Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
It's not illegal to follow someone or ask what they are doing. Trayvon could have told ZImmerman to go fly a kite. Instead he decided to beat the crap out of Zimmerman. One thing that has stood out during the Martin case is that a large portion of the black population seems to think it is acceptable to beat the crap out of someone for following or for saying something they don't like. Perhaps that is one reason a disproportionate number of blacks are in prison.

Anyway, liberals don't like stand your ground because it gets in the way of redistribution of income via crime.
Let me get this straight
- Self-defense with fists from somebody chasing you with a gun = Criminal
- Self-defense with a gun from somebody that is punching you = Law abiding citizen

I'd love to see everybody's reaction if Trayvon had had a gun to "defend himself" and Zimmerman didn't have one

Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
yes i am afraid that the sword does not cut both ways. civil rights law was intended to provide a level playing field. it didnt. it just reversed the injustice.
of course for those who lust for paypack that are ok with that.
when a victim extracts vengeance there are no rules or fair play.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Let me get this straight
- Self-defense with a gun from somebody that is punching you = Law abiding citizen
well simple common sense ...an attack comes first before any defense.
If there was a real chase there is no way a football player teen should not be able to get away from a fattie like GZ. obviously that didn't happen

Old 07-26-2013, 02:37 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Let me get this straight

I'd love to see everybody's reaction if Trayvon had had a gun to "defend himself" and Zimmerman didn't have one

But once again you FAIL to acknowledge the fact that GZ was not CHASING TM with his gun out. (Why would TM be so stupid as to try and attack someone holding a gun).

You continue to be way off base...perhaps you should review the facts of the case.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
But once again you FAIL to acknowledge the fact that GZ was not CHASING TM with his gun out. (Why would TM be so stupid as to try and attack someone holding a gun).

You continue to be way off base...perhaps you should review the facts of the case.
Does it matter if he had the gun out or not? Maybe, but, if someone is coming at you (and you don't know why) in the middle of the night, I think most people would do one of two things: run or fight. It would have been smart if TM had asked why he was being followed. Then again, TM never had a reason to run in the first place because he wasn't doing anything wrong, so why wouldn't he fight? Again, it's not to say that TM was right, but lawful or not, he did what a lot of people would do - probably the same people that support GZ taking a gun on a neighborhood watch, when it's not generally advised by such associations. It would have been smart if GZ should have announced himself, but it escalated past that. It's clear that there was a struggle, TM was on top when he was shot, and GZ was injured - and that's probably the most that is concrete. Most of the other stuff is speculation. ither way, assumption met recklessness, in my opinion.

In any case, you have to recognize that Florida's self-defense laws don't require one to leave the situation, even if there is a way out. GZ was within the law as he describes the event, but those be some shady laws, in my opinion.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 07-26-2013 at 03:31 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Does it matter if he had the gun out or not? Maybe, but, if someone is coming at you (and you don't know why) in the middle of the night, I think most people would do one of two things: run or fight. It would have been smart if TM had asked why he was being followed. Then again, TM never had a reason to run in the first place because he wasn't doing anything wrong, so why wouldn't he fight? Again, it's not to say that TM was right, but lawful or not, he did what a lot of people would do - probably the same people that support GZ taking a gun on a neighborhood watch, when it's not generally advised by such associations. It would have been smart if GZ should have announced himself, but it escalated past that. It's clear that there was a struggle, TM was on top when he was shot, and GZ was injured - and that's probably the most that is concrete. Most of the other stuff is speculation. ither way, assumption met recklessness, in my opinion.

In any case, you have to recognize that Florida's self-defense laws don't require one to leave the situation, even if there is a way out. GZ was within the law as he describes the event, but those be some shady laws, in my opinion.
I don't think TM came at GZ from the front, and if the gun was pulled he certainly wouldn't have. But I agree with the rest of your point. Should GZ have been carrying a gun on a watch? Doubtful but it was within his right.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Well the forensics guy says TM was on top when shot.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM

34 posts, read 54,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So it's evolutionary??
I think you know what I'm getting at.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

Are you people out of your mind??? Zimmerman was a stranger dude following TM. Anyone in that situation would have felt threatened. I still don't believe TM just randomly attacked this guy. That makes no sense.

Zimmerman strikes me as one of those type of people who overstep their boundaries and attempt to take the law into their own hands. Instead of playing his part as a neighborhood watchman; he tried to act like a cop.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 07-26-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 11:47 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
"Stand your ground" OK now that it's a Black shooter?

Probably
There was already a case before Trayvon Martin in Greece, NY where a black man walked after killing a white teen he thought was stealing from some parked cars.

Black man shoots unarmed white boy (twice) and gets away using self defense having NO INJURIES . - Page 1

snopes.com: Roderick Scott

This happened in 2009 and Roderick Scott, like Zimmerman was acquitted of manslaughter. The difference is that he was immediately arrested and charged and Zimmerman was not arrested until the outcry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston