Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
JFRE, seriously you've got to stop posting the GOOD pictures. shhhhhh.
Oh....ok....I should clarify that those pictures of the greenery I took were actually in Beirut.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/jfre81/084-1.jpg (broken link)

Now this.....this is Houston's finest landmark. Take that, Chitown. Yeah, that Tribune Co. Tower can't top this level of elegance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,829,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housewife View Post
By the way, my sister just moved from Dallas to SF. She loves the weather but hates the fact that they had to spend 1.2 million on a home that you can get for 200k in Houston. She can't get over all of the scary homeless people EVERYWHERE. Her husband makes a great living, but now she has to go back to work. She calls me crying every day and wants to leave as soon as possible. As my sister says "Yeah it's beautiful, but it is not worth the price!"
That's how I've come to feel about the entire West Coast. I'm prepared to hate the weather in Texas but still believe I made the right choice to move there (I'm arriving in March).

My husband is already there and he said he was sweating yesterday because he isn't yet accustomed to the humidity (and may never be) and he said he would still choose Houston over Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, or Los Angeles.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Oh....ok....I should clarify that those pictures of the greenery I took were actually in Beirut.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/jfre81/084-1.jpg (broken link)

Now this.....this is Houston's finest landmark. Take that, Chitown. Yeah, that Tribune Co. Tower can't top this level of elegance.
I think I see a person on the 5th floor, right in the middle. Might be a swinging door though.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I think I see a person on the 5th floor, right in the middle. Might be a swinging door though.
Or a squatter...the actual population of downtown is a little higher than the Census Bureau says it is...

Concerning humidity - it makes you sweat and helps stave off heatstroke. It feels good in the summer when you have a front that dips the humidity south of 50%, but you've got to be careful, because it's still going to be hot and it might be hotter than it feels to you because you're used to the high heat index (even when the actual air temperature isn't necessarily that high (low to mid 90s, compare with Dallas or anywhere in the desert). Just stay hydrated either way if you're outside.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:19 PM

57 posts, read 159,208 times
That hotel bldg is sooo ugly. I hope that is a joke and not really representative of what Houston looks like. I am debating on relocating from MI suburban Detroit area to Houston TX area of Ft. Lauderdale FL area. I am trying to relocate to beautiful weather and environment. FL was first choice but TX winning based on feedback about FL public school system, and cost of living. I love warm weather and a clean tropical environment. Does TX have any palm trees? anywhere. Hope it is not as ugly and dirty as Detroit. I am torn between the 2 locations. Both have weather. I like it hot all yr round so FL better for that. FL also very pretty. But Houston seems to have more to offer in every other area. Please don't tell me I have to sacrifice beauty or search for it.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesgru View Post
That hotel bldg is sooo ugly. I hope that is a joke and not really representative of what Houston looks like.
Not at all. We have billboards across the freeway from the ugly abandoned hotel too. (And a cleverly-placed one right next to Metro HQ )

You can always look at the pinned photo thread for a more, shall we say, "comprehensive" selection of sights in Houston...(thanks mostly to RGV )

Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
There are a lot of other pictures of Houston posted on this site -- and they show more of the good parts of Houston. Houston is big -- you get the good, the bad and the ugly here. It's all in what you choose to see.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
This looks like Main St? Familiar sight whatever the case.

This is pretty typical Houston I must say.

You should take some pix of Harwin/Hillcroft and the surrounding area & post them up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

What do you mean it's not the prettiest place on Earth? The French Riviera's got nothing on this.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Yeah, just don't post Eldridge Parkway near the EC. I went down that today for the first time in EONS. Damn I was impressed. Sections put the Woodlands Parkway to shame.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
This looks like Main St? Familiar sight whatever the case.
It is indeed South Main@Buffalo Speedway.

A SW Side tour? Sounds interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston