Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,651 times

Advertisements

1) bought a house in early 2009 (2200 sq ft perry home 210K) and lost about 15-20K in value. does anyone know what were the underlying specific factors on the decline (other than the obvious housing market decline)? we are planning to sell our house to upgrade to a bigger house and we were not sure if we need to wait and see if the value will climb back up in the near future. 2) We like shadowcreek ranch a lot but we are just discouraged/disappointed with the factors mentioned in question 1 so we are also thinking if shadowcreek ranch is still a good area to live if we are looking towards future growth (appreciation, school districts, location) my wife and I work in energy corridor and downtown area so we are also looking into riverstone or cinco ranch areA. We also have a kid that will go to school in about a year. Thanks in advance for the inputs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:35 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Cinco climbs the best, out of the three.

As to why your house declined - what subdivision? Also, if you built from dirt, as opposed to buying an inventory house or re-sale, it will take more than 3 years to make up the the difference in what you paid and re-sale value, even in a strong-selling neighborhood.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,386 times
You're not going to see real appreciation in the suburbs, the location sucks.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,651 times
sorry, didnt type that very well. we bought the house in shadowcreek. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM

22 posts, read 137,633 times
I'd pick either Riverstone or Cinco over Shadow Creek. From what I've heard, the Brazoria County portion of SCR has ridiculous insurance premiums. Cinco has the best schools of the three, but commuting downtown from there would suck. Riverstone is probably the best bet for a split commute, but I've heard that Elkins high school is not that great, although maybe it'll get better by the time your kid attends as Riverstone fills out. I would be most interested in hearing FBISD's future zoning/growth plans.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM

184 posts, read 314,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBackAgain View Post
I'd pick either Riverstone or Cinco over Shadow Creek. From what I've heard, the Brazoria County portion of SCR has ridiculous insurance premiums. Cinco has the best schools of the three, but commuting downtown from there would suck. Riverstone is probably the best bet for a split commute, but I've heard that Elkins high school is not that great, although maybe it'll get better by the time your kid attends as Riverstone fills out. I would be most interested in hearing FBISD's future zoning/growth plans.
How crazy are the insurance premiums in SCR?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 AM

184 posts, read 314,935 times
Wife and I are starting to look at SCR. How have the home prices been? We would like to buy for the next 15-20 years and grow into a home, but I'm starting to read about landfills and low income housing and getting a little worried.
Any thoughts?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM

286 posts, read 555,249 times
Cinco Ranch is ETJ Houston...ie no restrictions against apartments. There are lots of apartments existing in that area as is and lots of "free" land clearly marked off for many more.

Example:
http://www.stopspringlakeapartments.com/

Fortunately Grand Parkway south of WestPark Tollway will also be a tollway which should keep rampant apartment builds out of that area.

Riverstone is easily the best of the three but also is the most expensive. The only downside I can think of is that it's closer to the coast, ie Hurricanes. Missouri City and Sugar Land have yet to install a proper levee there.

Last edited by JaqueCosto; 01-09-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston