Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 PM

54 posts, read 192,286 times

Advertisements

My husband grew up in Chicago and I lived there for 10 years before we moved to Houston. The biggest changes for me were the weather and the southern pace (very slow, very friendly). I was very impatient with everyone for about a year before I adapted. We've lived in England for 3 years too and that polite attitude we found there is the way it is here in Houston.

Katy is a very family friendly suburb with a large international population. For the shortest commute to the Energy Corridor and in Katy schools, you will want to focus on the northeast sections- some of which is technically Houston. Subdivisions of Green Trails, Kelliwood. Cinco Ranch is a little further out but then you'll get a newer home and great community amenities. Grand Lakes and Seven Meadows are other similar communities near Cinco Ranch.

Depending on your budget, you also might want to consider homes in Spring Branch ISD.

Spend some time on har.com to get familiar with the housing market for the different areas.

Good luck with the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee_Chicago View Post
I grew up in the United Kingdom and moved to the US 13 years ago, and all that time I’ve lived in Chicago.
The first 4 years I lived in Lakeview, and the last 9 years we have lived in Wicker Park

It’s a huge step for us to move to Houston, but I think once we find a house and get our 3 Children settled in a school we will really start to enjoy Houston
Where in Lakeview? I currently live in East Lakeview and I'm on my way to Houston as well. Apparently there is a lot of people moving from Chicago to Houston. Good luck with the move.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,134,041 times
A budget would be helpful, public or private schooling?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:35 PM

12 posts, read 30,939 times
Thanks Poster named BDFP for reminding me that a budget would make it a lot easier for people to help and assist in over move to Houston.
We are looking for a Single Family home with 4 bedrooms and at least 2 Bathrooms, and a decent sized back garden, and good schools are a must.
Other than those things everything else is a bonus.
Our move doesn't have to be in Cinco Ranch, or Katy, It just needs to be within a 40 minute drive of the Energy Corridor for my Wife to get to work.
Currently our Children are in a Chicago Private school, but we would prefer our school in Texas to be a public school if we can find a school with before and after school care which we are finding not all schools have.

I would like to say how appreciative we are for your help, so far, and please send any info you might have our way
Thanks

Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM

126 posts, read 240,628 times
I will tell you this about Cinco Ranch, and take it how you will..the area is becoming very international with a rapidly growing Muslim population. There are Mosques and Islamic schools popping up everywhere.

I do not mean any judgement or anything bad like this. Coming from Chicago, you know Greektown, Chinatown, Little Poland, etc. There are ethnic parts to every major city, and the west side of Harris County just happens to have a very large concentration of Middle Eastern people.

It's just information that one might need to know before investing in a home and sending kids to school.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Zip codes 77024 or 77079. No commute, best public schools in the metro, great proximity to the best privates.
since you are hesitant to put a housing budget on here, I'm suggesting the best options.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM

430 posts, read 1,257,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan in texas View Post
I will tell you this about Cinco Ranch, and take it how you will..the area is becoming very international with a rapidly growing Muslim population. There are Mosques and Islamic schools popping up everywhere.

I do not mean any judgement or anything bad like this. Coming from Chicago, you know Greektown, Chinatown, Little Poland, etc. There are ethnic parts to every major city, and the west side of Harris County just happens to have a very large concentration of Middle Eastern people.

It's just information that one might need to know before investing in a home and sending kids to school.

Other than the Muslim American Society on Baker Rd, where exactly are all these mosques and schools popping up?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,134,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Zip codes 77024 or 77079. No commute, best public schools in the metro, great proximity to the best privates.
since you are hesitant to put a housing budget on here, I'm suggesting the best options.
Check har.com map search of these zip codes south of I-10. 77079 west of Eldridge Parkway starts at $350k, add $100k for every major street east. Over the beltway is 77024 where you might be able to get into Fonn Villas for $650k and after that anywhere up to $1M++.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan in texas View Post

Don't believe this is true. I live in Cinco and don't feel this at all.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 AM

12 posts, read 30,939 times
I forgot to give the full list of details were looking for
4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, back garden, excellent schools for our 3 Children aged Six, Five, and Three, and the school defiantly needs to have Before and After school programs, and the price will need to be under 350K.
Is that going to be possible within a 40 minute drive of the Energy Corridor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston