Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM

34 posts, read 42,186 times

Advertisements

We are young with no children. Definitely need to live in an area which is a.) close to work b.) nice quiet neighborhood c.) easy access to restaurants (when I say easy access, I mean no 30 minute drive) d.) decent appreciation in upcoming years e.) no deed restrictions (Not mandatory).

I know the market is up at all time high and we might run into a correction, I just don't want us to end up buying a home and next thing you know the market is adjusted by -10-20% and now we are stuck with an upside/down mortgage for the next 7-10 years. Don't want to get stuck in a neighborhood with SLOW growth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:58 AM

34 posts, read 42,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
Oh, you'd be surprised. Also, the bayou pathway along the golfcourse is becoming an absolute gem. I bike it all the time up Harrisburg all the way downtown.

The homes near Lawndale are beautiful and Idylwood is quiet. Even the crappy apartments by the school on the northbound Frontage between Wayside and Griggs have few issues, as do the ones on Wayside by the golfcourse. I walk around, bike around and never have been bothered and I'm white.

I'll be getting a "I told you so" later on today after I mention to her that we can look at Lawndale area. She loves that area (I liked it too) but my only concern was the drive to work. I'll soon be working near Allen Parkway and 45 so I guess the drive won't be THAT bad. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:59 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
And until gentrification becomes something other than the sterilization of our nation's most culturally rich neighborhoods, I will continue to consider its slow progress a good thing. We need all the time we can to convince African Americans to invest and move back into their own communities instead of just fleeing out to the suburbs. I'd be heart broken to see the soul and spirit of the Third Ward fade away.
Agree with you on most. Until they build homes the original residents can afford (which won't happen) it will continue to evolve. I hate seeing the old history disappear. I think upscale African Americans seem to want to disassociate themselves with the uneducated and poor so they head away to blend into the suburban landscape. And at the same time I'd like history to stay, I also like seeing people stop becoming black, white, Hispanic and Asian first and then a person second. I like to see people just be people and the race ethnicity remain a part of their heritage. Yes dreamworld, I know. I'd love to see one of these tv shows go into some of the wards before they are all gone and instead of building some mega home for a resident who can't afford the taxes on that monster build and revitalize the shotgun shacks there to beautiful small homes and revitalize the area and bring new energy in. Keep he history but give it a shiny makeover that average people can afford as well.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:03 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Agree with you on most. Until they build homes the original residents can afford (which won't happen) it will continue to evolve. I hate seeing the old history disappear. I think upscale African Americans seem to want to disassociate themselves with the uneducated and poor so they head away to blend into the suburban landscape. And at the same time I'd like history to stay, I also like seeing people stop becoming black, white, Hispanic and Asian first and then a person second. I like to see people just be people and the race ethnicity remain a part of their heritage. Yes dreamworld, I know. I'd love to see one of these tv shows go into some of the wards before they are all gone and instead of building some mega home for a resident who can't afford the taxes on that monster build and revitalize the shotgun shacks there to beautiful small homes and revitalize the area and bring new energy in. Keep he history but give it a shiny makeover that average people can afford as well.
The tiny house lovers could really do some great things there.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
It would be like 5 miles...? Do you plan on walking to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsin88 View Post
I'll be getting a "I told you so" later on today after I mention to her that we can look at Lawndale area. She loves that area (I liked it too) but my only concern was the drive to work. I'll soon be working near Allen Parkway and 45 so I guess the drive won't be THAT bad. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:32 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Quote:
Eastwood & Idylwood has some great homes but it'll be a drive to work (we work near the galleria area).

Broadmoor is near Bellaire and the Belt, isn't it? I remember that area used to be CRAP. Has it changed drastically in the past 6 years or what?

And where exactly is this "Country Club Place" you are talking about?
Broadmoor and the adjacent Wm. A. Kirby subdivision are part of the Greater Eastwood area -- zip code 77023 -- and are bordered by Telephone, Lockwood and the Gulf Fwy. That part of town is in transition but I don't think anyone can call the area crap -- small remodeled bungalows start at $200K and new homes in the mid-$300's.

Country Club Place is near Idylwood.

Even if home listings in 77023 are scarce, HAR.com still has useful maps and other information.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:36 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I'd love to see one of these tv shows go into some of the wards before they are all gone and instead of building some mega home for a resident who can't afford the taxes on that monster build and revitalize the shotgun shacks there to beautiful small homes and revitalize the area and bring new energy in. Keep he history but give it a shiny makeover that average people can afford as well.
I'd love to see this happen, too! Not only the shotgun houses, but the small frame cottages as well.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
You might giving me the intersection on Rosedale? I'm looking at some homes on Rosedale and definitely would like to drive by the area you are referring to. Thanks!
Rosedale between Ennis and Scott. That's the part I've been to. I know the area decently well and I'd say Wichita and Southmore are pretty good too, but Rosedale is my favorite. People talk a lot of trash about the third ward--and some of it is questionable--but that little corridor south of TSU is really nice.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:32 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Definitely saw some beautiful homes on Rosedale, Wichita St, Rosewood, Arbor, and Ozark St. Does your friend still live in the area? How's her neighborhood like?
There is also that neighborhood across Wheeler from UH. Some streets there are Fiesta, Harvest, and Varsity: http://goo.gl/maps/gVGt5

They have this neighborhood also south of Macgregor (also look at Roseneath and Charleston streets): http://goo.gl/maps/zbp7o

http://goo.gl/maps/NWxZQ

Very very underrated area.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,596 times
I'm in Eastwood and work in the Galleria area. Mornings are fine, evenings can be a crapshoot, it's hard to predict. The nice thing about Eastwood is the heading home via Memorial to 45 South (or even through downtown) isn't too bad since it is right outside downtown. Idylwood would be a tougher sell for me because it would force me to take 59 to 45, with no alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston