Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times

Advertisements

Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
If you live in the right neighborhood that fits your taste, you'll probably like it here. But rural and suburban Texans in general are more tuned into Fox News and less understanding about complex political views. So, you saying that you're a Republican might be misunderstood for being part of the radical right-wing Tea Party where Senator Ted Cruz sits. I would just go no further than labeling myself as a Moderate or you can even kid yourself as a Republican for Obama.
Personally, I avoid talking politics with anyone. I am currently in one of the biggest liberal strongholds in the country so my opinions aren't in line with most of my friends and coworkers so I am used to just keeping my opinions to myself anyway. I really don't believe in "politics" I just like to be left alone to live my life the way I want so long as I'm not harming anyone else

Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Politically, you will fit in perfectly. Houston is split down the middle between Republicans and Democrats, and if anything, is a libertarian enclave. Guns will be welcomed. Appearance-wise (all those tattoos and such), you will not be comfortable unless you move inside the loop. If you have lots of tattoos, look to settle into Montrose. My biggest concern for you would be your love of the outdoors. Houston is a huge urban sprawl - essentially a smaller version of your current home of LA. This means you will need to traverse quite a distance to reach "the outdoors." To top it off, that outdoors is a flat, nondescript coastal plain filled with pine trees to the north and scrub to the south - ugly to me, but no doubt some local boosters will pipe in and claim it's God's country. I'm not native so see it with a different set of eyes. Then there's the unpleasant weather - it's humid all year and hot to boot half of the year. If that doesn't bother you, you'll be fine.
You don't have to live inside the loop to be comfortable with tattoos. Tattoos are a dime a dozen - I see them all over the place - inside and outside the loop.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:55 PM

261 posts, read 418,355 times
It's all according to you and your attitude. If you move to Houston with the attitude that everything is better in LA and NOVA, you're probably not going to like living in Houston very much and that will make you unhappy.

If you move to Houston with the attitude you're going to like the town, meet new friends and have a good time, you'll probably like Houston a lot.

Houston doesn't seem like it gets the respect from around the country that it deserves, it's misunderstood and is often criticized as being a bad place. In reality, Houston is one of the most exciting and vibrant towns in the United States and it's a fun place to live work and play.

If I ever leave Austin, I'd move to Houston in a heartbeat.

Something in the vibe in Houston I've never felt anywhere else. I start feeling it when I get around the town of Sealy, west of Houston on Interstate 10. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's exciting and I feel like something is really going on that I want to be a part of.

It's all according to you if you like Houston or not. There's a lot to like about Houston, and I'm sure there's a lot not to like. It's all according to what you focus on, the good or the bad.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:11 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
That sounds like dinner to me
Based on the fact that you are a meat eater with an obvious sense of humor, I think you would like it in any major Texas city. Houston proper is diverse as it gets in Texas, be it politically, racially, socioeconomically. One thing to remember, though in Texas: The word Republican doesn't just apply to fiscal issues, it applies to social issues as well. The farther you get from Houston proper, the more "Republican" it gets. I used to live in MA myself, but it doesn't sound like you will hate it here.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 PM

370 posts, read 613,028 times
You should consider the Houston Heights, theres a place called Fitzgeralds, they have a lot of people your style there. if your into that "kat von dutch" style, you will get a taste of that. Houston has a lot of Live music going every night all over town. Some places have a metal scene, but you have to look for it

Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 AM

388 posts, read 686,966 times
No real public transport (Boston/NE), no pretty beaches nearby (LA/NE/FL), no 4 seasons (VA/NE), very little walkability (Boston)...

If those things are important to you, then yes...you will be miserable. Depending on where you chose to live, you would have bicycle options but there is not really anywhere to "hike", but plenty of places to walk...like parks. But they aren't as pretty and popular as parks in Boston or other parts of the country.

If you loved downtown, Montrose, Heights, Midtown...areas like that...you might have fun at first. But long term you will see it's not at all like other cities.

I live in the suburbs, so that's why I'm still here. Lol

Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
It's a little frustrating to me that people think that if you have tattoos or listen to a certain kind of music, then you wouldn't like the suburbs. I mean, there are people of all walks and all types who like all different areas. I really wish people weren't put into such small boxes.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 AM

388 posts, read 686,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Morris View Post
It's a little frustrating to me that people think that if you have tattoos or listen to a certain kind of music, then you wouldn't like the suburbs. I mean, there are people of all walks and all types who like all different areas. I really wish people weren't put into such small boxes.
Ummm??? What exactly are you referring to? No one said anything about tats , suburbs and music. What does that have to do with where you live? I don't assume jack about anyone. You never know what sits under clothing. Some of the kindest souls I know have tats... Covered in them. So I think you picked the wrong person to place blame on if this has happened to you. Personally it sounds like you've been picked on based on your looks and you are projecting.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
Hi Daisee1203, I'm not quite sure what made you think that I was directing my message at you? But, uh, thanks for your insights.

The OP mentioned his tats and his music.

What I was specifically referring to was a post made earlier which states "Appearance-wise (all those tattoos and such), you will not be comfortable unless you move inside the loop." And also to the general sentiment on this board and in other places that enforce the idea that if you are a certain way, you should live in a particular place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston