Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
It has grown on me a little more in my time here. But this is where I came from:
That is a beautiful place. I come from the Colorado Springs area with constant view of rocky Mountain scenery and Pikes Peak. But notice that the area you posted isn't a "City" so natural beauty can be maintained easier.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 AM

58 posts, read 264,054 times
Remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...

I just moved from beautiful Colorado to beautiful Magnolia!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_trader View Post
It isn't ugly, just a little boring.
I agree Houston can be boring sometimes. But take Vegas for instance, it has so much prominence and recognition because of its touristy things there. I was in Vegas a year ago and was ready to leave after the 3rd day there. Outside of the strip, it gets boring too. And yes the strip does get boring after being there long enough. I'm not sure if I could really live there. At least Houston has more to offer to the people who live here.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:56 AM

197 posts, read 261,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I agree Houston can be boring sometimes. But take Vegas for instance, it has so much prominence and recognition because of its touristy things there. I was in Vegas a year ago and was ready to leave after the 3rd day there. Outside of the strip, it gets boring too. And yes the strip does get boring after being there long enough. I'm not sure if I could really live there. At least Houston has more to offer to the people who live here.
Yeah, I agree. Houston is not touristy, which is probably one of the things that makes it "ugly," but I don't even think Houston is tryin' to go there, at least not yet--definitely a place of residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
i might agree. then again what do we have to offer to visitors and residents in order not to be rated as just a plain US city.
about couple million people? lots of other positive things. talkin' bout "i might agree.." pshh.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I think Houston is still becoming whatever type of city it's going to be. In time its image will emerge, and if you pay attention, you will see it's already happening.
I really hope this emerging character you speak of has nothing to do with that blues music crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houguy1087 View Post
about couple million people? lots of other positive things. talkin' bout "i might agree.." pshh.
what? big. plain. US. city. that ok with you?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I really hope this emerging character you speak of has nothing to do with that blues music crap.

what? big. plain. US. city. that ok with you?
If you're talking about the diversity that very few other cities can match then yes, sweetie.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,853 times
well I think that was a very nice area,were in houston is that?I am planning to move to houston next year,but still not so sure because of the negative things I've heard about it,am from philadelphia,been here for like 2 yrs,I did'nt like the attitude of most of the people here,very disrespectful,streets are dirty,high cost of living,public schools not good.Am wondering if Houston might be different fromhere?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel1029 View Post
well I think that was a very nice area,were in houston is that?I am planning to move to houston next year,but still not so sure because of the negative things I've heard about it,am from philadelphia,been here for like 2 yrs,I did'nt like the attitude of most of the people here,very disrespectful,streets are dirty,high cost of living,public schools not good.Am wondering if Houston might be different fromhere?

Let's see... people here are mostly respectful but then again I'm a native. If you're shopping at those gigantic Specs liquor stores on Friday night, understandably there are always a few pissed off people in there trying to feed a drug habit. The streets are fairly clean overall--cleaner in affluent areas but there are dirty spots. Freeways get debris like ladders, tires and mattresses, but nowhere near as dirty as LA when I visited. Dead dogs can stay in pullover lanes until they rot to dust. The cost of living is likely on par with the national average. Moreso inside the loop if you want to live in a nice place. Public schools in HISD can be very questionable except for the ones in the few, pricier areas. The ones in the suburbs are mostly decent to excellent, which is a lure for families. Housing averages maybe $75 sq ft in the outskirts but the property tax is high (~2.9-3.3%). Gotta pay for the good schools, you know. Insurance can be $400-500/mo by the coast/bay. Hope that helped a little...

Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Let's see... people here are mostly respectful but then again I'm a native. If you're shopping at those gigantic Specs liquor stores on Friday night, understandably there are always a few pissed off people in there trying to feed a drug habit. The streets are fairly clean overall--cleaner in affluent areas but there are dirty spots. Freeways get debris like ladders, tires and mattresses, but nowhere near as dirty as LA when I visited. Dead dogs can stay in pullover lanes until they rot to dust. The cost of living is likely on par with the national average. Moreso inside the loop if you want to live in a nice place. Public schools in HISD can be very questionable except for the ones in the few, pricier areas. The ones in the suburbs are mostly decent to excellent, which is a lure for families. Housing averages maybe $75 sq ft in the outskirts but the property tax is high (~2.9-3.3%). Gotta pay for the good schools, you know. Insurance can be $400-500/mo by the coast/bay. Hope that helped a little...
Thank you Tstone. Thanks for a pro-con post.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,851 times
Quote:
Dead dogs can stay in pullover lanes until they rot to dust.
One of my top complaints about living in Houston... I'd like to see road kill cleaned a little quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston