Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 AM

34 posts, read 42,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
And until gentrification becomes something other than the sterilization of our nation's most culturally rich neighborhoods, I will continue to consider its slow progress a good thing. We need all the time we can to convince African Americans to invest and move back into their own communities instead of just fleeing out to the suburbs. I'd be heart broken to see the soul and spirit of the Third Ward fade away.
Saw some beautiful homes there which are being treated like ****. Definitely heart breaking! I made a comment to my gf the other day, "Do people living in this area realize how great this location is & how amazing these homes really are?" I doubt it...

Nowadays newly built homes are built like crap! Unless you are planning to spend north of $500k+.
We bought a home in Pearland (Shadowcreek Ranch) last year and we are fixing to get out of there because the way these new homes are built these days. We'll barely break even (after net of fees)....hopefully!

With that being said, any thoughts/opinions on Tanglewilde/Briarmeadow area? Definitely closer to City Centre, the galleria, Beltway 8, and 610. A little skeptical about what goes on Westheimer & Richmond, however the homes there looks/feels nice and calm.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
You asked about other areas to look at. Across I-45 from the UH central campus is Zip 77023, which includes Historic Eastwood, Broadmoor, Country Club Place, Idylwood, etc. Some places are still a bit rough around the edges, but all of these neighborhoods are rapidly appreciating in value. I know several couples who liked the area, moved there and are now beginning construction on custom homes.
Nice area but extremely far from the Galleria (where I work). I could only imagine how the traffic would be at 7 in the morning...

Old 09-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barackbff View Post
I have a friend who's lived in 3rd Ward for many years. Last summer she bought a house on Rosedale for about 260k. It's a nice, big remodel. She found it in the 11th hour. If she hadn't found it, she would've had to build. She says her house has appreciated to the point where she wouldn't be able to afford it now.

Even though I work nearby, I don't find the area appealing due to lack of amenities and aesthetics. I sure do love it for location though.
Definitely saw some beautiful homes on Rosedale, Wichita St, Rosewood, Arbor, and Ozark St. Does your friend still live in the area? How's her neighborhood like?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
You asked about other areas to look at. Across I-45 from the UH central campus is Zip 77023, which includes Historic Eastwood, Broadmoor, Country Club Place, Idylwood, etc. Some places are still a bit rough around the edges, but all of these neighborhoods are rapidly appreciating in value. I know several couples who liked the area, moved there and are now beginning construction on custom homes.
Eastwood & Idylwood has some great homes but it'll be a drive to work (we work near the galleria area).

Broadmoor is near Bellaire and the Belt, isn't it? I remember that area used to be CRAP. Has it changed drastically in the past 6 years or what?

And where exactly is this "Country Club Place" you are talking about?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
3rd Ward has a long way to go. What about Magnolia Park or outside of Idylwood? I was kind of forced to live in Idylwood and I have found myself loving this side of town. And the Harrisburg line is going to make the neighborhood change quickly.

My ex (Mexican-American) is likely going to invest there as she is convinced this is where the college educated Mexican-American 20 somethings will wind up, and then everyone else will follow. With no traffic, it takes me 7 minutes to get to downtown, 10 to the Med Center and about 15 to get to The Galleria. It's a hell of a location.
I guess I'll check the Harrisburg & Idylwood area. I'm just really concerned about the traffic flow since it's right off 45...

My gf wants to look at homes near Lawndale...which I'm guessing is right next to Idylwood, is that right? But the drive is my huge concern...plus there's not really much you can do there, can you?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Cleburne, I'd say no. The houses are very beautiful but the area is not that great. Rosedale is very nice though. My boss lives there and I go to her house frequently for events she hosts. Every time I go, I think what a nice street it is.

You might giving me the intersection on Rosedale? I'm looking at some homes on Rosedale and definitely would like to drive by the area you are referring to. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsin88 View Post
Saw some beautiful homes there which are being treated like ****. Definitely heart breaking! I made a comment to my gf the other day, "Do people living in this area realize how great this location is & how amazing these homes really are?" I doubt it...

Nowadays newly built homes are built like crap! Unless you are planning to spend north of $500k+.
We bought a home in Pearland (Shadowcreek Ranch) last year and we are fixing to get out of there because the way these new homes are built these days. We'll barely break even (after net of fees)....hopefully!

With that being said, any thoughts/opinions on Tanglewilde/Briarmeadow area? Definitely closer to City Centre, the galleria, Beltway 8, and 610. A little skeptical about what goes on Westheimer & Richmond, however the homes there looks/feels nice and calm.

Any thoughts?
Briarmeadow is a great pocket neighborhood with lots of DINKs and families mixed with the original owners. It has it's own charter school that many from the neighborhood use. It is surrounded by sketchiness, but I think they still have 24/7 patrols and crime is at a minimum.

Tanglewilde is a solid choice but not as good as Briarmeadow IMO. The homes are smaller and not quite as nice. I don't mean to steer you away, but if prefer BM. I don't know if they have patrols and I think the homeowners association is not as strong. It's still nice though and you get more bang for your buck in TW.

It boils down to which neighborhood has a house you prefer and how long you want to stay. If you want your kids in public school I would go with BM. The charter school is good and goes through middle school. I think both are zoned to Lee, which is not good. That's a long way away though.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:28 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Because the people that live in these communities have always been told that the suburbs are where their happiness lies. We don't bother trying to improve the neighborhoods we've been living in for generations, we'd just rather move to another neighborhood that has all of the happiness and creature comforts built into it.

The problem with most forms of gentrification is that they are nothing but suburban ideals and sensibilities regurgitated into a walkable setting: demolish an old house and build a shiny new McMansion; tear down that old barbershop and put a corny "cupcake cafe" in its place. It's toxic.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,772,200 times
I own a few homes in Eastwood and I often check in on things or visit my in-laws in the mornings for coffee. I then head to work on Post Oak, usually around 7am. There is some traffic but it moves fine. I take 45N to 59 south and exit 610 onto Westheimer. The exit from 59 to 610 is a little slow but really just a few minutes. In all honesty the trip is 15-20 minutes. No lie.
It is 59 inbound in the evening that I would worry about. Better option would be memorial drive to 45 south and exit

Quote:
Nice area but extremely far from the Galleria (where I work). I could only imagine how the traffic would be at 7 in the morning...

Old 09-16-2014, 11:32 AM

122 posts, read 159,638 times
Quote:
I guess I'll check the Harrisburg & Idylwood area. I'm just really concerned about the traffic flow since it's right off 45...

My gf wants to look at homes near Lawndale...which I'm guessing is right next to Idylwood, is that right? But the drive is my huge concern...plus there's not really much you can do there, can you?
Oh, you'd be surprised. Also, the bayou pathway along the golfcourse is becoming an absolute gem. I bike it all the time up Harrisburg all the way downtown.

The homes near Lawndale are beautiful and Idylwood is quiet. Even the crappy apartments by the school on the northbound Frontage between Wayside and Griggs have few issues, as do the ones on Wayside by the golfcourse. I walk around, bike around and never have been bothered and I'm white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston