Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 5,378 times

Advertisements

Let's be honest here: when people say 3rd Ward is slowly gentrifying, they really mean that Caucasian people are slowly moving there. Gentrification, by definition, is the shift in an urban community to wealthier individuals and businesses, thus increasing property values. That's already happening rapidly in the 3rd Ward and will continue to happen. I personally know of several relatively wealthy individuals building a brand new house or completely renovating a historic house in the 3rd Ward (they just all happen to be non-Caucasian).

In a similar vein, when people say the East End or 3rd Ward doesn't have great grocers, it's not solely based on the grocery selection (although that could be the case). In reality, most people feel uncomfortable shopping with people of a lower-income demographic, particularly if said lower-income demographic is of a different racial/cultural background. So, it's less about people desiring the Whole Foods selections and more about people wanting to shop with the Whole Foods clientele.

Look, I've lived in NYC, London, and other multi-cultural cities so these types of things don't bother me; however, for the many individuals/families urban pioneering in East End, 3rd Ward, the Heights (yes, the Heights is still in the early innings of gentrification and not the urban oasis everyone around here makes it seem), Northside, etc., I understand their tepidness. It will all eventually normalize. It just takes time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:25 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
So here is my question: once gentrification is complete and has done its job, what kind of city are you left with as a result?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 AM

860 posts, read 1,586,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGuy38 View Post
In a similar vein, when people say the East End or 3rd Ward doesn't have great grocers, it's not solely based on the grocery selection (although that could be the case). In reality, most people feel uncomfortable shopping with people of a lower-income demographic, particularly if said lower-income demographic is of a different racial/cultural background. So, it's less about people desiring the Whole Foods selections and more about people wanting to shop with the Whole Foods clientele.
My opinion about East End/Third Ward grocery stores is based on grocery selection, food quality, price and store cleanliness. As a person of mixed heritage and blue-collar origins who actually cooks (as opposed to opening containers and nuking their contents), I couldn't care less about the income/race/culture of the folks next to me in the checkout line!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:11 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
It's not about people not caring for who's shopping there, or about the store itself, in my opinion. I used to live in that neighborhood and would shop those stores, but the selection of food is culturally based, and I don't happen to cook chicken necks. Similar examples throughout the stores. Hard to find the things I wanted.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 PM

12 posts, read 16,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsin88 View Post
I'll be getting a "I told you so" later on today after I mention to her that we can look at Lawndale area. She loves that area (I liked it too) but my only concern was the drive to work. I'll soon be working near Allen Parkway and 45 so I guess the drive won't be THAT bad. Thanks!

I live in Idylwood as well and love it. I work in the Allen Center buildings - basically Allen Parkway and I-45, the commute is about 12 minutes, and I leave at 8:30 which is the bulk of traffic. As travelguy says, you have to be quick, many houses are purchased outside MLS - mine was. Those on MLS don't last long and there's only 1 up for sale right now. We definitely lack a bit of the retail and entertainment optionality that west side ITL Housotn has, but I love it anyways.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 PM

34 posts, read 42,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
It would be like 5 miles...? Do you plan on walking to work?
Not at all. I just don't want a 1 hr - 1 hr 30 minute drive to work (with heavy traffic). I prefer a short commute to work.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickst View Post
I live in Idylwood as well and love it. I work in the Allen Center buildings - basically Allen Parkway and I-45, the commute is about 12 minutes, and I leave at 8:30 which is the bulk of traffic. As travelguy says, you have to be quick, many houses are purchased outside MLS - mine was. Those on MLS don't last long and there's only 1 up for sale right now. We definitely lack a bit of the retail and entertainment optionality that west side ITL Housotn has, but I love it anyways.
I'll be working in that same building soon...so that's good to know!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 PM

What do you guys think about this area? - 77087 Bellfort Ave & Mykawa Road (not too far from Hobby). The prices seem pretty reasonable near that area but I don't know what the demographics look like.

So far we are looking into - Riverside Terrace (however skeptical about the crime rate, driving back home late at night, safety concerns), Lawndale/Idylwood (small lots, nice homes, demographics?), Missouri City (nice homes, big lots, mature trees, work is 25+ miles away), or Hobby area (cheap homes, concerned about the appreciation/depreciation, demographics).

Old 09-23-2014, 02:02 PM

226 posts, read 284,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsin88 View Post
What do you guys think about this area? - 77087 Bellfort Ave & Mykawa Road (not too far from Hobby). The prices seem pretty reasonable near that area but I don't know what the demographics look like.

So far we are looking into - Riverside Terrace (however skeptical about the crime rate, driving back home late at night, safety concerns), Lawndale/Idylwood (small lots, nice homes, demographics?), Missouri City (nice homes, big lots, mature trees, work is 25+ miles away), or Hobby area (cheap homes, concerned about the appreciation/depreciation, demographics).
That area is either in, or is really close to one of the worst parts of the city. I think you should continue looking at Riverside Terrace, Lawndale/Idlywood, and Missouri City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston