Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
Something in the vibe in Houston I've never felt anywhere else. I start feeling it when I get around the town of Sealy, west of Houston on Interstate 10. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's exciting and I feel like something is really going on that I want to be a part of.
It's called traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I am pretty conservative politically and my beliefs lean toward Republican but more Libertarian than anything (miss having my concealed carry permit as I did when I was in VA). But socially I am a little more liberal (I have lots of tattoos and still listen to a lot of heavy metal in my late 30s).
Yeah, generally speaking you're going to fit right in because most people in Houston don't really want to get on a political high horse and start taking shots at people they don't agree, especially when they first meet you. I've found that most people only start talking politics once they get to know you and you both like engaging in such conversation.

But then you have the others who seem to want to go out of their way to immediately throw out their opinions and insults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
If you live in the right neighborhood that fits your taste, you'll probably like it here. But rural and suburban Texans in general are more tuned into Fox News and less understanding about complex political views. So, you saying that you're a Republican might be misunderstood for being part of the radical right-wing Tea Party where Senator Ted Cruz sits. I would just go no further than labeling myself as a Moderate or you can even kid yourself as a Republican for Obama.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:59 AM

116 posts, read 196,324 times
People don't move to Houston for it's natural beauty. People move to Houston for the opportunities. It's a very vibrant, exciting and diverse place to live. Only YOU can decide which is more important to you.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:05 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
It's called traffic.
My exact thought!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 AM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
But then you have the others who seem to want to go out of their way to immediately throw out their opinions and insults.
That's not true. I am merely letting the facts be known that the local vote explains itself: Tea Party Senator Ted Cruz was elected to the U.S. Senate. This perplexed many people outside of Texas, especially after he helped shut down the government last year. The last I recall, Ted only had a 52% approval from Republicans around the country. The poster may find that being a Republican in Texas is quite different than in the highly educated State of Massachusetts.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:29 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
That's not true. I am merely letting the facts be known that the local vote explains itself: Tea Party Senator Ted Cruz was elected to the U.S. Senate. This perplexed many people outside of Texas, especially after he helped shut down the government last year. The last I recall, Ted only had a 52% approval from Republicans around the country. The poster may find that being a Republican in Texas is quite different than in the highly educated State of Massachusetts.
Thank you for illustrating my point.

Don't worry Ryan, this is just one of the outliers you'll run into from time to time. With as many views as this thread has seen, you can tell that such instances are fairly remote.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
Republican in Houston does not always equal republican in other parts of (rural) Texas. Some Houston republicans might even be highly educated. Shocking, isn't it?

Back to the OP, you will be fine in Houston. Welcome.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 AM

384 posts, read 596,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Considering a relocation for work. I have been in Los Angeles for about 8 years, I lived in Northern Virginia 1 year and I grew up and spent 28 years in Boston. My mother lives in Tampa so I spend a decent amount of time there. I have spent a few months in Austin for work and visiting friends but that's my only experience with Texas and I know Austin is a separate planet then the rest of Texas. I am pretty conservative politically and my beliefs lean toward Republican but more Libertarian than anything (miss having my concealed carry permit as I did when I was in VA). But socially I am a little more liberal (I have lots of tattoos and still listen to a lot of heavy metal in my late 30s). I am very active and me and my wife really enjoy the outdoors (biking, hiking, camping).

So, would I be completely hating my life if I moved there?
You would hate your life in Houston if you already hate your life.

Other than that, it is pretty hard not to be able to find your rhythm in a city that big.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:51 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Appearance-wise (all those tattoos and such), you will not be comfortable unless you move inside the loop. If you have lots of tattoos, look to settle into Montrose.
Nonsense. OTL has loads of tatted-up metal heads; lifted pickup trucks and all. In fact, these types will likely be much more common in the exurb/semi-rural areas of Houston than in the loop.

I know you say you lived here for years, but man do you constantly make me question your knowledge of the area.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:00 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Morris View Post

What I was specifically referring to was a post made earlier which states "Appearance-wise (all those tattoos and such), you will not be comfortable unless you move inside the loop." And also to the general sentiment on this board and in other places that enforce the idea that if you are a certain way, you should live in a particular place.
Yeah, never mind him. He's one of the ex-Houstonians who visit this forum for no other reason than to remind us of how terrible our city is; a hub of subhuman pleasures and that any ounce of enjoyment we get from living here comes from us simply not knowing any better.

Anyone who's truly familiar with the Houston area knows very well that there are tattooed people of all races in virtually every neighborhood of the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston