Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM

41 posts, read 104,453 times

Advertisements

Husband is considering a job relocation to Galveston. We have a 2 year old. I know Galveston isn't the best place for families, but I'm sure there are pockets of safe areas. Does anyone know of specific areas we should consider, or steer clear of? We would like to rent a single family home, but will consider other options. Rent needs to stay under $1500. Hoping to find something between $1000-1300 if at all possible.

He will be working at the east end of Galveston. I think we prefer living on the island, but we can also consider living within a 30 minute commute. Any advice on League City or other family-oriented communities is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,709,122 times
Galveston is a dump. Don't live on the island. Live in Clear Lake or Friendswood. The commute is not that bad. There is a road on the north side of the island that makes it quick to get to the east side of the island. I once dated a girl that went to UTMB. I could make it from Houston to UTMB in under an hour without traffic.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:16 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,422,725 times
How long will you live there? If it's only for a few years or you can afford private school, I say go for it. There are some great homes there.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,928,135 times
Schumacher, really? To say that the entire island of Galveston is a dump is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? Galveston has historic charm, something Houston generally misses.

Of course there are families on the island. Ask coworkers and realtors where the family-friendly neighborhoods are. I think it would be a fun experience for a few years.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,540,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GidgetGoesNutso View Post
Husband is considering a job relocation to Galveston. We have a 2 year old. I know Galveston isn't the best place for families, but I'm sure there are pockets of safe areas. Does anyone know of specific areas we should consider, or steer clear of? We would like to rent a single family home, but will consider other options. Rent needs to stay under $1500. Hoping to find something between $1000-1300 i

He will be working at the east end of Galveston. I think we prefer living on the island, but we can also consider living within a 30 minute commute. Any advice on League City or other family-oriented communities is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input.
This article just happened to be in todays Chronicle.

"Stolz expects demand for the units in his building to come from current Galveston residents who perhaps work at the area's medical school or in the shipping industry, as well as others looking for second homes.

The building has garage parking, a fitness center and rooftop deck. The Marketing Directors firm is handling sales.
One- and two-bedroom units range from 900 square feet to nearly 1,900 square feet. Prices start in the low $200,000s.
The building is the company's first project in this area. A second conversion in Montrose is in the works."

Lofts offer chance to own a piece of Galveston history - Houston Chronicle

The article also states that the Galveston market is having a rebound.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 PM

Like I said, I know it's not the BEST place to raise kids, but I doubt we'll be there more than 2-5 years. I'm fairly new to TX, only living in the Pineywoods area for just under 2 years. My husband grew up in Central TX and lived a few years in South TX. I have lived in many different places in Southern CA. I appreciate master-planned communities, but find them stifling, homogenous & uptight. Not sure if this fits Clear Lake City, but once I see "master-planned community" as a description (Wikipedia), I cringe. Looking back, I enjoyed living in places that have some diversity. I've only been to Galveston once. I think it was Jan/Feb. Probably the only time of year there are no bugs, right? I liked the crazy mix of people & the funky beach/resort town vibe. We drove all around the island anticipating a future move for a job @ UTMB. Sure, we saw the underbelly of town, but that's nothing to what I've seen in downtown Los Angeles. The place does have character & characters, which I like. It made me feel a bit at home with the beaches & funk. It's no Laguna Beach or Malibu, but charming to me in different way. I think we'll make a go of it. I just want to try finding a home in quiet, safe area. Interview & site visit in a couple days. Hoping someone can give me pointers on specific areas to look at and/or stay out of.

My husband really hates commuting & has an old gas guzzling truck. After speaking to him, he'll commute if he has to, but like me, prefers to live on the island. I looked at rentals online for the League City area, but there just doesn't seem to be much in the way of rentals. And after thinking about it some more, if we're going down there, we might as well go full bore & live on the island for the sheer adventure of it.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:30 PM

Thanks Jack Lance. In my research I came across some lofts by UTMB. They were a bit pricey, but very cool, with moveable walls on wheels. Wonder if they are the same as the article? Couldn't read the whole article unless I become a subscriber.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:33 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,928,135 times
(Gidget, if you google the article title you can usually see the entire article.)

Old 06-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Is Craigslist the best source for finding rentals?

Old 06-18-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanks fnh! Can't aways think straight when I'm stressed. Sigh... Guess I need all the help I can get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston