2,200 dollars a year getting tires, alignments and who knows what for my car. Is it not worth it to pay taxes?"

With all due respect to Texans, one thing I have found is many don't seem to realize that in the end, you wind up paying for it somehow.

I'm sure in any second the new Houston cheerleader (Jerk whatever his name is) will chime in on this post...4...3...2...1...

WTF; he doesn't even live in Houston lol

Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I disagree,
up North they make sure that their highways are flat because of snow and ice
making them MUCH more safer than that crappy Texas design of "making highways go over roads"

Road going over the highway (St. Louis I-64)

Houston Beltway - Highway going over a road

Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:

I'm from up there too. I agree that it is cleaner looking and less jumbled looking in Chicago. However, I saw more areas with potholes in Chicago (that I drove over for years) than I do here. But maybe the areas I was driving in and am driving in are not representative of the cities--never did a scientific study, haha. The North has a lot more reason to have potholes anyways, due to the Winter. Anyway, it would be wonderful if cities across America looked at the recommendations from the ASCE and start making repairs to our country's crumbling infrastructure. I'm sure it would help create a LOT of jobs too. Of course, TX wouldn't go for increased government spending.

Last edited by 55degrees; 11-18-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I disagree,
up North they make sure that their highways are flat because of snow and ice
making them MUCH more safer than that crappy Texas design of "making highways go over roads"
Thank God the roads up there are flat! Any time I see steep streets around the country, I imagine trying to drive on it with snow/ice and I'm grateful that Chicago streets are flat.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Quote:

The problem is that the expressways north of I-80 outside and including the Tri-State Tollway are tolled. The Illinois Tollway agency is known as a slush fund for making laundered money clean. Blagojevich is the most recent example. Too bad his name was on those open road tolling signs; another opportunity for the state to rob you without noticing it.

This is why I oppose toll roads. Sadly, Texas is following Illinois' crooked politics but with a right-wing spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston