Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsiChik View Post
I'm guessing you are asking me...
I'd type it here but I'd probably be judged for that too. And apparently I've already maxed out my direct messaging since they only allow one
Yes I was asking you. When people refer to the OP that means original poster

That is strange I don't think there is a limit to Direct Messaging

Old 02-22-2014, 09:13 PM

21 posts, read 23,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Yes I was asking you. When people refer to the OP that means original poster

That is strange I don't think there is a limit to Direct Messaging
Ah... OP. That's a new one on me and I am no forum newb. Anyways I tried to reply to your dm and it says there is a restriction on it until tomorrow at 9pm I'm guessing it's because I created this account just before my original post. I'm not even a day old LOL

Oh well, I guess I will just type it here. I suppose if I have to I could break in the "ignore list".

Tomorrow I turn 40

Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times
Quote:
Ah... OP. That's a new one on me and I am no forum newb. Anyways I tried to reply to your dm and it says there is a restriction on it until tomorrow at 9pm I'm guessing it's because I created this account just before my original post. I'm not even a day old LOL

Oh well, I guess I will just type it here. I suppose if I have to I could break in the "ignore list".

Tomorrow I turn 40
That is odd about the restriction on DM. That's a new one for me.

Wow 40 tomorrow! I wish you an early Happy Birthday!

I see you have some acceleration work to do in order to earn that degree.

Like I said Houston is the right city to be in if you have nothing and are trying to make something of your life. As long as you have drive and motivation and are willing to work hard as well as possess wisdom and common sense...you can't go wrong in Houston. Make smart choices and keep your head screwed on straight and you will make it.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,994,476 times
Quote:

Tomorrow I turn 40
I'm really really confused now. You're basically homeless and from the OP you sound it but if this is true you're almost 40??????????????

I figured you were some 20 year old with no direction floating around confused. But now? I know the economy hasn't been stellar in the past years but the way you're describing your situation it makes no sense. I mean what exactly have you done in the past 22 years to not have ANY kind of schooling/background and now want to be an architecture?

What man are you running from where you only have $350 for rent? Or what kind of Februrary April Fool's Day joke are you playing at. What Houston CD banned poster are you playing jokes?

And architecture? Shouldn't you be trying to get into some quickie 18 month program to makes some money? Architecture is always on the top of lists for worst job outlook. But again when I saw that I assumed you were some clueless 20 something.

Almost 40 doesn't gel at all. And I see I'm not the only poster who assumed really young.

You don't sound legit at all.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
OP - I am going to go on the premise that you are real. The first thing you need to do is get shelter, and you only have a little money. Go to an area where the motels aren't all that great and rent by the week (making sure they accept pets). Get cleaned up and job hunt. Trying to look for a job covered in pet hair and looking like it's been awhile since you bathed isn't going to net you a job anywhere. Get a little money saved up and rent an apartment. Right now, the last thing you need to be thinking about is college. You don't have a roof over your head or any money. Where is your tuition coming from? Dejablue is right - when you can, do something that is going to give you more immediate job skills. Even if architecture was a more solid field - who is going to hire one fresh out of college, with just a few years before retirement age? Most likely, no one - so you just wasted your time and money, when you had neither to waste.

Other posters are not being harsh. They are just having a hard time trying to figure out why someone would show up with no money, no job, not know anyone here, and bring pets (as a liability bonus). In addition, the media has put it out there that our streets are paved with gold and anyone can get a high-paying job with no skills. We continuously get posters saying they are moving here and they need to know where the really good jobs are and the cheap housing (but safe, and with really good schools). Houston is in a pretty good economic state, but it's not Camelot.

I don't know what led you into your current situation. I wish you luck in climbing out. Houston is a good place to do it- better than most - but you need to get a realistic plan. Right now, it seems like you are not thinking clearly. 40 is past the point to be in a spot with no money, no home or serious job skills. Tomorrow is your birthday - it's a good time to reflect about what you are going to do with the rest of your life. You can turn it around - but you need to get serious. Drifting around hasn't worked out all that well.

When you are saving for that apartment - don't forget that you will need additional money for pet deposits. Good luck.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 02-23-2014 at 12:18 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 02:47 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,756 times
Please find suitable accommodations for your pets soon. It will be turning hot in Houston in the next few months and you CANNOT leave your dog and cat inside your truck.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:33 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,726 times
It was even a bit warm for that a couple of days this past week!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 AM

122 posts, read 223,140 times
I recommend going to California. There's a lot more tolerance for people in your situation over there. I remember having an older classmate in college who lived in his van for years. Over there is very easy and common to become homeless in a couple of moths. And the weather is nice too.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:26 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
I'd like to know how many of these sick individuals have sent her a DM offering her a place to lay up lmao

Old 02-23-2014, 10:39 AM

21 posts, read 23,402 times
I am only going to say this once.

If houstonians are this judgemental and assume without asking the right questions, then no wonder houston has crappy roads, overpriced shacks and dirty streets. Houstonians apparently only care about themselves; selfish, pretentious, avarice and rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston