Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:50 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times

Advertisements

This post isn't even related to houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
This post isn't even related to houston.

Of course it is. It's about cost of living issues. I've already posted the article about home sales surging 30% in the last year here. How soon before rents get out of control here? How soon before Houston has to resort to something similar? Cost of living is probably THE most talked about topic on the Houston city boards. It's why everyone is moving to Houston!

Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
No - it is about apt. sizes in California -- the linked article is about S.F. The only thing about Houston is the city name in the title and "hoping" it doesn't happen here. Okay topic but probably should have been in started in the Houston Chat thread for just basic conversation.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
No - it is about apt. sizes in California -- the linked article is about S.F. The only thing about Houston is the city name in the title and "hoping" it doesn't happen here. Okay topic but probably should have been in started in the Houston Chat thread for just basic conversation.
Well, it could have been in any number of threads. But it's a topic that has been discussed in several of the "moving to Houston from ___" threads. Where quality of life and cost of living is a huge concern. I guess I could have posted it on one of the "moving to Houston from CA" threads. I think this article really emphasizes the high quality of life that exists in Houston. I just think there are a lot of people who have lived in Houston their entire lives that just don't realize how lucky they are when compared to other large cities.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Of course it is. It's about cost of living issues. I've already posted the article about home sales surging 30% in the last year here. How soon before rents get out of control here? How soon before Houston has to resort to something similar? Cost of living is probably THE most talked about topic on the Houston city boards. It's why everyone is moving to Houston!
Its such a non-issue, its not even funny.

In Houston, no one is fighting for space the way they are in San Francisco. Because there are no geographical boundries for the most part, they probably wont resort to that. For the most part Houston (like every other city south of I-80) is building out much more than it is up. There is nothing standing in the way so that wont change. People will still get their large house complete with a lawn. You cant do that in San Francisco.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Its such a non-issue, its not even funny.

In Houston, no one is fighting for space the way they are in San Francisco. Because there are no geographical boundries for the most part, they probably wont resort to that. For the most part Houston (like every other city south of I-80) is building out much more than it is up. There is nothing standing in the way so that wont change. People will still get their large house complete with a lawn. You cant do that in San Francisco.
Also not true. For years, low wage earners have resorted to moving as far as Sacramento to find affordable housing. In fact, believe it or not, many people now refer to Sacramento as a "burb" of SF. Yes, people in Houston can always get their large house. But where? At some point people will be 90 miles west of Houston clear out past the EC. What good is that? This might come as a shock to you, but most those people buying that large house are also interested in that "nice school" that comes with it. And not every area has those schools. Those areas with the best school, have the most expensive housing.

And furthermore, not everyone has to live in SF city itself. Yes, there are geographical boundaries but come on man, people live all over the southern peninsula in Silicon Valley, all over Marin County and into Contra Costa County. There is no shortage of housing. There is a shortage of affordable housing.

Now back to Houston, I really would not find it very attractive to have to live 60 miles out of downtown if I had to commute there. Again, that is a "quality of life" issue. So to live inside the loop or close to it, is going to get more and more expensive.

But to the overall theme about quality of life, geographical boundaries or not, I keep hearing about this wonderful high quality of life out in Cali. I asked people to post houses and pics and no one has. SF is just another example that unless you are filthy rich, your quality of life could be downright awful if you have to live in a freaking storage closet at $1500 a month. Where do I sign up for that?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Actually, I can see a use for them here. Some prefer to live way outside the city and work Downtown. This efficiency could be used Tuesday - Thursday night, in lieu of a hotel. A hotel room is about the same size. They could also use it whenever coming into the city for an event. It would have to go for much lower here, though, than S.F.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Those are TINY!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newton22 View Post
How big is the average single bed hotel room (including bathroom, closets etc.)?
300-500 sq ft.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 PM

492 posts, read 791,398 times
I guess if you live a southern or boring lifestyle where you sit in the house all day the. You need 900sq apartment.

The difference between California and NYC is people have many more option and activities to have a life and things to get into in those places then Houston or other cheap places to live. You pay a premium to live in a fun exciting place that will keep you OUT of the house.

Houston doesn't offer what San Fran or NYC does. That means its cheaper becuase not as many people willing to a lot to live in Houston. The walk ability, density,mass transit and weather alone make San Fran more desirable than Houston without even getting to culture and activities.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for. Houston does not have the culture and activity to justify San Fran rent costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston