Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:08 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
This post.

Sadly, he just won't get it.

He needs to recognize that everyone doesn't care about a big house and nice car.

People value things differently.
Just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he doesn't get it.

We all agree that SF has more to offer, we just don't think the money it takes to live that lifestyle is worth it when you can have a great lifestyle right here in Houston for less. We may not have as many restaurants, cafes, bars, and shops but we have plenty to keep us happy here. I currently live Uptown and I'm in walking distance to some of the best restaurants and shopping. On the weekends I'm a short drive to the theater and museum district. I'm also a very short drive to Memorial and Terry Hershey Park. Like most cities I'm within an hour drive of national parks and the coast.

I currently pay $1500 a month in rent and I'd say I have a pretty good lifestyle. If I moved to SF I'd probably do just about the same amount of stuff that I do in Houston because I'm only one person and there's only so many restaurants I can visit as well as so many shops I'll go to. If I lived in SF I doubt I'd go to every thing they had to offer just like I'll probably never get around to doing everything Houston has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I gotta ask again
why are we talking about San Francisco/California in the Houston forum?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I gotta ask again
why are we talking about San Francisco/California in the Houston forum?
I think the OP was wondering if the micro apartments in SF could ever work in Houston. The majority of people say no it couldn't. From there it became a discussion about why it's possible in a city like SF and not in a city like Houston.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think the OP was wondering if the micro apartments in SF could ever work in Houston. The majority of people say no it couldn't. From there it became a discussion about why it's possible in a city like SF and not in a city like Houston.
Here you go, it works in Houston
Westview Forest Apartments - 300 sq ft studio
only 80 sq ft bigger (17'x17' instead of 15'x15')

I don't see any question in the original post,
all I see the OP complaining about San Francisco cost of living and how much he would hate to live in an expensive micro apartment = In San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
San Francisco Supervisors Approve 220 Square Foot Apartments « CBS San Francisco

Again, I know people get upset when I keep harping on this, but this is exactly what I'm talking about when discussing quality of life. These 220 sq foot apartments are going to go for $1500 a month! Some of you guys have bathrooms bigger then that. Yes, SF is beautiful and the arts and the people and all that. But I would be absolutely miserable living in a closet and still paying $1500 a month. Yeah I know, the weather is great.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,843 times
Quote:

all I see the OP complaining about San Francisco cost of living and how much he would hate to live in an expensive micro apartment = In San Francisco
Hey Pacho, please point me to where on this site it says every thread should be started with a question. I'll be waiting. And in the future Mr Trabek, I'll do my best to start every thread in the form of a question.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
This post.

Sadly, he just won't get it.

He needs to recognize that everyone doesn't care about a big house and nice car.

People value things differently.
Sure I appreciate walkability and mass transit. And those things are a plus to places like SF, Chicago and NY. I never said they weren't. The question is, would you spend twice as much money to be able to walk somewhere. I stay in great shape by going to the gym. I do like to walk. But there are many other factors to consider. For example, to live in NY do I really want to live clear out in the rockaways and all those other far out places in Queens you posted which are NOT walkable btw. No, I don't. Do I want spend 3k a month for that apt on Russian Hill in SF just to be able to stop in and have a coffee in some hip cafe on my walk home from work? No, I don't. Don't get me wrong, that is a cool thing to do. Just not worth an extra 24k a year for me. I would much rather take the money I'm saving and go to Europe once a year. Then maybe take a trip up to the rockies and maybe splurge in Manhattan for a week and take in some good shows. I can do all that with the money I'm saving.

As for Chicago, it's no SF or NY. It's just a big drinking town. There are a million bars here and they are all alike. So I don't put Chicago in the same category as NY or SF or even LA. I'm getting tired of the drinking scene anyway. Especially when the bars are packed with big Ten frat boys who still think they are in college. Throw in the cold winters, the flat landscape and no place even remotely interesting within one day's drive and that seals it.

I never said Houston was nirvana. It's just a cheap place to live with cool people with a strong economy where one can save enough money to travel the world if they like. I'm in my late 30's. I don't want to go out every night. I'm tired of being around people all the time. After a while it wears on you.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind living in London one day. And San Diego would also be fun. If I had to move back to the East Coast, I think I would live in Philly. I can take the train to NY or DC to get away and have a lower cost of living in Philly.

For those of you that hate Houston so much, why do you live here? If it's so easy living in NY or Chicago, what's keeping you from moving there. And don't even tell me money.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Ok, we get it,
you hate San Francisco and love Houston .... next

Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Ok, we get it,
you hate San Francisco and love Houston .... next
No, obviously you don't get it as I never stated I hated SF. In fact, I listed many positives about the city. Are you this dense in real life or do you just play this character on message boards?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:

That apartment is $420. The one in San Francisco is $1500.

The discussion is more about the disparity of cost of living.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That apartment is $420. The one in San Francisco is $1500.

The discussion is more about the disparity of cost of living.
Plus, that apartment is in the middle of nowhere. The ones in SF will be in good spots--probably South of Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston