Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,038,963 times

Advertisements

Lots of Brits/UK people in Energy Corridor (77077) West Houston & South Katy (Cinco Ranch area) Check out Yorkshire Academy, they have lots of Expat kids there & follow British School curriculum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,519,329 times
Another brit here. Definitely consider waiting until you have your green card to buy, while it isn't necessary for a mortgage, there's nothing worse than worrying about what you'll do if your job suddenly gets cut and you've got 30 days to leave the country. You should make sure the company commits to starting the process as soon as you arrive.

We've only just moved into the Houston area ourselves (from Illinois) so I don't have much local advice to offer I'm afraid, but make sure to get the kids vaccination records to bring with you as you'll need to have the kids get a checkup at the doctor to enroll them in school (the doctor here will give you a form showing their shots are up to date on their shots).

We've also been looking at Cinco Ranch, partly because it offers a little more walkability than some other areas. Coming from Europe, I think it's quite an adjustment to find yourself driving absolutely everywhere. I don't know how you feel about this, but don't automatically assume every community will have shops and parks you can just walk to.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy!

Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 AM

27 posts, read 58,850 times
Thanks for all the positive advice. It's very welcome.

With regards to the children's medical and record of innoculations for going to school - could I get that done here by my GP in the UK and take to US school or will that have to be done on our arrival?

I too liked the Cinco area as I felt it seemed a bit walkable. The advice on getting green card is great and will make sure hubby's company get on that ASAP. Once I get our moving date next week I'll start my preparations proper. I'm very excited at what my families new adventure has to offer.

Have a wonderful weekend xxx

Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM

There are some shots they will need to have that won't have been given in the UK, I think Hep B is the main one. You'll need to get your health insurance info so you can get a doctor here without paying through the nose but it takes a couple of weeks so take the UK ones in when you register them at the school and explain the situation. You should be able to get a list of what you'll need for registration on the school district website. They'll need to have those shots for their green cards too (you'll have to get up to date for yours as well so bring any vaccination records you have for yourself).

Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,140,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Lots of Brits/UK people in Energy Corridor (77077) West Houston & South Katy (Cinco Ranch area) Check out Yorkshire Academy, they have lots of Expat kids there & follow British School curriculum.
OP's kids are 12 and 14, Yorkshire only goes up to grade 5 and the graduating class last year was 8 kids. Pre-school through grade 1 is very popular then enrollment drops off.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 AM

488 posts, read 1,385,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSassy30 View Post

With regards to the children's medical and record of innoculations for going to school - could I get that done here by my GP in the UK and take to US school or will that have to be done on our arrival?

I too liked the Cinco area as I felt it seemed a bit walkable. The advice on getting green card is great and will make sure hubby's company get on that ASAP. Once I get our moving date next week I'll start my preparations proper. I'm very excited at what my families new adventure has to offer.

You should be able to find a list of requred immunisations on the school district website.

We got our son's up to fate in the UK before we came over (for free) but one of them was a series of shots so I don't know if 7 weeks is long enough. Our GP gave us a print out of our health records which was enough for the school and a letter signed by us confirming he had had chickenpox meant he didn't need the varicella vaccination.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM

967 posts, read 2,614,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSassy30 View Post

Not all Cinco Ranch is walkable. In fact the "newest" parts of Cinco Ranch are downright in the middle of nowhere. Walking trails, yes... but only to more houses nearby. The very best area for walkability is closest to 99/Cinco Ranch Blvd/Westheimer Parkway/Commercial Center Blvd.

For example, I have friends that live at the apartments, Lakes of Cinco Ranch, 2855 Commercial Center Blvd. The kids are walking distance to Cinco Ranch Jr High/High School, the Library, La Centerra shopping center. The Super Target on Commercial Center Blvd/Westheimer Parkway sells all the groceries and housewares you'll ever need. Quite a bit in terms of banks, dentist/dr/ortho can be found on this little strip of Commercial Center Blvd.

If you can get yourself in walking distance of Commercial Center Blvd, you are good to go! (school, shopping, dining, groceries, dr, library, etc...)

Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 AM

967 posts, read 2,614,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
There are some shots they will need to have that won't have been given in the UK, I think Hep B is the main one. You'll need to get your health insurance info so you can get a doctor here without paying through the nose but it takes a couple of weeks so take the UK ones in when you register them at the school and explain the situation. You should be able to get a list of what you'll need for registration on the school district website. They'll need to have those shots for their green cards too (you'll have to get up to date for yours as well so bring any vaccination records you have for yourself).
Immunizations can be had "fairly cheaply" at the Redi-Clinic types of places at the Walgreens or HEB, etc... We enrolled into Griffin Elem in 2007 when half the kids were new to the school, and many were expats from elsewhere. The nurses sent many families to the Redi-Clinic at the HEB on Fry/99 for a quick missing immunization. I think it was $40?

Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Good to know, I thought you could only do flu shots at those places!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 PM

27 posts, read 58,850 times
Thanks guys, very helpful info about the shots the kiddos need, I will contact my GP next week and get the ball rolling on them. So much to think about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston