Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 AM

21 posts, read 23,402 times

Advertisements

So I just came to Houston yesterday. Looking for a cheap place to live. I'm not picky however, I am a single female so, relatively safe. I do have a dog that is protective but only weighs 35 pounds, she will bite someone if she feels I am threatened.... but so will I! Her bark sounds like she is a vicious 135 pounds instead of 35.
I can't afford much and I am currently unemployed, but it's difficult to look for work while sleeping in my truck (with a dog and a cat). My budget is about $0-$350 per month. I'm fine with not so nice as I am willing to clean, paint do a bit of work if I need too. I don't need much space; even a studio would work for me. I have a truck but prefer to cycle everywhere (and I may not have the truck for long).

I've looked on CL but most of the postings there are fake. Bought a Chronicle..... $2.50? Really? There are no classifieds... WTF! and tons of adverts...... What a joke.
So to find rentals do I drive around and look for "for rent" signs? There has to be a good classifieds listing somewhere.

Please don't suggest Apartment Guide or For rent.com, these are for the "showcase" places. I'd rather rent a storage unit to live in if I could get away with it.

As for work, I'm going to need cash ASAP and have server experience but I prefer quaint-but-not-upscale breakfast/lunch (mom n pop not corporate) places. If you know of any places around town that fits the bill.....
Also, I do plan on returning to school to finish my degree in Architecture, I've found that typically, most university areas in cities tend to be expensive and noisy.... I don't know if that's true here.

Also wondering what month the heat usually starts (I mean above 80F)?

So as I posted in the heading... should I stay in Houston or keep moving on somewhere else? No small towns, I'm looking for job opportunities and things to do besides watching the trees grow.

any info would be appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by GipsiChik; 02-22-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 AM

785 posts, read 1,235,305 times
Try this website for looking for apartments. Should be better than the others if you're looking for non-showcase stuff:

Every Last Apartment in Houston - a map of Houston Apartments

As for the heat, it usually starts near the middle of May.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:39 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,505,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Try this website for looking for apartments. Should be better than the others if you're looking for non-showcase stuff:

Every Last Apartment in Houston - a map of Houston Apartments

As for the heat, it usually starts near the middle of May.
If she's talking about temps over 80f that's going to start in a couple of weeks. Temps will be over 80 every day in April.

As far as apartments for $350 mnth , maybe you can get a room for that, but I don't know about the pets...

Last edited by Jack Lance; 02-22-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,177,372 times
Go, to answer your question. Based upon the terms you've dictated, you can't live in Houston. Never moved to a city like Houston without a job.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
I'd keep moving. You seem to be picky for someone claiming to 'need money'. Maybe the trust fund checks don't get deposited till the first.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:33 PM

21 posts, read 23,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I'd keep moving. You seem to be picky for someone claiming to 'need money'. Maybe the trust fund checks don't get deposited till the first.
Picky? Really? But what do I know, perhaps you think a 100 square foot shack with a hole in the ground for a toilet is considered a mansion by your standards.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM

370 posts, read 613,187 times
Where are you from originally? any family here in Texas? Use Couchsurfer for places to stay temporarily. How reliable is your truck? There are many restaurants looking for delivery drivers, usually some of these restaurants will feed you for free too, so you won't be looking at major food costs atm. Let me know what area of town you will be staying in and I'll try and send you a list of few restaurants hiring wait staff.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
And you seem harsh. I don't see $350 a month in rent as picky at all. She sleeps in a frickin truck for Pete's sake.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:31 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Choices for employer, only mom/pop places? How do you afford internet? Many restaurants are hiring, car washes, when you are hungry enough you can apply. Just driving from city to city won't help.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Choices for employer, only mom/pop places? How do you afford internet? Many restaurants are hiring, car washes, when you are hungry enough you can apply. Just driving from city to city won't help.
She prefers mom and pop places. Don't you prefer certain employers? Internet is free at most apartment complex lobbies and I used to sit outside of Barnes and Nobles for hours soaking up the web in my car.

Get off your high horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston