Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:29 PM

18,152 posts, read 25,371,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScare View Post
This is due to the "reverse white flight" that we've been discussing. The Heights is the only Census tract to increase white population and decrease hispanic population in the 2010 census. The elementary schools are bursting at the seams. Housing prices have eclipsed $300 psf, yet people bid up the asking price. When I moved here in 2004, no house on my block was worth over $600,000. Now, there are no fewer than 7 homes appraised or sold for over $1 million.

That's what reverse white flight does to your neighborhood. My property taxes have more than doubled.
Ok.... so white people automatically have a lot of money and minorities automatically don't have much money?
that's what I get from the "white flight" debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,925,183 times
What is happening is the exact same cycle that's been happening in every place for all races for all of human history. Except now in modern-day Houston no one is being killed to take over their property and the government is at least trying to mitigate the impact of rising property values on vulnerable populations.

I always slap my head too when I read posts on these forums by speculative idiots pumping their own RIGHT NOW HOT AREA but... DOH! The tax man cometh so please advise how I can pretend my property isn't worth what I myself actually paid for it and anyway isn't it illegal for him to know since TX is a non-disclosure state thanks to the realtor lobby?

Rising property values anywhere are a benefit ONLY if you plan to sell your current property in the foreseeable future. Otherwise they mean only one thing - rising property taxes. But NO ONE comes on these forums asking for nice, stable neighborhoods that AREN'T the next hot thing, lol.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,689,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
HCAD allows the elderly to defer property tax payments so nobody is getting forced out of their houses.
So, HCAD would consider someone who is 55 and has been in their home for 30 years to be elderly?

How do they defined elderly?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,689,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Also, in these discussions people always point to residents displaced by rising taxes (fewer than we might think) without regard to the very same residents cashing in on the windfall of their rising property values through absolutely no productivity on their part.
Why do people pay a ton of money to move to these areas for typically smaller homes with smaller lots? Why don't these people in the higher socioeconomic groups buy in the burbs and save a bunch of money?

Why? Because not everyone necessarily wants to live in the burbs or be forced to move.

If you grew up in the Heights and have a job not too far away and like the area, you might not want to "cash in" and be forced to move to a completely different area of town. You might not only enjoy your little bungalow close to the park, but you might not want to part with the memories of where your kids grew up or where you had so many wonderful times with your spouse before they died.

I could sell my home and rent an apartment and have a big old cash windfall. I don't want to do that.

Not everyone is driven by money.

And in regards to "no productivity on their part", if you owned a house in the heights for 25 years and have not sold it, what "windfall" is received? NONE! There is no "windfall" until you sell. If we were to ditch property tax in exchange for a consumption tax and other fees, I'd have no problem if they added a tax on the "windfall" when the property is sold, minus inflation of course.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:58 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,320,527 times
what about Hispanic flight cause i see more Hispanics in the wards and heights not those lofts but houses.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,827,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
what about Hispanic flight cause i see more Hispanics in the wards and heights not those lofts but houses.
I can't really speak on that, but I am noticing a lot more Hispanic families moving out to SW, W, NW, and N suburbs than there were even just 10-15 years ago; more power to them if they've got the disposable income and have a better opportunity for their family out here than inside town.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:57 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,064,456 times
More disposable income would mean moving inside the city where its nowmore expensive than the suburbs

Old 07-03-2014, 04:58 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,003,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
I can't really speak on that, but I am noticing a lot more Hispanic families moving out to SW, W, NW, and N suburbs than there were even just 10-15 years ago; more power to them if they've got the disposable income and have a better opportunity for their family out here than inside town.
Here in NW Houston it's not sterotype but just common, very common to have at least 2 families in a 4 bedroom house. I'd imagine that's common in the suburbs. Not saying all but when you see non driving age kids but at least 4 cars it's a pretty good guess that's at least 2 families it 2 kids each.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,094,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I think the stats is misleading because the city is growing, doesn't mean the white flight is going away. Let me know when you start seeing strollers everywhere inside the loop and then maybe i am convince white flight is not happening. Because as it stand now, it is the childless professionals moving into Houston and living inside the loop, the minute a child come into picture, "white flight" is happening.
If you go to the right neighborhoods you can see strollers everywhere. In fact it's been this way for awhile in Bellaire/West U/Southside Place.

What I must point out is: The outerlying Houston neighborhoods have seen white flight while the inner city is getting whiter

Old 07-04-2014, 09:06 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,992,716 times
Bellaire/West U/Southside is the exception. Those neighborhood have always been kids friendly and the good schools is a big difference. Plus the fact they always been a family neighborhood for many many years already.

I dont think you see too many strollers in the heights or midtown, etc.

But i do agree with you inner city is getting whiter. Minorities are not moving into the loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: