Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times

Advertisements

Moving to Houston is a mistake? Moving to Las Vegas is the biggest mistake of all because of the flashiness and tackiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,469 times
I live in Houston. You might also consider Atlanta (unless you have something drawing you to Houston). Atlanta is a young city and fun. Traffic is bad, city is sprawled out all over. Friendly southern hospitality. 4 seasons. Enough humidity to be comfortable (not as dry as other places you mentioned).

Old 10-19-2007, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,578 times
I am thinking of moving to denver from Houston. I work as an accountant. We have a 3 yr old son. any thoughts about moving there?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,578 times
Houston is too spread apart and does not have mass transit. Traffic is horrible if you live in the suburbs. Road rage is a norm on i10 and i45. The one good thing about Houston is that there are a lot of jobs.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:39 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaa25 View Post
Houston is too spread apart and does not have mass transit. Traffic is horrible if you live in the suburbs. Road rage is a norm on i10 and i45. The one good thing about Houston is that there are a lot of jobs.
I don't think road rage is the norm - it does happen but there certainly are not personal attacks on a daily basis do to road rage.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:16 PM

124 posts, read 700,629 times
I never had a problem with road rage here in Houston. I think the majority of the drivers are cordial. Believe me I lived on the east coast for 30 years and you have not seen road rage. People even get murder on I-95 on the east coast due to road rage. Never heard of anything like that happening here in Houston. My husband and I actually think that the people here drive slow compare to what we are accustomed to. Interstate 10 is like child's play to us compare to I-95 through Washington DC and New York. LOL! It makes me laugh when I hear people complaining about I-10. I could drive that in my sleep.

Now back to the original topic. People questioned moving to Houston because of preconceive notions or biases that they have about Texas. When in fact some of these people never step foot in the state of Texas. Everyone thought that I was insane for relocating here from the east coast. I was born and raised in Washington DC and lived in four other states. Houston has everything that DC has to offer, but with low crime, low cost of living, better public schools, less taxes, and more friendly people. Houston is not a paradise here on earth, but is surely beats living in other places from my experiences. Besides the heat, I have no regrets about relocating here at all.

Now... if we do not get some cool weather soon, then I might change my mind.

Last edited by Rose31; 10-20-2007 at 08:31 PM..

Old 10-20-2007, 10:46 PM

39 posts, read 107,466 times
Well from my ten previous years spent in Austin, I love Texans!!! I'm sure Houston will be very different from Austin in many ways, but I love true southern folks!! My issue is not about road rage and traffic b/c any big city has both but I wonder if its hard to feel a sense of community or find your niche as a new resident to Houston b/c its so big and spread out. Thats how it seems here in Phoenix, where nobody really connects and thats what i want to get away from. Also- I think I will rent for the first year to find areas that I like but when reading other posts I noticed the areas recommened are usually the heights, midtown, rice village, etc.... When i went driving through the heights it seemed like only blocks from really cute well-kept houses was the ghetto! In addition, I would love to find an area such as the suggestions that also have bars, restaurants within the neighborhood. Are any of those areas like that or is it just houses? Thank you all for your input so far.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaa25 View Post
Road rage is a norm on i10 and i45.

No offense, but maybe you need to check yourself. Stay relaxed and see how bad it is. Drive the other 10 largest cities in the US and then get back to us. Most people with crazy ideas about Houston traffic have it all in their head. My Central TX country in-laws are the first folks that come to mind. Chicago, Phoenix, LA, DC would eat them alive.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:31 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,455 times
I've heard stories about Houston road rage. I've driven in Chicago traffic and "survived", how are Houston drivers compared to Chicago drivers?

Old 10-21-2007, 04:29 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,473 times
It's here and don't believe anyone if the tell you it's not.....people have been shot on the freeways here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston