Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Yes. Here is an anecdote. Last spring, before the STAAR test, the gifted and talented dept in FBISD introduced this gifted and talented elementary showcase where GT elem kids could do a science or other project and then present to the community. It was held in May and well attended. However, at our exemplary school, no one did anything for it and no teacher ever mentioned it. My GT 3rd grader was busy with 18 math worksheets of homework at night (no joke) and we were were pulling our hair out simply trying to finish, have dinner, and get to bed. And my son and I love math. There was no time for any project of any kind, let alone time to do anything else. Of course, my son scored commended on both STAAR tests he took, but he would have rather done a project, and I think the project would have been more beneficial than a standardized test.
I think this is CRAZY! I am a teacher and I think this is horrible! I didn't know any teachers would do this anymore. Homework should not be this tedious and long. I now take back my complaint about the homework my child does. It is more project based, long term, and graded with a rubric. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
Every day I'm more glad I didn't put my kids in FBISD.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 PM

175 posts, read 370,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
. My GT 3rd grader was busy with 18 math worksheets of homework at night (no joke)
Some teachers forget that it's about quality not quantity.
I personally (as a former teacher) think that in general public schools are a huge lottery. Winning is difficult, but possible. It all depends not only on the school, but a specific teacher as well. You can get into GT or Vanguard and get a bad teacher and you are screwed. It's a lot easier with private, I think.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:01 PM

You can get a bad teacher anywhere. If you get a bad teacher in a small private school, there is no other classes to transfer to. One of the worst teachers I have ever seen went to a good private secular school in Houston. The district I worked in told her that she would be fired if she didn't resign. (This is crazy hard to do.) They gave her a recommendation so she would resign. I feel so bad for her students....

Old 09-14-2013, 10:15 PM

125 posts, read 312,348 times
Be careful and look hard before assuming Sugar Land / FBISD schools are worth it. There are some good ones but they are increasingly harder to find. The anecdote told about the Elementary GT program matches a lot of what I have seen.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM

155 posts, read 267,749 times
How reliable are the schooldigger rating system ?
Commonwealth Elementary Rank / Texas State Elementary Schools - TX School Rankings
Sugarland and Katy schools rank very high in there?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 AM

They are fairly accurate. They don't take into account separate programs like magnets. Sugar land and Katy are ranked highly, but it is still specific schools. No district has all excellent campuses. No school will be perfect for every child, but generally if they are rated highly and your child is average or above average they will do great.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 AM

914 posts, read 1,833,682 times
HISD has now announced that it will introduce an online magnet application option for parents. Finally! Magnet applications for the 2014-2015 school year will be accepted from Nov.4 to Dec. 20 for guaranteed consideration in the first round of applicants.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,030 times
Hello, I'm in Sugar Land, not entirely happy with the quality of education my older one (in 2nd grade) is getting. Heard about HISD vanguard program and want to give it a shot with my second kid, who will start KG in 2015. We are even willing to move to HISD area. Is there a requirement that he need to be in a HISD school for applying into vanguard? Please help!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:28 AM

You can apply if you are out of district, but it's rare to actually get in a good vanguard program that way. He will have to qualify first by taking a test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston